Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just bought a Bear Black Panther Hunter off craigslist. It was in rough shape so I am trying to restore it a bit. I took off the finish, but there are some areas on the riser that have been sanded down quite a bit from something. I am able to see what looks like the original brown colored wood. Is there a way to get this area back to the black color that Panthers originally have? Should I sand down the whole riser to where the black color is gone, and then stain it again? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
I'd sand the whole riser down to bare wood and restain. I think you would have a hard time blending any newly stained spots into the original parts of the riser.

The tricky part is going to be, what to do with the limb core laminations? From the photos I saw they are natural, it's going to be tough to stain the riser and leave the cores unstained. Or you could sand the whole bow down and stain all the wood black.

Is the unstained wood attractive? Maybe just leaving it natural would be an alternative, although it wouldn't be accurately restored.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would also sand the whole riser and restain. Consider giving The Nocking Point a call and ask them about their "black wood die". It comes in powder form and you mix it with denatured alcohol. I have used it before to die wood shafts and you can adjust the transparency to pitch black if desired.

www.thenockingpoint.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into the nocking point.

Easy, the unstained wood probably looks nice, but I really want that black color like a panther. Hopefully it comes out well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts