Archery Talk Forum banner

Recurve Case & Backpack options

2730 18
Other than these cases, is there a good option I'm missing? What are people using who travel a lot?

The SKB double recurve case seems to be the top of the line option for a recurve case and it has room for 2 bows + sight. However, most quivers would probably not fit in the space cut out for it, so you'd either have to replace the foam or use that area for something else. Also, I don't see a good place for v-bar/side rods. And I'm not sure a 30" stabilizer would fit in it, especially with weights and doinker attached.

The SKB single recurve case looks great, but does not have room for a sight or other accessories and it's price is near the double case price.

The Shibuya double recurve case is basically an open case that you stuff things into, I guess with protectors/socks? Not really a dedicated cut-out foam case like the SKB and doesn't seem as durable. The wheels don't look that great and it is quite expensive.

Aurora - these basically have big open areas that you velcro pouches into - that's my understanding. Their sites don't show very good photos of the insides.

Pelican - These cases are very durable, probably more than the SKB and you could cut out foam to suit you. I'm starting to lean to one of these because it's less than the SKB and you could fully customize to your needs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-----

BACK PACKS...

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the Hoyt Backpack vs. the Aurora City Pack? How is your sight stored?

Can any arrow tubes or cases be used with them that keep arrows separated to protect spin wings?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Desert Island Trading Co.
5,022 Posts
Other than these cases, is there a good option I'm missing? What are people using who travel a lot?

The SKB double recurve case seems to be the top of the line option for a recurve case and it has room for 2 bows + sight. However, most quivers would probably not fit in the space cut out for it, so you'd either have to replace the foam or use that area for something else. Also, I don't see a good place for v-bar/side rods. And I'm not sure a 30" stabilizer would fit in it, especially with weights and doinker attached.

The SKB single recurve case looks great, but does not have room for a sight or other accessories and it's price is near the double case price.
Hi, i have a single SKB case. It holds all my doinker stabs and sight and everything else but my spotting scope and my quiver. You just have to make the cutouts yourself. Here are 2 pics of my case. I think the SKB case will give you what you want for the most part.

Chris
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/chrstphr/Archery/?action=view&current=IMG_0004.jpg
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/chrstphr/Archery/?action=view&current=IMG_0006.jpg

· Registered
161 Posts
There is a cutout for side rods in the double skb case, and the foam in the little sight compartment is made of little square you can tear out to fit almost any shape, so i put my sight and vbar in there, unless I'm lazy then i leave the vbar attached with the long rod and extender because the long rod spot is deep enough. Which brings me to my next point. I can fit a 28" long rod plus a 3" extension with a half inch v-bar in the long rod cutout with a few inches to spare. Also, I could fit my old Neet quiver in the quiver cutout perfectly, and there's plenty of room for something like an Angel. The only quiver i can think of that wouldn't fit in there is the new Easton quiver and maybe the W&W quiver.

I also have the Easton backpack and my coach has the Aurora city pack. they are exactly the same, mainly because aurora makes the hoyt pack. There are a few differences in the little pockets inside but that's not really a big deal. In one of the center zippers there are two elastic bands that you can slide a sight extension bar into that holds it tightly, and i just put my aperture in the little pocket next to it. I have an easton arrow tube that fits pretty snugly in the tube pocket, but anny arrow case made out of pvc will do. My coach has a much smaller diameter pvc arrow tube he made which leaves him room to put his stabalizer next to the arrow tube. Either way they are essentially the same pack. Oh, and there's a zipper on the side of the pack for side rods.

I hope that answered your questions about those two cases...I don't know enough about the others to speak for them though. Sorry the post was so long.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
i have the skb double recurve case and 2 win&win cases similar to the shibuya.....the skb is unbeatable for protection of your stuff but very very heavy.....the win&win is much lighter..is airline approved and can easily fit a riser, 2 pairs of limbs, 2 d0z arrows, a sight, and 30" stab plus other small accessories...i have used it in at least 6 domestic flights and it has come out very well....you can also wrap stuff in towels for extra protection........i figure that if ever i will go to international events i would probably use the skb but i will have to be prepared to shell out some big bucks for the overweight charges....right now it is just a "closet" for my other risers, limbs and other archery stuff....

· Registered
5 Posts
I use a pelican case if I'm flying, they're a little less bulky than the SKB cases. I can't say that I've had any problems with it. I also have a City Pack for transporting my stuff around locally, it's nice to able to throw it on like a backpack and hit the road. I will say this about the city pack, I have a 27" riser and it barely fits... I wish they would have made it an inch or two longer.

· Registered
825 Posts
I use the SKB double-no question, it is heavy, but built like a tank. I have no problem fitting 2 risers, two sets of limbs, 2 long rods, 2 v-bars, 2 sets of side rods, 2 sights, 2 sunglasses. With creative packing, I can also fit a quiver, hat, chest protector, and 2 sets of arrows. I made my own cut-outs for the sunglass cases and the second set of side rods.

· Registered
968 Posts
Pelican case (1700) for any real travel. Nice and tough, but still pretty small. My roommate has two 1750s, they're about the size of the SKB Double.

If I'm just hopping to the range on campus from my apartment, then I sometimes just chuck everything (in socks for scratch protection) into a backpack and carry my quiver and arrows separately. Not an archery specific backpack, just a midsize internal frame camping pack I picked up for cheap.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great info. I didn't realize you could fit as much as you could into the single SKB case, those photos are great.

I'll probably get both a hard case and a backback. Hard case for all of my gear and tournaments, backpack for every day use because I don't want to leave my bow in my car during the winter. That way I don't have to pack a huge case into work each day.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
Remember, not everything has to go into one case when you travel. My current case although great (it's a take down shot gun case that I've modified to store my archery equipment) has no room for arrows or a quiver, but I've got a arrow tube and I can just store my quiver in my luggage, plus all the clothes. I've heard of people carrying equipment in seperate bags / cases just in case one gets lost in transport, at least they'll have the backup that they've carefully packed into their luggage.

· Registered
287 Posts
I have the full-size Aurora City backpack. I've been told that the Hoyt Recurve backpack is the exact same thing. I highly recommend the case if you don't intend on traveling by airline. Great if you have a motorcycle or scooter and don't have too far to travel. I haven't tried riding on my bicycle with it on but it would probably be fine on a rack.

It holds everything you need for one recurve. You could possibly shoehorn an extra riser and definately two sets of limbs.

It holds an arrow tube in the top and I'm able to put my 36" front stabilizer in it w/ 18 or so arrows w/ kurly vanes. I can put my side stabilizers in their own side zippered pocket opposite the side that you put the limbs and riser in. The inner compartment zips or velcros out (I've only had it out once when I first got it so I forgot how it attaches for sure).

My quiver and sight (a Shibuya w/ it's own thin padded case) goes inside, behind the inner compartment that holds my riser. Holds plenty of tools, tabs, slings, notepads, etc.

· Registered
380 Posts
If you guys don't mind me asking the question I wonder what case you recommend for taking to the range and back. Just something to protect what is inside nothing to fancy. Also what site would you buy it from? There aren't any stores nearby that stock recurve accessories.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
287 Posts
I got my backpack right here on AT, brand new. Other than that Lancaster used to have the full size City backpack and Alt. Services in the U.K. has them but watch out for the dollar-to-pound conversion as it could make it significantly more expensive than a U.S. store.

I'd start with putting a 'Want to buy' (WTB) in the FITA Classfied section off this one and see if anybody has one laying around that they want to sell or trade.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
I use a Kelty Redwing 3100. I think it is Kelty's smallest internal frame pack. It is sufficiently long in the torso to hold a 25" riser and medium limbs (set into the curvature of the pack). I pack all the rest of my kit around the riser and limbs. The sight, in its case, goes in the outside pocket. The arrow tube goes into the water bottle carrier and is secured by the cinch strap. The long rod of my stabilizer is either secured with my arrow tube or rides along inside it.

The pack frame helps both protect my kit and my back.

This pack is smaller than the older Aurora city pack and is easier to use on New York's subway system. However, it does put more gear on the outside of the pack.

I also use an Aurora case. It's quite sturdy for intermediate (car and train) travel. I would not, however, trust it with TSA's or an airline baggage handler's loving caresses.

PC-

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with the SKB single recurve case (from K1-archery) and will do some cutting to fit my components - similar to what chrstphr did in his photos.

Since I won't usually need more than the single will hold, I'll save a few bucks over the Double SKB case which definitely is sweet.

I will also probably get a Hoyt or Aurora backpack at some point if I feel weird packing a bow case into work.

Thanks for all of the input

· Registered
125 Posts
With travel restrictions on weight, the Auroras are nice because you can fit shoes and cloths in the case alongside your bow. They themselves are light in weight as well so keeping it under 50 pounds is easy (or easier).

· Registered
161 Posts
Pictures

Here are some pictures of the hoyt backpack. the interior is all black so i but some books in some pockets to show the contrast. also, the backpack does come with a padded pouch that has two sections for risers/limbs. pm me if you have any questions regarding the pictures or anything else for that matter.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.