Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Well after recovering from a stroke in 08, and a bad rotator cuff I have started shooting again. So far it's been limited to shooting my Pinnalce II and Excel ILF recurves at 30 lbs which will probably max me out for recurve weight. I want to start back shooting a compound barebow again for 3D and hunting (maybe) but I sold or donated my compounds after the stroke cause I didn't think I'd ever shoot again. My choices will be limited to bows in the 35-50 lb. range due to the shoulder. My draw length will probably end up at 28-29 inch range. It's always been 28 in the past but I may try a different anchor point.

In the past I've shot Pro Vantages, Pearson classics, Darton Vipers, Oneidas, several PSE's over 41 inches, and several others. I am familiar with all of those but am interested in maybe trying one of the newer shorter bows. I have no experience with anything under 41 inches so I have a little concern but know a lot of guys are shooting the parrallel limb bows in the upper 30's. Can anyone tell me which bows today are smooth and don't have a hard wall. I much prefer a good valley to shoot from. I used to shoot a lot of NFAA field but doubt I'll do much of that anymore so I'm not needing a bow with that much stability, just something good out to 40-50 yd. max. BTW I intend to gap and shoot 3 under. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Welcome back. I have picked up the compound again as well. I have a Bowtech Constitution that has G5 Quest limbs on it, which increase the brace height to 9" and my ata length is 41". However, I am putting together a few old provantages for spot bows. I also have an old Screaming Eagle that is under the bed. The older bows aren't anywhere near as fast as the Constitution, but the deflex is very desirable. I hope you find what you are looking for. What are you going to use the bow for? Are you looking for a brand new bow?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly 3D and hunting I think. I've moved within the past two years and there are no indoor spot leagues near here, nor any NFAA field ranges. In the past I always shot the old 48" a-a Pro Vantages etc because I think they are more stable for spots and NFAA distances. However like you said the newer ones seem much faster which would be better for 3D. Since I'm going to shoot barebow as long as I can get a point on distance of 30 yards or so I'll be fine with the 3D stuff. The bottom line I guess is that I just want to find a good bow that fits, new or used doesn't really matter but would prefer used to stay within the budget.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Smooth draw with a soft back wall sounds like a typical single cam to me.

I would recommend a Ross CR337, but they are so rare now I doubt you could find one (and your not having mine ;)), perhaps one of the Mathews owners could advise.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Neil I've been thinking about maybe a Matthews just never shot one. How does the one cam system work with fingers? Any issues there?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks guys. Neil I've been thinking about maybe a Matthews just never shot one. How does the one cam system work with fingers? Any issues there?
Single cams don't really suit my style, but there is a guy over here who has won an awful lot to trophies, including National competitions, and he shoots a Mathews Drenalin LD. Another member on here (DLJ) who used to shoot fingers with a Mathews without any problems. A couple of years ago he won just about everything worth winning and was second at the IFAA Worlds. He has now turned to the dark side, so we will not speak of him again :rolleyes:

As far as I know, there are no problems with fingers and a single cam bow and the only reason they don't suit me is because I like the kind of bow most finger shooters don't; my all time favourite bow is the Bowtech Constitution, an unruly, uncompromising and unforgiving bow that will pull you arm off as soon as look at you, but I love mine.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Neil. For some reason I don't think I would like a bow that will go off and shoot an arrow into the ozone by just looking at it either. Never been a hard wall fan because of that. Too old and now to weak to try and learn to shoot one of those.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ahhh, it's growing on you then Catkinson.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts