Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to re-serve the center serving on one of my bows, but this bow doesn't have enough room between the cables and string. Of course I could take my string off, but I don't have a great way to keep it tight enough while serving it.

How are people overcoming the issue of a serving jig that's too big for getting between your cables and your string? Bohning used to make a String separator you'd put up against your string, but they are not as easy to find now days. I am not sure if they are still making them or not? I know Lancaster doesn't carry such a tool anymore (per their customer service).

Thanks in advance!

Registered
You can make a spreader from a couple of old arrows and some nocks

Alternately, use an old belt or piece of webbing to pull the cables toward the riser. Wrap the cables and riser and snug it until you have the space you need.

Reactions: Im just husky

Registered
In one case, I didn't bother with the string server tool or spreading. I just tied off both ends of the existing serving, then served only the bare center portion wrapping one loop at a time with just the serving string. Worked fine, just took slightly longer.

Registered
I have the same issue with my bow so i take my string out use two ratchet straps in between two poles (clothes hanger steel poles cemented into the ground) and once i get my string tight i use a peg in the ground and tie it to the strap so it doesnt untwist the string and i sit in the grass and reserve it. The string is way tighter then on the bow im not sure how many lbs. small kine back yard action but it works great for me.

Registered
On my bow, I backed out the limb bolts a number of turns, then pulled the cables closer to the riser with small bungee cords. Perhaps this technique would work with your bow?
I have done basically that a few times many years back. Now I just make a new set of strings.....LOL

Registered
I have the same issue with my bow so i take my string out use two ratchet straps in between two poles (clothes hanger steel poles cemented into the ground) and once i get my string tight i use a peg in the ground and tie it to the strap so it doesnt untwist the string and i sit in the grass and reserve it. The string is way tighter then on the bow im not sure how many lbs. small kine back yard action but it works great for me.
You my friend need a string jig.....LOL

Registered
This thread is giving me anxiety. Honestly the ratchet idea is the best method of the ones listed here. Even on the bow there isn't enough tension on the steing to do a proper job reserving it. It really does need to be pulled to do it right.

Registered
This thread is giving me anxiety. Honestly the ratchet idea is the best method of the ones listed here. Even on the bow there isn't enough tension on the steing to do a proper job reserving it. It really does need to be pulled to do it right.
You have a point. I serve my strings with over 300lbs of tension on the string or cable. I think any of these ideas would work in a pinch or for a temporary repair but you are correct more tension is really needed to do a first rate repair.

Reactions: Im just husky

Registered
The sad truth is many shops don't have an in house thing builder so they have no need for a string jig.

This means, if you ask them to repair a serving they will not have a way to do it properly. It will most likely be done right on the bow.

This is why I suggest getting or building some sort of string jig if archery is something you take seriously.

I am primarily a competitive archer and there is no way I could be competitive if I was counting on others in my area to do this kind of work for me.

Registered
I'm thinking that if our OP is desperate enough, he could try something like this:
Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

Attach the string to the stud behind a wall over a counter, and to a 2x4. Stick the 2x4 into the toe clearance of the counter. Stand on the end of the 2x4 to apply the needed tension. If my physics memories are still intact, the setup above should give him 3 times his body weight will be applied to the string if he stands on the end of that board. (4 x 6 = 24. If one side lever is D away from the fulcrum, and other side of the lever is N times D away from the fulcrum, the advantage is (N - 1)). Hopefully some real engineers here can help my old brain.

Registered
Over the years i have served quite a few of my strings on the bow. they seem to hold up well, no issues. I have used many different items with rounded edges to jam in and give me room. But then again I have done a lot of things with less than state of the art/proper tools!!!

Registered
I have a Spigarelli jig and needing to re-serve my TRX36
I鈥檝e reserved my no cam few times now and I鈥檝e never ran into clearance issues really. I mean it鈥檚 tight and I鈥檓 an amateur but it worked. I know if I was really spinning the jig I would slap my cable guard but other than that it worked fine. I wish I could be of more help here bud. Best of luck to you

Registered
This happened to me this year and really ticked me off, I feel like I am in a constant battle with my peep now.
I hate fighting a peep !!!! I am super anal about my gear so that would push me right over the top.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts