1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
421 Posts
go to northerntool.com and get one of their hand grinders that has the v-belt wheel. The go and buy any motor/v-belt you want at a hardware store or better yet a farm type sale. Then bolt them to a piece of wood and away you go. I have one like this and it'll take your arm if your not careful.

:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shooterscool said:
I have one like this and it'll take your arm if your not careful.
How do you keep your fingers out of the belt? It seems like the exposed belt would be hazardous to my fingers, you know? And where do you come up with a reasonably priced motor?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
meat grinder

Hi Jim

Good grinders and cheap don't go to gather. If you want a grinder that will do the work, you will need to buy a grinder sized at least a #12 or bigger with a 3/4 HP motor or bigger. I finally bought a #22 grinder with a 3/4 HP motor and it does the job, 1 time grind hamburger just like the butcher shop. It came from westonsupply.com a Traspode the same as Cabela's but less money.

Jim

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree cheap grinders and good grinders are two different things. I just bought a new grinder from pleasanthillgrain.com and could'nt be happier with it. They have really good customer service an 800 number and great products , check them out and they can set you up with what you need. Talk with Gary and tell him the bow hunter that found the money sent you. A good grinder is a life long investment so don't hold back, it's money well spent.

·
Registered
564 Posts
MAVERICK

Find a Maverick and buy it! They are available on the web. I have one and it is an awesome piece of meat eating equipment. I have bought and returned several other grinders before I borrowed a buddy's Maverick. After using his, I was hooked. My first time using mine was grinding up a grisly old axis buck. The Maverick made short work out of everything I threw at it. You can pick up a Mav for about $120.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Grinder

If you happen to have a KitchenAid Mixer, they make a great grinder attachement you can get for less than $40. Been using mine for five years and it works great.

You could always get your wife the mixer (just because you're a great guy), and then get the grinder for yourself ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again Russ

I'm open to the idea of a homemade grinder, but I haven't figured out where to come up with a cheap reliable motor. Also, the exposed belt worries me. Think I could make up a plexiglass shield to go around the belt?

BowD,
Which Maverick did you get (model #)?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
421 Posts
Jim,

Down on the farm we dont worry too much about no little ol' exposed belt much. Just bolt the thing down to the wood where the belt is on the other side of the grinder from where you stand. It's really not that big of a deal. Besides, youre not going to get a 3000 rpm motor anyway (no need).
As far as where to find one, I surf the farm sales and auctions in the area from the local newspaper. You can find all kinds of stuff there for a very good price. That's where I got mine. You should be able to get the grinder for around 50-60 bones then find a motor for whatever you can haggle it down to. For this job a v-belt is a v-belt. The length is not an issue....just move the motor before you bolt her down.
Look around, you may have a suitable motor right under your nose. Think outside the box a bit and you'll be suprised at what you can come up with. Look at Gilligans Island. The professor would have hand some ramshakle bamboo bike with a vine off the wheel attached to the grinder and had poor Gilligan peddling away till the job was done:p
I wish you luck with this. I think if you do some searching you can save a bunch of money and have an excellent grinder. I hope that I have in some way helped, not just further frustrated you.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Making a shield should be easy, I've never thought about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts