Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to traditional style hunting this year and I would like to hunt from a ground blind. Does anyone else do this? What blind do you use? I would like to purchase a new blind in the next few days and just need some ideas.

·
Registered
9,877 Posts
I just spent about 40 hours in one over the last couple weekends. I used a Primos GroundMax Eclipse. Pretty decent blind from Cabelas for about $100. It's a little small but I still managed to shoot my 62" Recurve canted pretty heavily and shooting diagonally (out the corner windows). Bigger would be better, but this is a pretty good blind for the money and is not too big and heavy.

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
I have a double bull recurve model and can shoot my 64" recurve with no issues at all in it. But I have to say - I don't like hunting in it much - it is very boring - you don't see much out those windows and if you open too many you let out more sent than you should and let more light in making your movement easier to detect. It is hot in them on a warm day too.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm with Sharpbroadhead, I hunted out of my brother's but I was nervous because I cant see enough area out of it. They are effective if you brush them in with lims, ect.
You may like them. I hunt out of blinds that I make out of surrounding limbs ,bushes, blowdowns. If you're still they are effective also. The thing I like about natural blinds is , you can have a couple in the same area already made up....if the wind changes you can have another option, and change positions quickly.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Natural Blinds

Some of us are not as "fleet of hand or foot" as we once were. I do not like climbing in trees. About 15 years ago I began to build natural ground blinds. Brush, sticks, leaves, sometimes a little netting and grass work well. Try to build in 2 or 3 shoot through openings so unless you must, you will not always need to rise above the top to shoot. Make it about 4 Ft. high and about300 Deg. circular. Try to find a slightly elavated spot, hopefully at the base of a tree. And of course, at and/or near a good run track. One thing; tie a flag on it so you can see it a 4:30 AM! The first time I built one it took me an hour to find it! Hey, it worked well for me; I couldn't find it. I've bagged Deer, Turkey and one Hog. using this method. Good luck and shoot well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i use an older double bull, dont like to hunt deer out of it, but it works great for turkeys. I shoot a 62" recurve and have no issues with the blind. The turkey I shot this year was at about 10 yards. If you are still looking for a blind, I'm told that the older double bulls are much better quality than the new ones. I would suggest finding one of the originals. good luck

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
i'm in the process of building a ground blind with netting also. going to be a half moon in front of me, heavy brush behind me, and a tree right in the middle of the circle so i can put a stadium seat on the tree. deer will hopefully be under 10 yards.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Look at the Ghost Blind, no roof so it doesn't matter how long your bow is, and it will never obstruct your vision or get too hot! Very light and sets up in a second, plus you don't have to let it out a week before your ready to hunt from it or brush it in, it just disapears. I can't wait to use this blind in a few weeks, i heard some great things from those who have, it should be alot of fun! The only real good blind marginal enough for a traditional shooter that's still made is the new DB Crusher blind, anything smaller will create some compromise.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have used natural blinds successfully and last year I used a gorilla blind. The gorilla blind works great in foul weather but I like being able to see 360 around me. This year I think I got some blind material to use in conjunction with natural foliage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts