Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you recommend a Expandable? I shoot a Hoyt MagnaTec...Maxima Hunter 250 arrows....220 fps @ 55 lbs. Thanks, Jay

And do they fly as well as field tips?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Broadhead

I'd give the New Archery Products Shockwave a try they cut 1 1/4" have an O ring and perform great for me. You'll probably do fine with them

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I would not recommend using mechanicals if you are only shooting 220 F.P.S. fixed blades will fly just fine at that speed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wasp

I've been using Wasp Jack-Hammers for years. The tip is unbelievably sharp. I always get great penetration and a huge hole. Double-lung a whitetail and he'll blow blood all over the place.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I don't see why fixed blades wouldn't work just fine for you, but if you're set on expandables, you might try Rocky Mountain Snypers. Very good performance.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
SneakyTree said:
I don't see why fixed blades wouldn't work just fine for you, but if you're set on expandables, you might try Rocky Mountain Snypers. Very good performance.

Because unless he is shooting an arrow that weighs in the 550 grain range he has no KE.

With your setup you don't need to be shooting a mechanical head.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Maxima Hunter 250 arrows....220 fps @ 55 lbs
No
8gpi shooting 220fps I would recommend a cut on contact head.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
TMart3D said:
Snypers All The Way.

Are you guys paying attention?????

He doesn't have enough KE to shoot mechanical heads.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
Are you guys paying attention?????
Like usual it's a "what brand do you shoot"-fest, most likely only reading the title and nothing else.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Myk said:
Like usual it's a "what brand do you shoot"-fest, most likely only reading the title and nothing else.

And we wonder why people complain about mech heads not working.

·
Banned
910 Posts
yo brownie....I Have some NAP splitfire and Shockwaves. I like the the shockwaves. they Splitfires use lil friction pieces to hold the blades in and the shockwave uses an O-ring Behind the blades in a groove in the ferrule.NAP states if the blades are moved out a couple times the friction pieces may not hold the blade from expanding in flight. I use an Aluminum broadhead washer between the head and insert. 2-3 gr maybe? I have killed a couple deer and a Hog spine shot and the head went thru the spine and just bent the blades a lil bit, after blade and o ring replacement put it back in my Quiver. (I have seen a couple other deer shot with the Shockwaves too. There reasonable and can usually picked up at most walmarts that arent urban.Both heads use the same blades, just the ferrule/point/ blade retention is a lil different.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
broadhead

at the speed you are shooting for whitetail I would recomend you use steel force broadheads or a cut on contact head like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not dead set on shooting mech., and by the sounds of it ...I may not be able to. I have Nap Thunderheads....but I can't seem to get them to fly well...last year I had no problems...but this year I upgraded arrows....now I can't figure it out....not done trying...but, just heard some good things about mech....and like the idea of field point accuracy....I dead on with my field points. What's the min. speed for shooting mech's? Am I even close to being able to use them?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Broadheads

I don't know where you "experts" come from I have shot a good bunch of deer with a mechanical broadhead with my old Mq1 shooting 222 fps complete pass thrus. As far as I'm concerned....well it doesnt matter what the hell do I know.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts