Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Genesis 21:20
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help and encouragement of my friend Lynda, I've agreed to host an equipment seminar for barebow and recurve shooters/coaches next month.

When I start thinking of a list of items to cover, it gets very long, very fast. While I don't want to overwhelm people (esp. the newbies) I also want to make their trip worth their time.

If you were traveling to attend a 6-hour seminar on barebow/recurve equipment, what would you want to see covered?

Here are some things that come to my mind. Feel free to add or comment. I'll be shaping this list over the next month, and deciding how to address each item.

Riser / Limb selection (models, length, features)
Grips
Strings (materials, type and serving options)
Nocking set options (brass vs. tied on vs ?)
Arrow rests (stick on, wrap around, plastic vs. wire arm)
Plungers (do I need one? How much to spend?)
Stabilization
Clickers

Arrow selection
What is paradox and why is it important?
Carbon vs. Carbon/Alum. vs. Aluminum
Tapered vs. parallel shafts
Fletching (feathers vs. vanes vs. mylar)
Nocks (insert, outsert, in-out, pins and bushings)
Glues (point and fletching glues)

Selecting arrows for indoors vs. outdoors
Selecting arrows for barebow vs. recurve

Finger Tabs (to ledge or not to ledge, and what about elastic straps?)
Armguards
Finger slings (how to adjust them, and make your own)

Setting up a bow
Using limb alignment systems
Tiller adjustment
Stabilization adjustment

Tuning the bow
Plunger centershot and spring tension
Draw weight and tiller adjustment
String/nock adjustment

Tuning the arrow
Selecting spine using various charts
Adjusting arrow length
Adjusting point weight
Adjusting nock end weight

Tuning for barebow vs. recurve

Told you it was a long list! ha, ha.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
anchor point high vs low three under vs split and the benefits of aiming gapping vs string walking. sorry just added another hour to the seminar.
It's not equipment but they are very impotrant in the barebow division. so maybe a second seminar ?

Great idea

·
Registered
693 Posts
I hope the seminar is at least a half day long...that's a very long list to cover. I know its really easy to volunteer someone else's time, but if its at all possible I would break your list into two seminars. Everything down to "Setting up a bow" in the first one and the rest in another seminar.

The first half seems to concentrate on features and benefits of equipment, the second is all about how to get the most out of said equipment.

I'm not in the market for any new equipment, but I would pay to attend a day seminar/workshop on basic tuning.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
All of those things you mention look terrific. What I'd want from a seminar by you would be practical demonstrations that help bring the advice alive and make the concepts real and memorable. Anybody could, say, take a printed list of your tips and read them aloud to an audience, but you are especially well qualified not only to talk about them but to also do shooting demos that show the difference different tuning choices make. You have a lot of value you can add beyond merely what you cover by how you cover it. As the aphorism goes, "Show me, don't tell me." :D

Also, I'd want a sense of priorities. What should I concentrate on first, what order should I do things in and what level should I be shooting at to care about various aspects of tuning. What is good enough, or is good enough never good enough?

·
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2413 - I've decided to only cover equipment in this seminar. You make very good points, but those are topics for another seminar IMO, and most of the coaches and archers who will be attending "should" already know some of those basics. At least, I hope they do.

Jobehar, you make a good point about splitting it up that way.

Warbow, your "priority" comment is good. I'll be sure to do that.

And no worries, I am absolutely planning to demonstrate the effects of changes to a bow or arrow in real time. My goal is to see light bulbs over heads after I shoot. :D

I cannot wait to see the reactions when I shoot a bare shaft from a barebow, then the same arrow after I stick a long stabilizer on the same bow. :D That's always an eye-opener for folks.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
My two cents would be to get an overview from you, and then your opinion on what piece of equipment is the priority for what level of shooter. In other words, is the riser the most important for the beginner, or is it a priority for the 290 shooter? And so on...

Second, is this going to be presented online or in a video somewhere? I would love to add to my archery library...

·
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My two cents would be to get an overview from you, and then your opinion on what piece of equipment is the priority for what level of shooter. In other words, is the riser the most important for the beginner, or is it a priority for the 290 shooter? And so on...

Second, is this going to be presented online or in a video somewhere? I would love to add to my archery library...
Yup, I'll try to come up with a priority order for equipment. That's a good idea. No plans for video. This is my first run at a seminar, and I'm sure I'll learn as much or more than the students. Maybe some day, but not now.

Dchan - I don't have to go any further than my garage for a spine test kit :D

I'll have two bows with three arrows for each - weak, stiff and tuned from both the OR and barebow. And I'll probably have an arrow for each I can manipulate (point weight, nock weight, etc.) to show that as well.

I'm looking forward to demonstrating some of the little things I've learned over the years through much trial and error. Things like - did you know that switching from a conventional nock to a Beiter nock will cause your bare shafts to hit high? :D Beiters require a nock height adjustment vs. any other conventional nock. Not many folks know that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I cannot wait to see the reactions when I shoot a bare shaft from a barebow, then the same arrow after I stick a long stabilizer on the same bow. :D That's always an eye-opener for folks.

open my eyes, what happens ??

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,319 Posts
Dchan - I don't have to go any further than my garage for a spine test kit :D

I'll have two bows with three arrows for each - weak, stiff and tuned from both the OR and barebow. And I'll probably have an arrow for each I can manipulate (point weight, nock weight, etc.) to show that as well.
I figured as much. Your garage is probably like mine. Full of old retired gear waiting for a chance to be shot again! Especially since you volunteer so much time to a Club and sound like a gear junkie! ;)

·
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

open my eyes, what happens ??
Come to the seminar and see. :D ha, ha.

Just kidding. A long stabilizer causes an arrow to behave stiffer, allowing you to shoot a weaker spine from a bow than if it was shot without one. Which is why I can shoot the same arrow from my barebow rig at 31.5" and 43# that I shoot from my Olympic bow at 32.5" and 47#.

·
22,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once this one is in the bag, You have to figure out if you can take the seminar on the road and how much it would cost for someone to bring you in!
Thought of that. If I can get some "tubs" of equipment all lined out, the seminar should travel well, I think. None of this stuff takes up that much space really.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

Just kidding. A long stabilizer causes an arrow to behave stiffer, allowing you to shoot a weaker spine from a bow than if it was shot without one. Which is why I can shoot the same arrow from my barebow rig at 31.5" and 43# that I shoot from my Olympic bow at 32.5" and 47#.

Supposedly longer side rods have the opposite effect. Or so I hear.

If you there was ever a presentation in the st.louis area I'd certainly be up for buying a ticket.

·
Registered
447 Posts

thanks, I did no t know this, and I would love to come but its a bit of walk form here:)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Since archery is now mainstream you could become Phil's replacement on AE, "Limbwalkers Barebow Dynasty", a traveling archer on tour. I think the public needs a little more of an idea of what archery is truly about and it's roots as both an Art and Entertainment. Look at the view numbers on World Archerys youtube account to see if the numbers are there for perspective viewers.

Would look forward to a traveling show at least!
Merry Christmas, Lon

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Discuss grip shape and modification. Have a few different ones on hand that people can actually draw the bow they are attached to.
Discuss tab shape and fitment. Have a few sizes and brands which people can try.

This seems like a black art but it's the only two places we contact the equipment and arguably where we spend the least money. It seems like archers are always adapting to their equipment rather than the other way around.

-Grant

1 - 20 of 51 Posts