Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get started shooting more traditional gear and need some advice for a good starter recurve bow perferably 50# at least I'm a pretty big boy no need to worry about holdin back the weight. Any help would be appreciated.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
its not holding the weight as much developing bad habits when you get tired. I'd say 50# max at your draw. You need to figure out your draw so you can figure out your bow length. Check out recurves.com Chad can help you. Also you might want to have this move to the trad section by a mod.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I recently purchased a Trad Tech Pinnacle II riser and I would have to say it has been one of the best purchases for the money.

I have a Sky and a Black Widow (both MUCH more expensive) and find it a more shootable bow. It is slower by 10-20 fps but is sooo smooth on the draw and hold that I find I shoot it better.

The nice thing is that when you figure out that 50lbs is too much for you to learn to shoot well there are many nice cheap ILF limbs out there that will fit on it. Heck, once you get your form down good and learn sight picture with the lighter limbs you can easily and cheaply jump to 55-60lb limbs and get some high end knockdown power to hunt the largest North American game.

As of right now I use 40lb medium carbon winstorm limbs and get [email protected] inches. I'm shooting around 160fps with a 450 grain arrow. That is 12fps slower than my Sky so not really a big deal. The whole setup ran me around 350-400 dollars and is *well* worth the money, though I'm not sure if you can get it quite that cheap (that is wholesale +10% +tax from Lancaster, not sure what their retail is). It is one of the easiest to draw 62" traditional bows I have ever shot.

One of these days I'm going to break down and get a top end Oly Recurve setup and see how those limbs do on a traditional bow (I shoot both styles of recurve so an ILF fitted traditional riser was *really* nice to me).

I would also highly recommend Checkmate Bows as very nice for the money. They perform as good as many costing double what they do and Chad at www.recurves.com is a good person to deal with. He also posts in our traditional forums here too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts