Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to invest in a new Hoyt Dorado or Buffalo this spring and was considering setting it up for a release. Just wondering if anyone else does this. Advantages--disadvantages...?

Additional serving area below the nock to avoid string wear....? Kisser button for consistent nock point...?

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
There is a small contingency of stick bow shooters who use a release for various reasons (most of the time it's a medical reason) every one I've talked to that did had no issues with it. Also they usually get by with a little weaker spine than the finger shooters.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a small contingency of stick bow shooters who use a release for various reasons (most of the time it's a medical reason) every one I've talked to that did had no issues with it. Also they usually get by with a little weaker spine than the finger shooters.
I shoot with a Trueball Max3 release. It seems to help considerably managing more draw weight. I used to shoot my Browning recurve at about 54-56# when I was younger but with two bad shoulders I thought the release might help a bit holding at full draw. Time will tell.... thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure the reason for the arrow spine thing.... reasoning?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Andy Ross shoots his new bow "Ambush" with a release. I've never seen one of the bows or messed with one but I've seen
him on tv using sights and a release with a recurve.

·
Born yank raised south
17,083 Posts
I shoot with a Trueball Max3 release. It seems to help considerably managing more draw weight. I used to shoot my Browning recurve at about 54-56# when I was younger but with two bad shoulders I thought the release might help a bit holding at full draw. Time will tell.... thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure the reason for the arrow spine thing.... reasoning?
Torque on the arrow is my surmise. More torque induced by using fingers to pull the string. More torque on the nock end of the arrow means a stronger spine is needed. Not sure if this is correct but is my best guess.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Not me. The whole fun of shooting traditional is shooting it with fingers and no sights. A lot of fun and very addicting.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Torque on the arrow is my surmise. More torque induced by using fingers to pull the string. More torque on the nock end of the arrow means a stronger spine is needed. Not sure if this is correct but is my best guess.
That sounds like a pretty good guess to me too. If you're concerned about perfect arrow flight, you will probably have to have a different set of arrows.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
...Additional serving area below the nock to avoid string wear....? Kisser button for consistent nock point...?
I don't see why additional serving would be necessary. You don't see them doing this on compounds. The "D" loop will take all the wear, not the string. Kisser shouldn't be required either. If you don't use one now, you probably won't need one. Your hand anchor will change out of necessity, but once you find a solid anchor you should be fine.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
Nomad022;1068943154 Not quite sure the reason for the arrow spine thing.... reasoning?[/QUOTE said:
String torque mostly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've tried it a couple of times. Actually, it's a fun way to shoot. It works better off my longbow than my recurves. One issue I noticed was the type of release: I had to switch to a Scott Little Bitty Goose with a forward trigger. Trad bows don't have a set draw length, so you pull to anchor and fire. Holding can be an issue with trad gear. I have developed a BAD snapshooter habit when using a release. However, it's a kick. It requires a lot of experimentation and getting used to!! Have fun and good luck. There is something fun about seeing the arrow all the way from bow to target!!

·
Keith Karr
1,837 Posts
I've shot with a release for 4 years now. Don't care if I'm traditional or not. It's just a matter of necessity for me (two bone spurs in the knuckle of my ring finger).

If you continue to shoot with the release and need any help/advice, give me a shout.

I've learned what works and what doesn't...A lighter spined arrrow in needed and an elavated rest helps greatly.

I've killed 2 elk using a release with a recurve and also a few whitetails. So yes it works!

Anyone need help give me a call if you like. 404-372-9515 cell

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Andy Ross shoots his new bow "Ambush" with a release. I've never seen one of the bows or messed with one but I've seen
him on tv using sights and a release with a recurve.
Ross' ambush bow is a centershot riser with a whisker biscuit on it. On a non-centershot recurve or long bow it would be a different story.

·
Keith Karr
1,837 Posts
Nomad022 may not have a medical reason to shoot a release on a tradbow....but many of "us" do!

I shoot compounds too...but the thrill of shooting a stickbow is something hard to describe. If you have never tried...I suggest you do so!

Jtb67 - just because someone uses something besides their fingers, doesn't mean that it's not traditional. Don't know how old you are...but sights and releases were around before compounds were invented. Some folks don't know that though!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts