Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been shooting a Mathews Stoke for a couple years. He's 11 years old and his height is about 5'2" and his Stoke is starting to look a bit small. He shoots it very well. He competes in S3DA 5 spot, outdoor target, and 3D and does no hunting at all. I think the axle to axle on the Stoke is around 28" and I don't think he's quite ready for a much larger bow but is there something comparable to the Stoke at around maybe 30-32"? Although we do like Mathews, we are open to other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Take a look at the Bowtech Eva Shockey... I know its a lady's bow but it sounds like he is about the size of a small adult lady.

That's the direction that we took with my son at about that age and have been very happy with it. The black/blue color scheme is not too girly. My son embraced with it some blue accessories. It was plenty adjustable for him to use for a good while... He is just now starting to grow out of it's 28.5" maximum draw length and about ready for a full size bow.

We decided to go with a bow designed for an adult lady because it fit his size at that age, and the premium lady's bows have all the technology/features of the premium full size bows. There was a big difference in quality and performance of it and the highly adjustable bows marketed toward youth. The biggest difference to me was the back wall... The youth bows we tried had a very spongy walls at low draw weights like 40# but the Shockey was rock solid. It's fast and the carbon riser is plenty stiff for 40-50 draw weights. It's light weight allowed him to get into long stab and back bar setups before he would have been able to with heavier bows.

You're mileage may vary but we've been very happy with a lady's bow to bride the gap to a full size bow. Other companies make them but the Bowtech is the only 1 I have any experience with. I'm not sure what your budget is but I'd think even a used premium lady's bow a couple years old would out perform the new bows that I'm aware of marketed toward youth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What makes you think he isn't ready for a "much" larger bow? In my opinion, his height really isn't all that limiting. Arm and back strength might be, but we don't have enough information. What draw weight? What is your objective for this bow? Does it need to grow with him for several years, or is this a short term stepping stone?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Don’t think you will find a nicer bow than the Stoke in the category, anything more than that you will have to go to adult bows. Nothing against the bowtech suggestion but that is probably a down grade from the stoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Look at the pse Centrix sd. My 12 year old
Should have one here soon. Maybe there today. I think it’s 33ata.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
Would these also work for 9 year old that has never shot a bow?
The Mathews Chill SDX and Bowtech Heartbreaker I posted are both 40-50# Bows probably too much for a 9 year old.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
One of the new PSE Stinger Max's might be a good bow for him. They are 30" A/A and have 80% let-off that he will probably appreciate. It has a huge draw length and draw weight adjustment range too. The Stinger Max weighs 3.8 lbs, so it's not too awfully heavy. The price isn't bad either. I've heard lots of folks say the stingers are really good shooting bows. If he would be just as happy with 75% let-off, you can pick up the PSE Stringer Extreme. It's a tad longer too at 32.5" A/A, but still the same weight at 3.8 lbs. It also has a good adjustment range for draw length and weight. Both of these stingers adjust from 30 to 70 lbs I believe. Draw Length Range is 21.5-30″.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-PSE-S...181667?hash=item5b679a2ea3:g:~lwAAOSw7TRd76Yg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PSE-ST...518011&hash=item1eee7d8d17:g:rk8AAOSwHnJb5fTr

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got my son a Diamond infinate edge. Very adjustable and great ptice. I adjusted it for me last season and killed a deer with it. He can grow with it for a while and then you can pass it down to next person.

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,237 Posts
I know quite a few smaller folks of many ages that are very happy with the Phenom SD.
Mostly used by smaller female adults shooting targets in the 250s to 280s range on a Vegas round. (Seems they often have to upgrade the bow to break into and hold the 290s on a regular basis.) But I also know a short, very muscular man, highly skilled Olympic shooter, who shoots one as his compound when he's feeling the call of the dark side. :)
The ATA probably isn't so much a concern as mass weight of the bow, draw weight, and let-off.

Since your boy is into the competition side of archery, a short draw target bow will probably serve him better than a youth hunting bow. If you want him to succeed in his competitions, use the right tool for the job. What he has now would be a good youth hunting bow. But he doesn't do that. To up the game, if you are going to invest in gear for competitions, make it competition focused gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts