Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Colorado - Elk Hunting Public Land Questions

Anyone have any suggestions on which blocks to look at for lottery and also over the counter tags for Colorado?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Huntscore has worked well for me, and then I usually take the information gathered and go on to Huntalk with that specific unit and see who has hunted it, success, etc. I suppose I will start coming here too. This is assuming by hunt block you mean GMU (Game management unit).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MrIncredible, it will be good to have a resource besides listening to the podcast. Excited to check out both this weekend, and yes I guess I mean GMU, just learned that term yesterday actually, I originally just thought block was the term from something I heard on youtube which was probably inaccurate...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lived there for the last 5 years, its honestly not great OTC. It can be done but there are so many better states. I had some luck in unit 37 and I believe it was 28 just west of Rollinsville CO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out their online hunt planner. Most of the western states have them now, and they're generally pretty useful.

There's tons of podcasts out there with good elk hunting info, too. The more effort you put into preparation, the better off you'll be when you actually get there!

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you decide on one or several GMU's, make sure to look at OnX or another app which shows private land boundaries. Some OTC and even lottery units are peppered with private land. The animals seem to be property surveyors in the off season, since they know where to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you decide on one or several GMU's, make sure to look at OnX or another app which shows private land boundaries. Some OTC and even lottery units are peppered with private land. The animals seem to be property surveyors in the off season, since they know where to go.
Ill second the OnX Hunt app and map chip if you have GPS unit. Lines get blurry in areas you may not have hunted or when you crested 3 false summits and finally find that valley! Also have put some land owners in their place with the apps and GPS showing I hadn't drifted.

Good luck!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,841 Posts
Gotta be a thread stated once a week in the western section with the same question.

I bet if you use the search feature here....you will have 6 months of reading.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions on which blocks to look at for lottery and also over the counter tags for Colorado?
What's this lottery you speak of for elk tags?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts