Archery Talk Forum banner

Rear Mounted Side Bar

7971 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  fountain
I'm just wondering if I should use the lower rear mounting hole on my bow for the side rod, or have it come from the same mounting hole as the front stab. I'm trying to build a target setup, and I'm not sure if mounting from the different point will make a difference. Any help would be awesome!!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Makes a big difference. Try both, see what holds better. Then choose the setup that feels best / the one you shoot better scores with.

I usually prefer using the rear mount low down, just because I personally like to put the weight right down next to the bottom cam, or below.

· Registered
4,406 Posts
I am putting together a target setup as well, and the bow i purchased (Xpedition Perfexion) has a rear stabilizer mounting hole. I am going to use a B-Stinger Side Bar Elite, which is connected via the front stabilizer mounting hole. Aside from already having it, i think the one-piece front/side quick-detach stabilizer mounts look cleaner than using two different ones.

I don't know if there is an advantage to using one over the other. Maybe the rear stabilizer mount allows the weight to be distributed or concentrated in different spots. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the merits of each.

· Registered
2,164 Posts
I shoot the IBO shoots so for my class SHC the stab has to originate from the same location as the front so I can't use the rear mounting location.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
I'd like to see a nitrum with one mounted low..what is needed for that?
Doinker dca and several other companies make riser mounts for rear bars. They go in the hole of the riser

· Registered
7,102 Posts
I am putting together a target setup as well, and the bow i purchased (Xpedition Perfexion) has a rear stabilizer mounting hole. I am going to use a B-Stinger Side Bar Elite, which is connected via the front stabilizer mounting hole. Aside from already having it, i think the one-piece front/side quick-detach stabilizer mounts look cleaner than using two different ones.

I don't know if there is an advantage to using one over the other. Maybe the rear stabilizer mount allows the weight to be distributed or concentrated in different spots. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the merits of each.
Although I'm not a target archer (I shoot a little 3D), I have a Perfexion (love it!) and I use the rear mount system kicking a 6" stabilizer out at about a 45 degree angle. Works well for me although the bow balances pretty well without any rear stabilizer.

· Registered
2,141 Posts
It all depends on many variables...even two identical bows will have a preference in regards to the shooter.

Most mounts that will work on a rear/low riser mount location, 5/16 thread, will also work on the front behind the front QD...so, try both for a while and see what gives you the best scoring results.

Notice I said "scoring results" and not what 'feels' best...those are often exclusive of each other when first trying something you're not used to.

In general, a lower/rear mounted side-bar will give you more side 'kick' torque around the vertical axis of the bow, and a sideways/rearward kick at the shot, but a more 'locked in' feel for those who tend to shoot with lower/palm grip pressure and need the bow setup to bias weight/resistance against the shooter's applied direction of input pressure . This mount position also produces more side, almost pulling down, biased feel at anchor. Your stronger 'active shot execution' type persons will tend to like this feel better. This type of setup will also work better for persons who like to get a solid sight picture through manipulating weights/stab length/positions over fine-tuning the bow.

A front mounted side-bar will usually result in a more 'neutral' balanced feel which will benefit/feel better for someone with a more relaxed and/or high grip position. The bow will tend to kick forward/downward at the shot.
This type of setup generally favors a more 'relaxed' type of shot execution. This type of setup works better for persons who prefer a neutrally balanced bow and really fine-tune their bow for the sight picture they want.

These are just my observations from playing with my own setups and helping others get dialed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.