1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
Bateman cordovan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Safari Tuff tabs are nice. Very well made. I bought one direct from Rod (his shop is right down the road) and got a fairly thin one. They can vary in thickness so maybe ask for the type you prefer.

I recently got a Yost Predator and love it. It's different, because the plate is shorter than others, but if you like a deep hook it's perfect. It's on the thick side, which I like and is very good leather. Neat thing about these is you can change the leather for whatever you can come up with by removing a few screws and punching a few holes. So you can keep the plate forever, and just replace the leather or make your own. Eric is a super nice guy to deal with as well. Give em a look. Also they come with a HUGE piece of leather so you can trim to fit. I mean it's big, should be more than enough.

For the old faithful workin man's tab, the Black Widows are tough to beat. Affordable (half the cost of most others), durable, almost always available, and work great. Bigger plate but it's not rigid. It's flexible. I think this makes it more accomodating for whatever kind of "hook" you use. These are cheap enough that you may as well just buy one. Even if you don't like it it will be great for a backup tab. I still shoot with one occasionally. I like the Super Leather variety because it lasts a lot longer than calf hair.

*Just one thing to mention: A properly trimmed tab shouldnt go to the end of your fingers. Even with the fingers hooked most folks don't have the leather going to their finger tips. Leaving a tab too long can actually hinder a clean release and for me, hurts my fingers. Just another thing to play with. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
Let's look at the tabs recommended so far since they represent much of the top of the line. I use, or have used all of the mentioned tabs.

Yost is a great tab if you like a metal plate. I do and use the stringwalking version. The other advantage is that you cut the leather yourself to fit. The Yost comes in two widths.

EW Bateman is a excellent tab but is thinner. Bubba Bateman will take special requests. I had him build me a couple with thicker leather, but they are still thinner than the Yost and the Safari Tuff. Bateman comes in small, medium and large.

The Safari Tuff is a thicker leather tab with a stiff leather base. It is the tab I go to when I need more finger protection. Safari Tuff comes in a couple of sizes. See the previous link.

The Wilson Black Widow is the wildcard here. It is different in that it has separate cutouts for each finger. That means that variances in finger pressure or more likely to be transferred to the string. Some folks like them. I believe that a single face of leather helps smooth out differences in finger pressure.

The AAE tab is a great split finger tab. A spacer can be added if you like. Unless you are planning on switching between split and three under then you will get about the same thing with a Yost. Shooting three under can be done with a split finger tab ( I used to stringwalk wtih a Bateman with a rubber spacer), but it will tend to separate you fingers more.

Bare in mind that fit is most important. You should fit your tab by width. It should not be wider than your three fingers. Length is less of an issue. Tabs can be trimmed. Folks tend to size tabs too large. The Spigarelli Amico is an example of a tab that is way to wide, even in the small size. I have a bunch but I do not shoot them any more.

Today I use a Yost Stringwalking tab for recurve and a Safari Tuff for my longbow. I recently converted from the Bateman stringwalking tab. I have been having some hook slip issues so I may try the Bateman again to see if the tab is contributing by being thicker.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Yost

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
There is a guy here ,in classifieds , who makes a nice tab, and sells, jthandcraft, different sizes, and thickness, I believe %100 positive reviews, last i remember, $27

·
32,603 Posts
I prefer the Black Widow.....it gives you the feel like you have NO tab on but with the protection you need and want......

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
I owned and shot Wilson Black Widows....Jenkins (as made by Scott Teashner/Wyoming Wildlife Artistry)....Bateman...and the AAE Elite.

And nothing palms and registers or looses cleaner than a well trimmed Yost.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I use a Bateman small 3 under and I love it. Fits my hand really well but I have small hands. I also use the safari tuff tabs. I like them a lot too but as said above the leather is thicker and I have a really deep hook and for me it's not as flexible. I've heard great things so far about the Yost tabs but have yet to give them a try.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Allot depends on ur anchor are you anchoring high or low the higher u get the more problem u will have with thick back ends I use a cheap kantpich one and put another layer on the back my anchor is high I can shot the ones mentioned my check bone gets in the way

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
Yost. John Demmer pointed me to the Yost tab. Enough said!
^Thats one heck of a good endorsement

The Batemans are a little thinner than say the BW- good writeup by Hank Thor above. I have one that I added another thin layer in the sandwich for times when I have baby fingers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts