Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone knows the smaller in diameter the rear peep is the less light it will pass come dusk/dawn. Add on to that, every peep I have ever seen comes in one color-black. This isn’t condusive to light transmission either. I’m sure I’m not inventing the wheel here, but I have to ask….Has anyone tried using white paint on the insides of their peep to help in the twilight hours? What kind of result if any did you get?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sun

I have not tried it with the white, I would think that in the sun it would contras a haze in your site picture. Use a peep that has a 1/4'' hole and you wont have any issue with light.....:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't use a peep anymore. To many times the darn thing would twist or freakin break at the wrong time...murphys law

When I did use an aluminum one, I used a small drill bit to counter sink the outside which made it shiny and it gathered light very well for dusk and dawn hunting.

gl

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Black reduces glare. Your eye muscles cause the pupil to constrict in bright light and dilate in dim light. They're constantly adjusting to whatever light is present for the best picture. A white peep would dilate your eye, overwellming your retina with more light than required and make it harder to see your target clearly. Similar to using too large of an F-stop on a camera lense.

I paint mine with a Sharpie to be as dull black as possible.

:cocktail:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am going away from a peep after a 10 yard encounter with an angry/horny moose. I drew my bow several times in marginal light and could not see through my peep. I am looking into other options like a no peep or an anchor sight. The more I hunt the less impressed I am with peep sights.

·
Lou & Jode
10,782 Posts
White will reflect too much light.There is a new product out that deals with that issue,I believe it's called Meta peep the color is a light blue,one of the guys we shoot with uses a 1/4" one,he likes it.They cost about twice as much as a Fletcher peep-about $8,they look just like a Fletcher but their blue,they also are made out of magnesium so they are 50% lighter than alumium.

About Uncle Caveman,when a bear is chasing you you don't have to out run the bear just the person your with!

·
Banned
910 Posts
matte or flat black is for glare reduction.a peep doesnt transmit light.....it isnt an optical instrument. the bigger the whole size the more light will be able to be scene thru your peep. color will not allow it to be more effective, only the size of the whole and the amount of available light.if hunting , go with a 3/16" min.its pretty much that simple with peeps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hunt Alaska said:
I am going away from a peep after a 10 yard encounter with an angry/horny moose. I drew my bow several times in marginal light and could not see through my peep. I am looking into other options like a no peep or an anchor sight. The more I hunt the less impressed I am with peep sights.
Amen

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
At 10 yards, just look around the dang thing. You are only going to miss by a couple inches at that distance.

No way am I not going to hunt without a peep. I can and will take shots out to 50 yds. and the only way I can see to be consistant at those distances is with a peep.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
There was a post on here about serving a bright colored thread on the string where the peep would go, and putting the pins up against the side of it to shoot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 10 yard encounter was not an open broadside shot. Rather threading the needle through head high brush, with a moose grunting and blowing snot out his nose. I couldnt in good faith take the shot. I could see my pins clearly w/o the peep but a few inches off could be a wounded animal which I refuse to do. I will continue to explore the no peep options. After all olympians do it at 90 yds. I feel good to 60 now and if I can feel good to 50 w/o a peep I'm a happy hunter.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
AKDoug said:
At 10 yards, just look around the dang thing. You are only going to miss by a couple inches at that distance.

No way am I not going to hunt without a peep. I can and will take shots out to 50 yds. and the only way I can see to be consistant at those distances is with a peep.
I love my peep, I have tried the anchor sight but it is more for people who arent disciplined enough to form consistent grip or anchor point. I have lighted pins and shoot till dark every night with my peep, without problems.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I've been shooting a 3/16" and a 1/4" blue Meta peep and if it is too dark to shoot with that combination then it is probably too dark to be shooting. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts