Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, I received my recurve last week and now I have to think about what accessories to get. The prob is, I already spent too much on the bow so the budget for this is kind of small. I would like to know what is the most important accessorie, excluding arrows, the one I should spend most of my money on. (i.e. get a quite expenive sight and go for a cheaper stabilization system, or get a really fancy v-bar and spend less on the sight...guess you get the picture...)

Thanks in advance,
Didi

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
How to save money

1) buy a cheap hoyt stick on rest rather than an expensive wrap around one

2) a shibuya aluminum sight is far less than the carbon ones or the sureloc and is very good. the early version of this sight is what Darrell Pace shot the ten year record with

3) A v-bar is not necessary. Butch Johnson,. Denise Parker and others shoot a long bar and a backweight. That saves lots of money since a vbar and rods are about 100 bucks. a beiter rod and a LAS backweight costs about 100 dollars.

4) the basic cavalier plunger works very well and is 1/4 the cost of the beiter.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The sight is what makes you aim so its fairly important to have a reliable sight. I would go with one of Win&Wins sights. Either the full aluminum set up or the carbon rod.

I'm going to buy the carbon rod style sight over the winter.
The aluminum runs for about $150CAD, not sure about the carbon rod style.

Stabilization can be cheap to start off. As long as there is weight in the front and the bow is balanced. If you can get a second hand set of X7 stabilization or anything like that it doesn't matter for now while you shoot. Your riser will take care of vibration situations so you have no need for carbon rod stabilizers yet.
Just shoot and save, as you get better buy better accesories.;)

Olympic archery is awsome. :D
Good shooting.
Dylan

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Dylan makes a good point-the carbon 525 WW sight is well made and costs about as much as the Shibuya. It appears durable (A boy I gave a recurve to used one but stopped archery when he started college:confused: so he didn't shoot it long enough for me to judge its durability

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I would skip the Hoyt stick on rest, get a stick on rest with a wire arm, like the Win and Win. The wire will give you much better support, the plastic on the Hoyt will flex.

There is this push for the all carbon sights or the sights with a lot of machining in them. Neither of them will get you points. The basic Shibuya or the SureLoc Challenger will hold the settings well and will last a long time. I don't think that my Toxonics Athenian will ever wear out...

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I don't think that my Toxonics Athenian will ever wear out...

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you liked the Accra

If you liked the Accra, then you will love the sight being sold by AIM - looks just like an Accra and holds up on the lower <50lb compounds that we've put them on. Sorry can't remember the name of it!!! We sell them for around $50 at our shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts