Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read many different posts about which bow brand to buy but since I have been away from bowhunting awhile I feel like a newb.

In particular I would like to know what I need to be looking for in my new bow.

Here is what I do know.

Bows:

1. I know I am not a fan of short bows so I would to keep it around 32" or more.

2. I plan on using my bow for whitetail in southern Mississippi from either a ground blind, climber or platform stand.

Sights:

1. For me 3 pin would be fine because when I look at a 5 pin it looks overly crowded to me.
2. I like the Black Gold Pro but buying new is too much.

Release:

1. I have only used the wrist release. Thumb releases?

Rest:
1. Whisker biscuit is all I have ever know. Drop aways?

Arrows:
1. Overwhelming choices to say the least.

Stabilizer et al:
1. Forgot about this and other things. My current criteria for a stabilizer is that is must look cool. :LOL:

Based on what I do know my don't know list is rather large.

Recommendations on what to look for in bows, sights, release, rest, arrows.

Never even got to the question of broadheads.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

·
Registered
645 Posts
Best advice I can give is don’t pay attention to the hype. Go to your bow shop, or a few different ones, and shoot all of this years new bows. See what feels best. Don’t let bow technicians push a bow on you and make sure when you shoot them you actually get the bow set up to you (draw length, draw weight, etc). Yeah, it’s a process but it’s worth it. Pick a bow that feels good, then look into the specifics (tunability, colors, extras, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best advice I can give is don’t pay attention to the hype. Go to your bow shop, or a few different ones, and shoot all of this years new bows. See what feels best. Don’t let bow technicians push a bow on you and make sure when you shoot them you actually get the bow set up to you (draw length, draw weight, etc). Yeah, it’s a process but it’s worth it. Pick a bow that feels good, then look into the specifics (tunability, colors, extras, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hype keeps people thinking their bow, gun, car, etc. is no longer good since the new bows, etc now have limbs and riser made from unobtanium from Pandora.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to clarify that I don't see myself hunting past 40yds. Hopefully 20 and under (hope is not a course of action...). Also once I get my bow I would like to try 3D. Always said that someday I would do this. Someday is here. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bows, arrows, sights and releases are all personal choices. I will recommend Black Eagle arrows. I shot easton for years and years, made the switch two years ago and won't be going back. Also just go shoot a ton of bows, a few sights and some releases. Any shop worth their salt will let you try them out. Don't buy into the hype and get what you like the best. Even mid level bows are going to, probably, be light years ahead of what was out when you were last shooting. Good luck and welcome back!

·
Registered
27,913 Posts
The short bow hype is a product of the Mathews marketing machine. Their '22 feature model is 27" ATA.... :unsure: Seems you have that much figured out and I would suggest you try a few 33-35" ATA bows as part of your testing process. Don't go to a shop with your credit card or wad of cash easily at hand.....no impulse buying. Tell them you are shopping....don't listen to the "pro" shop BS about such-and-such brand or model being far superior to all others. Elite, Prime, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Athens, etc are all building high quality bows in addition to Mathews.....just not as adept at advertising and fanboy-ism. Consider a bow shop to be similar to a visit to car lot..... salesmen are going to hype the dickens out of whatever is making them the most profit and try to upgrade you to the upper limits.....often trash talking what they don't sell in the process.

In a couple weeks with a dozen more posts, you can access the AT classifieds and start shopping for the remainder of your bow setup. Buying used offers you the option to test out various options without funding a bunch of depreciation. If you buy a particular sight or rest or stabilizer and don't love it, you can relist it and try another. It is a fine tuning process that established members of AT "get" and newbies often miss....not a one and done, but continually testing and refining.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The short bow hype is a product of the Mathews marketing machine. Their '22 feature model is 27" ATA.... :unsure: Seems you have that much figured out and I would suggest you try a few 33-35" ATA bows as part of your testing process. Don't go to a shop with your credit card or wad of cash easily at hand.....no impulse buying. Tell them you are shopping....don't listen to the "pro" shop BS about such-and-such brand or model being far superior to all others. Elite, Prime, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Athens, etc are all building high quality bows in addition to Mathews.....just not as adept at advertising and fanboy-ism. Consider a bow shop to be similar to a visit to car lot..... salesmen are going to hype the dickens out of whatever is making them the most profit and try to upgrade you to the upper limits.....often trash talking what they don't sell in the process.

In a couple weeks with a dozen more posts, you can access the AT classifieds and start shopping for the remainder of your bow setup. Buying used offers you the option to test out various options without funding a bunch of depreciation. If you buy a particular sight or rest or stabilizer and don't love it, you can relist it and try another. It is a fine tuning process that established members of AT "get" and newbies often miss....not a one and done, but continually testing and refining.
Maybe a stupid question but what are ATA bows?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding features for bows - any features that are nice to have - maybe not necessary? Same question for sights, rests, etc.

I do recognize that each will come down to personal choice. I am looking for more basic guidance in these areas rather than a specific brand to buy. If brand x has extra features that may be to my advantage then I am certainly all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but what are ATA bows?
"ATA" is an abbreviation of "Axle to Axle". It's the measurement from the top axle to the bottom axle.

I wanted to clarify that I don't see myself hunting past 40yds. Hopefully 20 and under (hope is not a course of action...). Also once I get my bow I would like to try 3D. Always said that someday I would do this. Someday is here. Thanks
You will still want a bow that will allow you to comfortable practice out to 70 yards. The more you practice at those longer distances, the easier taking a shot at the closer ones will be.

·
Registered
27,913 Posts
Axle-to-axle....the basic measurement of the length of a bow. You mentioned a 32" bow in your first post....that is a 32" ATA. When buying a case you need to measure the span from the outside edges of both cam. My 35" ATA Elite Ritual 35 is actually 39.5" from the outer edges of the cams (moderate size) and needs a case at least 40" long. However a 30" ATA bow with large cams can be close to 35", which reveals the difference in actual size isn't that significant, but the string angle and characterisics certainly can be different. Figure the 4-4 1/2" difference in length is divided in half.....half above the grip and half below. So in acutality, a 30" bow is only gives a couple inches more top or bottom clearance in a blind or treestand than a 35" bow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regarding features for bows - any features that are nice to have - maybe not necessary? Same question for sights, rests, etc.

I do recognize that each will come down to personal choice. I am looking for more basic guidance in these areas rather than a specific brand to buy. If brand x has extra features that may be to my advantage then I am certainly all ears. Thanks
The basic guidance is to shoot as many as possible, and find which for fits you best. All of the new bows are fantastic. None has any real edge over the others, other than in the personal preferences. You have to decide if you are more interested in speed or comfort, how light or heavy a bow you want, what kind of grip feels best to you. And don't ignore some of those brands you may not have heard of, like Darton and Athens. Go into the process with an open mind.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Axle-to-axle....the basic measurement of the length of a bow. You mentioned a 32" bow in your first post....that is a 32" ATA. When buying a case you need to measure the span from the outside edges of both cam. My 35" ATA Elite Ritual 35 is actually 39.5" from the outer edges of the cams (moderate size) and needs a case at least 40" long. However a 30" ATA bow with large cams can be close to 35", which reveals the difference in actual size isn't that significant, but the string angle and characterisics certainly can be different. Figure the 4-4 1/2" difference in length is divided in half.....half above the grip and half below. So in acutality, a 30" bow is only gives a couple inches more top or bottom clearance in a blind or treestand than a 35" bow.
I was overthinking the ATA initials. :) Good tips on the case. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The basic guidance is to shoot as many as possible, and find which for fits you best. All of the new bows are fantastic. None has any real edge over the others, other than in the personal preferences. You have to decide if you are more interested in speed or comfort, how light or heavy a bow you want, what kind of grip feels best to you. And don't ignore some of those brands you may not have heard of, like Darton and Athens. Go into the process with an open mind.
I liked the Athens but the price point is too high for me. I am thinking of a bow around $600 to $700. Thanks

1 - 20 of 49 Posts