Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wonder if you could give me some info.

What is better to hunt with recurves or compounds? I was told by my archery instructor that id start off using a recurve of 30Ibs.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi they are bolth exelent to hunt with use recurve for traditional hunting.I started with a recurve now shoot compound, thinking of going back to trad,had a feeling with compound the hunt was to easy

How do hunting sights work? I've seen them but not sure which needle to look at. I am a real novice. Huntersfriend advised me that they would tune everything for me so its field ready which i would prefer.

I think i'll stick to compound. :wink:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
If you are gonna be proficient it will take a lot more time and practice to be successful with the recurve. I have the utmost respect for traditional hunters because it does take a TON of practice.

The compound will be quicker and easier and take less practice....but you should still practice as much as possible to keep your edge.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I think i'll stick to a compound then :wink:
Whatever you do, do try to learn all you can about taking care and adjusting your bow.

As for the sight...
There are 2 component needed. A sight, and a peep sight. The peep sight is put in the string. You put the front sight in the middle of your peep sight, and then place the end (usually fiber optic or a dot) of the pin on the target. Multiple pins for multiple distances. By aiming with a higher or lower pin, you are pointing the bow higher or lower, changing the impact point since an arrow flies in an arc, hence archery.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah i see, makes sense now lol.

There is only one guy at my archery club that uses a compound :confused:

I dont think they will use all the peep sights and pins for archery. I have no one here to help me because i want to use it for hunting.

I am a complete novice. I found it interesting how people use a release aswell, is that the norm? i'd rather have that, just me being lazy.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
99% of bowhunters that use compounds bow, use a mechanical release. They are MUCH MUCH easier, comfortable and are more accurate. Definately use one, they make life much easier.

If you get a compound, you can get a much higher weight to start off with. Depending on your build, upper body strength, etc., you can/should get a compound that has a draw weight of 50 lbs to 70 lbs. I'd say the most popular weight is 60 lbs.

What do you plan on hunting?

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, b/c this site is all about helping others and introducing new people to the sport of archery and bowhunting.:cocktail:

-ZA

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Get a recurve and practice with it....OR

Get a compound and practice with it.

Both are good.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
99% of bowhunters that use compounds bow, use a mechanical release. They are MUCH MUCH easier, comfortable and are more accurate. Definately use one, they make life much easier.

If you get a compound, you can get a much higher weight to start off with. Depending on your build, upper body strength, etc., you can/should get a compound that has a draw weight of 50 lbs to 70 lbs. I'd say the most popular weight is 60 lbs.

What do you plan on hunting?

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, b/c this site is all about helping others and introducing new people to the sport of archery and bowhunting.:cocktail:

-ZA
How does a mechanical release work? Is this one?

Sounds good anyway.

I plan on hunting whitetails.

But treestands and ground hunting too, dont want a massive bow. Any suggestions?

Im stuck between the Parker wildfire XP, PSE stinger, Reflex growler, Martin cheetah.

Some say a 4Ibs bow like the reflex growler is too heavy for me. im 21 years old and not too small.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Get a compound bow. They are powerful and accurate as long as you shoot mechanical release. Start with 50 to 60 pounds of draw weight. 70 is ok if you're strong. A bow that maxes out at 60 is usually ideal as you can turn it down to 50 to start out and slowly crank it up of you have the shoulder strength.

If you're hunting treestands, guys seem to like the shorter Axle to Axle bows because they are easy to manuver in the stand.

Ray

·
Registered
527 Posts
I started with a compound and once I got it tuned and shoot it really good (may take a year or so) then I moved on to a recurve just to make the hunt a little more challenging. I still shoot the compound a few times a week just to stay proficient but once I take a few shots with it and feel comfortable I hang it up and pull out the recurve which takes much much more practice. I took 8 animals with the compound last season and like I said I turned to the recurve just for the extra thrill of the hunt and I can't wait to take my first animal with it. Whatever you choose, take everyones advice and shoot often and remember... it's not about the quantity, it's all about the quality.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Cool, i appreciate your advice guys.

Which do you guys recommend out of these links. Im gonna buy from huntersfriend because they tune and set up your bow so it is ready to use.

I've heard alot of folk say go for the reflex growler but they say its heavy at 4Ibs, is that heavy??

These are the bows i am interested in

Bearing in mind im left handed, 25" draw. and not sure about draw weight maybe 40-50Ibs. Looking for a good one that is quiet and durable, good hunting bow.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-PSE-Stinger-Package/2008-PSE-Stinger-Compound-Bows.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-Parker-Wildfire-Compound-Bow/parker-parallel-limb-bow.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-Martin-Cheetah-Compound/cheetah-compound-bow-discount.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Reflex-Growler/reflex-growler-by-hoyt.htm

So thats them, I cannot make up my mind though which camo is better the mossy oak break up or AP, APG? I'll be doing most of my hunting in Mississippi in November.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Don't worry about the camo pattern on the bow, as long as it isn't shiny, like a target bow, the pattern is not that important.
4lbs isn't that heavy for a hunting bow, a little weight adds stability and usually makes for a quieter bow on the shot.
All the bows you've selected are nice choices.
My biggest concern for you, seeing as you don't seem to have access to a bow shop that can tune your bow, is to get a model with very good quality strings. If the strings stretch, the bow needs to be put in a press and the strings need to be twisted some more to get them to the right length again.

(Guys, maybe some of you haven't noticed, what we have here is a young female shooter. She most likely will not be able to handle the heavier draw weights some are suggesting.)

A 40-50lb bow would probably be a good place to start. With your short drawlength (DL for short) you will want a bow that has very good performance in a short DL. I would really suggest you check out the womens forum on this sight. There are a lot of ladies there who have a great deal of experience with different bow models and what works for them. Some bows are designed to perform better at shorter DLs then others. The Bowtech Equalizer comes to mind as one such model.

Come back to this Hunting Forum to keep asking questions, we love to help. I admire your ambition in trying overcome all the obstacles of a young lady in Scotland who wants to hunt big game with archery equipment.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't worry about the camo pattern on the bow, as long as it isn't shiny, like a target bow, the pattern is not that important.
4lbs isn't that heavy for a hunting bow, a little weight adds stability and usually makes for a quieter bow on the shot.
All the bows you've selected are nice choices.
My biggest concern for you, seeing as you don't seem to have access to a bow shop that can tune your bow, is to get a model with very good quality strings. If the strings stretch, the bow needs to be put in a press and the strings need to be twisted some more to get them to the right length again.

(Guys, maybe some of you haven't noticed, what we have here is a young female shooter. She most likely will not be able to handle the heavier draw weights some are suggesting.)

A 40-50lb bow would probably be a good place to start. With your short drawlength (DL for short) you will want a bow that has very good performance in a short DL. I would really suggest you check out the womens forum on this sight. There are a lot of ladies there who have a great deal of experience with different bow models and what works for them. Some bows are designed to perform better at shorter DLs then others. The Bowtech Equalizer comes to mind as one such model.

Come back to this Hunting Forum to keep asking questions, we love to help. I admire your ambition in trying overcome all the obstacles of a young lady in Scotland who wants to hunt big game with archery equipment.
I've started on a 35Ib recurve and have no problems with it but i want to move to compounds and that will be when i buy a bow :)

I dont think 4Ibs is heavy at all, i mean how heavy is that the equivalent to?

Huntersfriend advised me that they would tune the bow and have it field ready for me which is brilliant :wink:

Everyone is telling me to go for the reflex growler but its only in 50Ibs, how heavy is that? I reckon 40Ibs would be no problem but I dont have a clue how much 50Ibs is, if someone could give me a rough estimate of how heavy it is then it would help matters lol.

If I cannot pull 50 Ibs then i would have to go for either the PSE stinger, Parker wildfire XP or the martin cheetah. Though in saying that if the hoyt trykon came as a package i'd buy that but i haven't seen anywhere that sells them complete and ready to shoot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.