Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Wooden Antlers

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer to use and have you had any success at it?

Last season I was with my future father-in-law and we rattled up 3 bucks at one spot, and then a big big 10 point to 25 yards in another spot and had a BLAST doing it. Unfortunately the 10 point didn't offer a shot as it came running in and stopped at 25 yards staring at us. Talk about the blood pumping! We were using real antlers that he's been carrying for years. Unfortunately he decided to trim some more of the tips off and now they don't quite sound right.

I'm going to go through the shed pile tomorrow because I'd like to try rattling some more this year but I'm also am open to other suggestions!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Real antlers that score about 110", good an thick though. Make sure to cut off the brow tines, they hurt like hell when your hands are cold.

Works for me every year, in the area I hunt. Now in another area calling doesn't work worth a darn.

Mine aren't shed, I found them the day after a buck was killed probabley by someone at night. He was only 100yards off a logging rd on public land in a clear cut. He was marked by 5-6 bald eagles in a dead poplar and abot 50 ravens eating him. Real nice rack for the land.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Both Bag and real antlers...heavy and loud!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I used to use real antlers or the fake ones, but the new age bag deal are SO much easier to pack in and keep out of the bushes. So I used them now...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I use the bag.. seems to work pretty well for me..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bring it back up.

·
Land of the Giants!!
4,374 Posts
I use heavy massive sheds that I have found....they are my two biggest sheds and the pair would prob score 140" if they were on a big bucks head. One is a 5 point side and one is a 4 point side. I cut the brows off and I think the mis matched 3 and 4 points on the mainbeams clash perfectly as opposed to if they both had 4 points not counting the missing brows.

The mass measurements on average are probably about 4". They make LOUD deep 100% realistic antler smashing sounds when I'm intentionally trying to get gnarly with them. If I'm trying to tone it down to reach out to the 100-200 yard mark, they easily can be manipulated to tone down.

I just think the rattle bags and the pack racks, etc do not produce NEARLY the realistic & LOUD combination when needing to penetrate wind, rain, or needing to reach out to distant bedding areas.

4.jpg

This guy came in from the cedar bedding area 400 yards away during a rainy windy Kansas cold front on Novem 12, 2010. I rattled 10 minutes after first light for about a minute straight of the loudest antler smashing possible. I could smell bone from the friction and energy. He snuck in 10 minutes later and shot him at 4 yards below my treestand.

5b.jpg

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I always thought about being able to make a ruckus on the ground, but as a tree stand hunter I have yet to figure out a way. I read about a guy who hunted in a large swamp and tied a rope onto a boat anchor that he would lift and drop while rattling to simulate a buck stomping and crashing around. Thought that made sense, but have yet to try it. I think I might tie an extra bow rope onto a log at the base of the stand to rustle around a bit. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I switched to a pack rack and love it. The first time I used it I called a buck into 5 yards of my tree.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Rack pack for me. It worked great for me so Ill leave the bulky real antlers at home. I also was thinking about coming up with a way to make some noise on the ground as well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use heavy massive sheds that I have found....they are my two biggest sheds and the pair would prob score 140" if they were on a big bucks head. One is a 5 point side and one is a 4 point side. I cut the brows off and I think the mis matched 3 and 4 points on the mainbeams clash perfectly as opposed to if they both had 4 points not counting the missing brows.

The mass measurements on average are probably about 4". They make LOUD deep 100% realistic antler smashing sounds when I'm intentionally trying to get gnarly with them. If I'm trying to tone it down to reach out to the 100-200 yard mark, they easily can be manipulated to tone down.

View attachment 1153191
Pretty jealous of those rattling antlers right there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rattle bag is making a strong comeback in the poll

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
314 Posts

I just think the rattle bags and the pack racks, etc do not produce NEARLY the realistic & LOUD combination when needing to penetrate wind, rain, or needing to reach out to distant bedding areas.

View attachment 1153191

This guy came in from the cedar bedding area 400 yards away during a rainy windy Kansas cold front on Novem 12, 2010. I rattled 10 minutes after first light for about a minute straight of the loudest antler smashing possible. I could smell bone from the friction and energy. He snuck in 10 minutes later and shot him at 4 yards below my treestand.

View attachment 1153194
Beautiful pictures. Man what a beast.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
use real antlers, nothing can beat the noise, because nothing else is the real deal. i have a pair off an 8 point my dad shot i use

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
although a guy down the road had a great idea, he took a rattle bag, dumped the dowel rods out, and cut up a bunch of antlers and tines into pieces about 6" long, and put them back in the bag, it sounds real good compared to wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts