Archery Talk Forum banner

Real world fifference between a 350 fps and 315fps bow?

10895 Views 49 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  206Moose
I mean, for a while now ive shot my Mathews Switchback IBO Rated at 318fps but shooting about 275fps in my hunting setup. I shoot it well out to 60 meters, i can keep 6 hunting arrows in the yellow of a Fita target which is plenty good for me.
On my single pin sight i have about a 3/4 inch difference in elevation between 10 and 60 meters.

So my question is, with a speed bow rated at like 350fps IBO and shooting similar weighted hunting arrows ( 460Gn), how much flatter will my trajectory be?

Will it be so noticable that when it will make me want to go out and buy one cause i need to hold over so much less and make elevation allowances that much less?

Maybe a trajectory calculator may answer my question, any one where id find one online if that being the case?

Cheers
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,204 Posts
i switched from a SBXT to an 82nd. i was getting 285-290 from the SBXT now i get 320 from the 82nd (306fps @ 25yds). real world? broadheads are more complicated at 320, pin gap is noticeably smaller from 30 to 90yds(got rid of my 20 pin), and mostly i'm a KE freak & i like 95ft/lbs alot.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
I'll have to hunt down the ballistics/trajectory chart I saw posted. Long story short, most people would be amazed at how little the difference is in POI between a barn burner and a moderate speed bow. Plain and simple from what the chart showed it was only like a 2" difference on a shot that was 45 yards but the person shot it for 42. Both shots were still kill shots, one just hit lower.

As elk country mentioned though, the biggest positive to a speed bow is the fact that you can shoot a log of an arrow at 280 fps + and produce an insane amount of KE :cool:

· Registered
Rytera Nemesis, Easton Pro Hunters, Muzzy 3 blade, tru-Ball hinge release.
2,119 Posts
Why bother!!!

Keep up the good shooting and forget about the hype! Speed kills but what most guys see first hand is that it kills there accuracy more then bulls eyes or deer, stick to the killer set up you have and don't fall for the hype that more speed makes for a better bow!!! Good luck and shoot straight.:thumbs_up

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Don't worry about the speed. That speed comes at a price, and it's usually shootability. And the KE issue? Phooey. 35# will produce a pass through on a 200+ pound whitetail with a sharp head. Unless, of course, you hit a large bone....but then we come back to the bit about shootability. ;) Shot placement is the key regardless of what you're shooting.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Don't worry about the speed. That speed comes at a price, and it's usually shootability. And the KE issue? Phooey. 35# will produce a pass through on a 200+ pound whitetail with a sharp head. Unless, of course, you hit a large bone....but then we come back to the bit about shootability. ;) Shot placement is the key regardless of what you're shooting.

I agree for the most part. My point though was that someone could shoot a 600 grain arrow at a very managable 280 fps (for example) as opposed to having to shoot a 400 grain arrow to get that speed. Not saying you need 100# of KE to kill a deer but if you can get it then why not?

For the record, I'm shooting a 457 grain arrow @ roughly 280 fps so I am not a speed freak :thumbs_up

· Registered
47,636 Posts
I agree for the most part. My point though was that someone could shoot a 600 grain arrow at a very managable 280 fps (for example) as opposed to having to shoot a 400 grain arrow to get that speed. Not saying you need 100# of KE to kill a deer but if you can get it then why not?

For the record, I'm shooting a 457 grain arrow @ roughly 280 fps so I am not a speed freak :thumbs_up
Oh, I agree. But stiff draws, sore joints or increased chances of joint damage, reduced practice times and so on ALSO come with speed bows, which is something the speed freaks never talk about. They never seem as easy or enjoyable to shoot, unless shot at very low DW. Plus they almost always have lower letoff and short brace heights, neither of those good traits for hunting rigs. It seems designers are making the bows with a target speed in mind then designing the bow to meet it just for the speed crowd. Even when some aspects wouldn't be beneficial to a hunting bow, but still market it to bowhunters. :confused3:

· Registered
12,613 Posts
I mean, for a while now ive shot my Mathews Switchback IBO Rated at 318fps but shooting about 275fps in my hunting setup. I shoot it well out to 60 meters, i can keep 6 hunting arrows in the yellow of a Fita target which is plenty good for me.
On my single pin sight i have about a 3/4 inch difference in elevation between 10 and 60 meters.

So my question is, with a speed bow rated at like 350fps IBO and shooting similar weighted hunting arrows ( 460Gn), how much flatter will my trajectory be?

Will it be so noticable that when it will make me want to go out and buy one cause i need to hold over so much less and make elevation allowances that much less?

Maybe a trajectory calculator may answer my question, any one where id find one online if that being the case?

Cheers
You'll find scant few hunting bows at any speed that shoot as well as the Switchback at any speed.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmmm...so the arrow balistics calculator shows that there is nothing in it...i mean i cant even see a couple of inches difference at 50 meters. And KE is not a problem either....so why do people kill themselves with super hard draws in the quest for an inch or 2 max at normal hunting ranges?
Beats me :rolleyes:

· Registered
915 Posts
with a speedbow rated 350fps Vs regular-speed bow , you can shoot 10# less
poundage to achieve same speed .
so the stiff-draw associated with speed-bows is not so stiff and draw become easier .
compare a 70# switchback and a 60# X-force regarding draw and you'll see that the speedbow is easier to draw .

about shootability i agree with you , but most of the time you don't need the
accuracy of a FITA Bow :dontknow:........

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Not much if you increase draw weight by about 10-15# on the slower bow.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Hmmmmm...so the arrow balistics calculator shows that there is nothing in it...i mean i cant even see a couple of inches difference at 50 meters.
With my Old Glory setup in my signature, if I turn the limb bolts out one turn.....my arrows impact 4" lower at 60 yards. I have never chrono'd the bow at this setup so I have no idea how much slower it is than with the limbs fully cranked down. The OG is IBO 316fps, so if I was shooting a 350 IBO bow with the same arrows, I would assume that there would be a significant difference at this distance.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Oh, I agree. But stiff draws, sore joints or increased chances of joint damage, reduced practice times and so on ALSO come with speed bows, which is something the speed freaks never talk about. They never seem as easy or enjoyable to shoot, unless shot at very low DW. Plus they almost always have lower letoff and short brace heights, neither of those good traits for hunting rigs. It seems designers are making the bows with a target speed in mind then designing the bow to meet it just for the speed crowd. Even when some aspects wouldn't be beneficial to a hunting bow, but still market it to bowhunters. :confused3:
I agree, shootability is something you can't put a number too. Speed you can.

· How`s it going eh?
4,083 Posts
If you are talking real world differences then what does it matter if the flight path is flatter.A 315 bow and a 350 bow sighted in at 35 yards both hit the same spot at 35 yards what does it matter if one is a little flatter.If you pull the trigger when your pin is one inch higher then when you intended each bow will still hit one inch high just where your pin was when you let go.The only real world difference is if you ranged the animal at 35 but by the time you shot he had moved to 37 and you still shot for 35.So in the real world you would only be seeing the difference between the two on a matter of only a couple yards.So the difference in drop from a 315 versus a 350 over a couple of yards is what the real world difference is and I sure can`t imagine that being anything significant!!!

· Registered
174 Posts
I chose an 82nd airborne for the kinetic energy, due to the variety of game that I will hunt with it. I have plans to hunt plains game in Namibia, so when your tackling an eland/zebra/wildebeest I want all the KE that I can get. Max draw weight, max arrow weight. It was more about flexibility with one bow. Then I can crank her down to 61 or 62 and have an easy to manage,quiet shooter that would blow through any whitetail. Or I can drop to a lightweight shaft and have a 3d rig with max margin of error.
Regardless of what a guy/gal chooses to shoot, there are sacrifices that have to be made, be it speed, noise, shootability. As much as we would all like to claim our bow does it all, with out giving something up, I don't think that there is such a bow.
Lets just be glad that we have a bunch of bows out there that are close to perfect. How much fun would it be if nobody could bash their buddies bow?

· Registered
197 Posts
The difference comes when you don't know the distance. The flatter shooting bow will be more forgiving for those of us that can't always tell what pin we should be using. So if your great at judging distance the flatter shooting bow wiil not help much.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a Switchback LD and an Elite hybrid. The Elite shoots a 375gr arrow 335fps and a 465gr arrow 305. I'm not sure how fast the SBLD is shooting, but I figure it to be about 50 fps slower. Both are 31"/70#. With the lighter arrows in the SBLD, the pin gap is just a tad wider, but the heavier arrows are much more noticeable. I'll try to take some pics today.

For the record, I picked up the SBLD for my short range treestand bow. It looks like its gonna be a great choice so far.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.