Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm firmly stuck in the arrow selection rabbit hole. Interested to hear some experiences and setups. My SR6 is at 62 lbs peak draw, shooting 100g heads and 30" Easton Axis 340's. Looking at Easton's arrow chart, they put me in 260's or 300's for the Axis after you add 10 lbs for the SR6's high IBO speed and 5 lbs for the 6" riser, as the fine print tells you to do. Have looked at other manufacturers and it seems the industry is all over the place! Anybody have similar experiences trying to build a new arrow setup for their bow?

·
Registered
257 Posts
After repeating the same setup for years I finally dive into a custom build. Go to forever was GT Hunter Pro 400’s with 100 grain gravedigger. My SR6 is 60lbs 28 inch draw. Sirius Archery built me an arrow (their Apollo shaft) that is gonna out my FOC from 9 percent to well over 20! Look up the Ranch Fairy on YouTube. He put me in touch with the guys at Sirius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8,547 Posts
Hi....have 2 setups for 2 60 lb SR6. The first is for the 61 lb SR6.... .350 Black Eagle X impact with 170 grains up front (outsert plus bh)....28 inches from nock throat to end of outsert with 4 fletch X2 vane, top hat end protector, and easton g nock for a total weight of 401 grains. This arrow is about 16-17 % FOC. The next is for my 63 lb SR6.... .350 Black Eagle Deep impact with 167 up front (outsert plus bh)....28.5 inches from nock throat to end of outsert with 4 fletch heat vane and easton g nock for a total weight of 468 grains....the FOC on this one runs at about 15%.The 401 grain is 280-281 fps and the 468 is 261-262 fps. Hope this helps.
Fred

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just plugged your specs into my software and assuming the 30" is the arrow length and not the draw length, you should be shooting 300 spine Axis. 260's would be a touch stiff and 340's are really weak.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am using the Gold Tip Airstrikes 340 spine with all factory hardware and 100 grain tips.
SR6 at 27 inch draw and 65 pound pull. These work great.

I also use the Gold Tip Platinum Pierce that also work very well.
Both arrows are around 18% foc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just plugged your specs into my software and assuming the 30" is the arrow length and not the draw length, you should be shooting 300 spine Axis. 260's would be a touch stiff and 340's are really weak.
Thanks for doing that! Was leaning towards the 300's then tweak components for GPP/FOC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi....have 2 setups for 2 60 lb SR6. The first is for the 61 lb SR6.... .350 Black Eagle X impact with 170 grains up front (outsert plus bh)....28 inches from nock throat to end of outsert with 4 fletch X2 vane, top hat end protector, and easton g nock for a total weight of 401 grains. This arrow is about 16-17 % FOC. The next is for my 63 lb SR6.... .350 Black Eagle Deep impact with 167 up front (outsert plus bh)....28.5 inches from nock throat to end of outsert with 4 fletch heat vane and easton g nock for a total weight of 468 grains....the FOC on this one runs at about 15%.The 401 grain is 280-281 fps and the 468 is 261-262 fps. Hope this helps.
Fred
Both setups shooting in "performance/comfort" or each different?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for doing that! Was leaning towards the 300's then tweak components for GPP/FOC.
If you want, let me know what you are thinking interms of GPP and FOC and I can plug information in and help you come up with a good arrow for your set up. If you are interested PM me and I can send you some questions to get all the info I need for your set up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want, let me know what you are thinking interms of GPP and FOC and I can plug information in and help you come up with a good arrow for your set up. If you are interested PM me and I can send you some questions to
get all the info I need for your set up.
Oops, didn't see this til after I just bought a dozen. Ended up going with Black Eagle Spartan 300's at 27.5". Don't know how my arrow length got so far off. The specs on those seemed to give me the best spine/gpi ratio I was looking for
in a medium diameter arrow and allows me to tweak gpp and foc with components. I appreciate the offer and might still take you up on it because it would be good to know anyways.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Oops, didn't see this til after I just bought a dozen. Ended up going with Black Eagle Spartan 300's at 27.5". Don't know how my arrow length got so far off. The specs on those seemed to give me the best spine/gpi ratio I was looking for
in a medium diameter arrow and allows me to tweak gpp and foc with components. I appreciate the offer and might still take you up on it because it would be good to know anyways.
What is your draw length?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is your draw length?
29"

·
Registered
634 Posts

FYI, if you stay at 62 pounds with that arrow and length you can add up to roughly 250 grains to the front of the arrow (point and insert) to get the perfect spine. It will also give you roughly 18.5% to 19.5% FOC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI, if you stay at 62 pounds with that arrow and length you can add up to roughly 250 grains to the front of the arrow (point and insert) to get the perfect spine. It will also give you roughly 18.5% to 19.5% FOC.[/QUOTE]

Good to know! I wasn't planning on that much weight up front, but will test it out now. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I just set up my new 60lb SR6 the other day, it replaced my 60lb experience, I just used my 400 spine fmjs, my draw is at 28" and arrows are around the same. I haven't tuned it yet, other than timing the cams, i will shoot through paper today and see, my arrows appear to be flying good.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,920 Posts
so the Op went from wanting help with a 30 inch arrow, then bought 27.5 inch (which are way over spined) and says his draw length is 29 inches?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Only he knows if it will work. I can only let him know what the spine will be like. If he does choose to add a bunch of weight up front as he suggests then his arrow could work out fine. Sometimes we learn best by playing around with things...although 30" to 27.5" does seem extreme.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts