Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I don't want to bother anyone, but I've repeatedly seen guys getting lots of professional tips and opinions regarding their shooting form here, so when my friend made a somewhat extensive video of me shooting (over 9 minutes, 122 MB), I thought I'd give it a try. Should anyone been willing to take a look and correct any mistakes in my form, the video can be found here: http://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/CIADXDEFRLA2RU33-SET/.
I believe I can see some problems, but I'd really appreciate any observations from you, more experienced shooters. If you'll find any mistakes, please, try to advise me on how to get rid of them, as well.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You seem to be pulling past your anchor then settling back in to it. I always found that was the enemy of good back tension. Bow looks nice by the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a couple of major things you could work on right away. First, you're very tense: your shoulders are tense and so are your string fingers. To correct this, make sure that you are fully relaxed - your body should be in a position that mirrors you being lazy and unmotivated! Simultaneously, don't lift your bow arm above shoulder height or you will also tense up. To correct for your string fingers, imagine yourself holding a lot of heavy grocery bags. My guess is that you would just let the bags dangle from your fingers. This is exactly how you should pull back the bow.

Second, you're not using your back for the release. I can see your hand casually letting go and then purposefully moving back. Make sure you focus on triggering the release with your back. Essentially, you want to fully relax your hand while utilizing your back muscles to pull back for the release. You shouldn't have to think to manually open up your fingers.

Remember, these are just a couple of major things that you should work on. Learning archery can be challenging as there are hundreds of things that you can work on. I would highly recommend hiring a coach to guide you in the learning process. You can locate a coach using:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery/Coaching/Find-an-Instructor-or-Coach

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
Lipi,

You have obviously had some coaching, and I in NO way want to interfere with that. And, my orientation is the USA Archery NTS (National Training System) which is a little different from what I see you doing. That said, IF I was working with you, here are 2 areas I'd address.

First, and fairly minor, is your bow hand. You have built up a VERY high grip on the bow. That is keeping your bow arm wrist very straight which is a pretty weak position. I'd have you lower the grip so that the pressure of the bow was against the very base of your thumb pad (thenar eminence) and directly in front of the radius bone in the forearm.

Second, watch your video again and look at your movement as you establish anchor. See how you pull back past your anchor and then settle forward to your facial references? That forward movement of your hand and arm is totally disconnecting you from your back. I'd suggest trying to pull to a point directly UNDER your anchor (just slightly like an inch <2 centimeters>) and then lifting straight up to anchor. NEVER let that hand move forward!! It appears that you are "cupping" the back of your jaw bone, and that is fine, just don't do it by moving forward, just lift straight up.

That loss of back tension is complicating your release -- it makes you open the fingers rather than pulling through the string. Then you have to move your hand/arm to your follow through position. If you can get rid of that forward movement then, at release, your hand and arm will snap back to the follow through. It will happen automatically and will not be something you do.

If you do more videos for this, try to shoot at a blank bale up close. The reason I say this is that with your string walking crawl, it is difficult to see overall alignments. Just shoot close, if you can, and touch the nock with your index finger. That will help us see your alignments better.

Hope this helps a little.

Arne

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V Chen, Moebow: Thanks, guys - that was very helpful.
Back tension - I'll try to work more on it. Somehow I thought that I was (keeping at least my draw arm) relaxed. Moebow's get-to-your-anchorpoint-from-below tip seems especially interesting (and it never occured to me). Hopefully it'll be compatible with the fact that I draw from above - I'll try and see.
As for couching - I am from Central Europe, and finding a couch is somewhat harder here. Since a recent split off in our club, there aren't any real coaches available (in the club), and definively not for barebow. Since I didn't even undergo a beginners course, I learned mostly from internet and books.

If I may have one question, though: What is wrong with high wrist? For some reason I thought it was the traditional way, I'd even bet I've somwhere read it to be recommended.

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
Drawing form above is good! That is what puts you into the back muscles. Just don't draw so far back that you have to move forward to anchor. Maintain the tension in your back and increase it for the release.

Arne

·
Registered
955 Posts
If I may have one question, though: What is wrong with high wrist? For some reason I thought it was the traditional way, I'd even bet I've somwhere read it to be recommended.
I don't know sometimes things get too critical, you have to figure in there a bit of individual body works too. Overall Lipi, you look pretty darn good, I like the nice tight V and the high elbow, many can't achieve either especially in the beginning, and some never. Just keep aware what good form is and work on perfecting each thing till you get it down, it's a long process, you can't correct everything all at once. Many times the result at the target will cue you what may need to be worked on.

Your anchor though, I don't shoot barebow so can't comment but you could probably improve that a bit.

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
I meant to say "drawing from (not form) above is good." Typo.

As far as the straight wrist/high wrist. Try this experiment. Do 2 push ups. First with your hands flat on the floor then, make fists and do a push up on your knuckles. Which one is easier? Do you see how much effort it takes to keep the wrists straight with the knuckles on the floor? To be sure, there are folks that shoot with a straight wrist. I'm just suggesting that it is easier and much more stable to allow the bow to press into the base of the thumb right in front of the radius of the forearm than to maintain a straight wrist.

Arne

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
... don't lift your bow arm above shoulder height or you will also tense up.
I don't agree/understand this...the high draw is a standard technique to lower the scapulae during the predraw.

It's used by a lot of European BB archers and even the Olympic archers even if not as noticeable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice video, thanks.

Your anchor is very far back on your face and it may force you into overdraw, on that rear view angle your elbow looks like it goes too far behind your head. Try to anchor closer to mouth and that will reduce the draw length a bit, then your back will be more relax.

I shoot barebow and I find your elbow position at full draw a bit odd, so I tried your style and it makes scapula muscles stiff, and that makes my whole arm stiff. Also, you seem to arch your back leaning your shoulders back. Try to lean your upper body to front instead, just a bit, balancing more on the front end of your feet. It makes it all easier, you'll see

I have similar grip with all bent fingers, but my grips sits differently in my hand. I know we all have our styles, but try this, too (nothing to lose):

handposition.jpg
Step03-BowHand.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, Lipi. I've got nothing constructive to add, other than to thank those who have taken the time and effort to share advice and suggestions - on behalf of the lurker crowd, thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts