Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given 2 recurve target FITA bows, one 23" riser with long limbs and one 25" riser with medium limbs with the same poundage at 28" draw (both are 68" overall) which is better? Is there any difference at all?:confused:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
They will pretty much be identical. The long limbs might be slower because there is more material to make a long limb compared to a medium. But I would guess there isn't going to be much difference.

Someone like GT would probably know for sure. Good shooting.
Dylan

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
Hoyt used to claim that the shorter riser was more efficient for a short draw shooter so given the choice (normally this was with the 66" bow btw) you would go with the short riser and the medium limbs rather then the long riser and the short limbs. However, Mathews sort of established (for compounds) the speed and stability of long risers with shorter limbs.

Another reason for choosing the longer riser-If you shoot field and FITA you will need a sight mark from 10-90M (men) or 10-70M for women. The longer risers usually have a longer sight window and with some 23" risers, it was hard to keep your pin in the window for all the distances.

I recommend the 23" riser only to someone who needs the 64" bow (which you can't get with a long riser and hoyt limbs)

I shoot a 24" riser BTW-Sky outdoors and the Martin indoors

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
IIRC, Jay Barrs was at one point using the short riser/long limb combo for a 68" bow. As JimC says, the sight window thing becomes a problem with lower poundages - I guess over 46-47# it isn't much any more.

JMH0.02

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have shot both 23" and 25" risers and I never had any problems. It isn't a big deal. The "can't see the pin at short distances" thing is also rubbish unless you are shooting a 23" Avalon. But I've never seen a 2" Avalon though so I can't say.

If however you do shoot a very low poundage and cannot see the pin at 70m say
1) I would be surprised if you managed to buy a sight with that much vertical range.
2) You're never going to hit the targets effectively with your poundage anyway so you need to train more to shoot a heavier bow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts