Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post to the board here.

I have aquired a Shakespear Wonderbow recurve with #'s of 50+ B72257M 58# bellow the grip and bellow that is a stamp of a deer head and the words "The NECEDAH model X 26.

At any rate, that's the bow info.......My neighbor brought this bow over one evening and said that I could have it. At the time it was not strung, but had a strin attatched. A couple days later a friend of mine was over and stated that he could string it and proceeded to place the bow behind his leg and compressed the bow attempting to string and seperated some the lamination in the lower limb.

Can this bow be repaired or is it now a decoration peace?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Most likely it's a wall-hanger, especially if any of the lams broke.

Chad

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quite aside from the fact that your friend had no business attempting to string a recurve using that method (which shouldn't really be used at all. . . but if it is used at all it should only be used on longbows); it is very doubtful that any repair method would be effective in the long run. Reason is that when the delaminations occured, there were micro-fractures that would also have occured for some distance thru the adhesive in the affected layer (at the very least). In other words, your entire bow has been compromised and probably was ready for retirement when your neighbor gave you the bow in the first place. It's a chance we all take when we acquire old bows.

I would be completely amazed if you could actually find a reputable bowyer who would even consider attempting such a repair.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Stash it in the rafters in the basement. Even if a bowyer would try to fix it, the cost would be more than the market value of the bow.

Your buddy broke the bow. Have him buy you a new Martin Hunter:^)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks

Thanks folks,

I figured that would be the census here. I've got place for it in the game room.

Getting this bow and shooting another recurve of a friend here has really given me the itch. I'm looking on ebay and other sites for a recurve or longbow to give this a try.

Thanks again,

Brandon

·
Banned
322 Posts
maybe u can fix it ur self, find out what glue they used on that bow and shove it between the seperation and clamp down. just for a try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a recurve.....

Just got an older Darton Recurve off Ebay for 66 bucks. Hopefully it is shootable and will be in servacible condition. Pics looked good. You folks wish me luck on this and thanks for the advice....

Brandon

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hope you've got a good deal there! My favorite bow is an old beat-up Pearson 52" recurve (Spectre model, 45#/28"). I bought it at a second-hand store for $35 and since then have put mabey 30,000 arrows thru it.

When you get your 'new' bow, give it a good once-over visual inspection. Use a high intensity flashlight (like a Maglight) to make seeing any cracks or indications easier. Longitudinal indications on the back are usually not rejectable (i.e. the bow is still shootable). Transverse indications on the back need to be looked at very carefully with a magnifying glass (at least 3x, preferably 5x) to determine whether or not it goes below the gelcoat. If a transverse indication seems to go below the gelcoat, then I would reject it then and there. It might survive being shot with such an indication but if it doesn't it likely will be a catastrophic failure (i.e. they might be picking splinters out of your face). Evidence of compression failure on the belly usually indicates that the bow is worn out but isn't as serious as indications on the back.

The thing about buying bows on E-Bay is that it is very difficult to photograph a bow such that indications will show up so you are taking a bit of a gamble but if you get a shooter you've really won and if you don't you haven't risked much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts