Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided to try one of the Ravins. The compact size just fits my treestand setups and hunting style best, so I think I need to try one out.

Are there pros and cons to each besides speed and cost?

Would the R15 be better for single pin hunting with a 30-35 yard zero, or are they both similar at that range? How about to 40 yards?

How loud are each shooting outside?

· Registered
1,027 Posts
What if the price difference was closer, like $200 more?

Is the R15 flat out better, or is it less accurate, louder, mores string wear? Im just throwing out guesses here. Is there any downside to the R15 compared to the R9?
That would make me think harder! Would probably convince myself! Although for my hunting conditions, the R9 is more than I need.

· Registered
392 Posts
I split 2 arrows just trying to sight in my R15. At the end of the day I don't think there's a difference other than the obvious speed and cost. However a faster bow is clearly going to be better for a single pin. Common sense says the drop in the arrow would be less at the same yardage mark. How much less? I don't know but somebody on here that's smarter than me does lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Anti Fanboy
49,416 Posts
I try to avoid telling a person how to spend their money. But if I had the disposable income it would be the R15 for me (in terms of a Ravin). No doubt about it.

One of the factors that made the "had to be transition to crossbows" a little less painless for this ole boy was the fact I could shoot a larger cut mech broad head at a faster speed. I don't even consider using a small cut fixed blade. If I wanted to do that I could go back to verticals and drop down to a 45# bow if need be.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They both felt the same in person. The R15 seemed louder to me. I like the extra speed, but it doesn't appear to be a huge difference in terms of trajectory, with a 30 yard zero for example.

The R9 will be a huge upgrade in performance over my 330fps Tenpoint, so I may get the R9. I would think Ill be plenty happy with the 390-395 its putting out compared to what Im used to. The money is important to me, I was just curious if people thought it was clearly better or not. I think Ill save my $500 for now and try the R9.

I may have my hunting pal talked into buying the R15 so then I can compare them myself all season long.

· Registered
20,175 Posts
I have r9 like it but it's loud to me and the R15 is a little louder.

I know my r9 don't shoot those special order tactical tapps spine and weight matched worth a crap, it shoots the original Ravin arrows alot better, and now have the BE .001 on there way to try. I know it's picky on arrows. Sure wish I would not off spent 225+ on a dz TT arrows

· Registered
1,027 Posts

I know my r9 don't shoot those special order tactical tapps spine and weight matched worth a crap, it shoots the original Ravin arrows alot better, and now have the BE .001 on there way to try. I know it's picky on arrows. Sure wish I would not off spent 225+ on a dz TT arrows
Same here! BigBird, who's work I highly respect, has concluded that the .001 BEE's shoot better than Tapp's out of the Ravin. My TT's don't shoot real bad, but not as good as Ravin .003's.

· Registered
20,175 Posts
Same here! BigBird, who's work I highly respect, has concluded that the .001 BEE's shoot better than Tapp's out of the Ravin. My TT's don't shoot real bad, but not as good as Ravin .003's.
Yep sucks spent alot off money on those TT that Dealer said is what I need. Have high hopes for the bee .001

· Registered
9,238 Posts

I don't understand the cost. That is $18.75 per arrow you quoted.
Wait...I just looked and he is getting $31.95 each now. You got a good deal. :mg:

http://www.tapp-nation.com/product_info.php?cPath=95_139_140&products_id=4607

They were around $120 a dozen.

· Jesus Follower
16,268 Posts

· Registered
20,175 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.