Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my early christmas present from my parents.....a digital camcorder!!!!!!

It's a sony HC30. Very small, Compact, and looks to be high quality for what i'll be using it for.

I just wanted to ask some opinions from the experienced folk here on what tips will make a good video great!!
Also has anyone had any experience with this model camera?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Sonys are great.
1. Figure out what its maximum distance is in clarity (do not use the box or pamphlet as a source). Video record at that distance, upload it into your computer.
2. Don't go cheap on tripods and treestandpods. For Trip Pods look for one that has both a vertical and horizontal level. With quick adjustments, and easy off and on process. For treestandpods I prefer the Gurilla stand. You will have to play with it and modify it in each tree to make sure it balances right.
3. If your camera is like mine (silver) wrap it in some kind of covering. Animals will pick up the reflection. I went as far as to permnantly duct tape mine with camo patterende tape.
4. Make sure your equipment is never in the way of your shooting.
5. Just like hunting practie with your equipment.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....the camera is silver and I was thinking about some camo canvas tape if i can find it in any stores again.
I'll tell ya something about sony that i absolutley HATE!!!!!!! Inside the box came an accessory catalog and i've already picked out a wider lense, microphone, tripod, carry case, extra batteries, memory cards, light......etc etc..
If I was to send the order in it would easily be over 1,000$

Needless to say i won't be quitting my dayjob anytime soon :p

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I like Sony also. I have a TRV22 which is simular to your camera. It is an older model. The only dislike of that type of Sony is how hard it is to manualy focus the cam. It is almost impossible if you are hunting. You have to be aware of what is in front of you at all times. Your cam will pick up on limbs or anything else that is between you and your target. It is very frustrating to think you have great footage just to find out it is out of focus. Just something to think about.

B&H Photo Video is about the best place I have found to buy stuff. Ebay has some good deals but you never know when someone will be scamming you.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips so far....anyone others?
Does anyone think i'll need to modify the camera in any way? Bigger lense, microphone, light?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got the HC30 and love it. The zoom is great! It is a little difficult to focus but the touch screen is pretty good for such a small camera. Mine will be used to get over the shoulder and immediate hunter reaction, while I film the hunting action with my canon xl1. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what i was hoping to hear skin dog!!!!! I know the camera from front to back now from reading the book and experinenting.
Have you noticed any downfalls with it yet? I haven't given it a field test yet so i am itchy to find out how it does in low light and longer distances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts