Archery Talk Forum banner

Recoveries of shoulder shot deer, did you find the deer?

8050 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Timber Hawk
I posted on another thread about a deer I shot in the low shoulder with about 4 to 5" penetration. With a broke leg when he ran I was confident, I waited about 3 hrs. and trakcked for 2 hrs. No blood. Broad head broke off inside him most likely when I found the arrow. Any success or failures with something like this. I can't go looking again until Wed.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,637 Posts
Shot through both shoulder blades... but not through the joint... I was shooting 82 pounds, heavy aluminum shafts and a 3 blade Thunderhead.. 4" of arrow was sticking out both sides, he went 45 yards...

· Anti Fanboy
49,908 Posts
Shot one 2 on 9/13. On the first deer the arrow went into the left shoulder shattering the joint and upper leg, broke it length wise down for about 4-5", and then traveled into the opposite shoulder stopping just before it went through the hide. That was with a Grizz Trick 125, Z28 29/60 and a 410 grain arrow. Watched the deer run for about 30-35 yards, lay donwn and check mate.

· Registered
10,806 Posts
2 years ago I lost a nice buck on a similar shot, I thought high shoulder. We tracked him about 200 yards on blood, but it was tuff since it was only an entrance hole. Went back in the next morning tracked him another 3-400 yards and jumped him out of a bed. There was barely any blood, and I looked for him a few times after with no luck. I believe he made it.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I shot a doe this year through low shoulder. Broke the first leg, through the body cavity and through the other leg. Although it did have an entrance and exit, the arrow didn't actually pass through. As she took off, the arrow broke in two pieces, falling on each side of her body. She ran about 125 yards

· Registered
289 Posts
I hit a nice 10pt. in the shoulder several years ago. Spent a couple days following specs of blood and never found him. I'm certain he made it to live another year. Another guy from the area hit one in the shoulder and spent like 3 straight days tracking him. I think he was following tracks and broken sticks and anything he could find. Eventually he ended up catching up with the deer a few miles from where he had shot him and was able to get another arrow in him. Ended up scoring like 182".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.