Archery Talk Forum banner

Recurve shooters what size arrow?

5673 10
I just recently bought a Hoyt GamemasterII off of here and i was wandering what size aluminum arrow cut to what length and what size point i should use? i need something cheap to start out with so thats why i wanted aluminum cuz ive never owned a recurve:beer:. the bow specs are:

62" long
65# @ 28"

thanks for your help
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

· Registered *******
1,350 Posts
I would use Easton 2317's with a 125 grain point. You will have to figure out what length to cut them to fit your draw length. Recurves are fun good luck.

· Registered
5,437 Posts
I would use Easton 2317's with a 125 grain point. You will have to figure out what length to cut them to fit your draw length. Recurves are fun good luck.
IMO 2317's would be WAY too stiff.

Something on the order of the 2117's (125 gr points) that were recommended, or perhaps 2216's (150 gr points) with the Hoyt's center shot.

Hook up with some other traditional shooters and ask this question and just about every one of them will hand you one of their arrows to see how it shoots for you.

· Registered
641 Posts
You didn't mention your actual draw length or what tip wt you would prefer to shoot. If you are only drawing that bow an actual 26" your'e probably only pulling 59# On the other hand, 29" draw, your'e closer to 68# Are you looking for speed? Heavy wt for superior penetration for hunting? What type of string are using? Dacron? FF? 450? From my experience, you can make several shaft sizes work. But without knowledge there is no way I could recommend a specific arrow shaft. I can tell you a 2117 is a pretty good shaft for heavier draw wts, but for some reason I haven't been able to get them to fly well from any of my bows which are closer to mid 50#. I can shoot 2219's out of my 54# recurve, but testing was required to find the best length to cut the arrow with my desired tip wt. I can also shoot 400 spine Gold tips well. There are so many variables. Give us some specs to allow us to make a recommendation.

· Registered
10,560 Posts
You didn't mention your actual draw length or what tip wt you would prefer to shoot. If you are only drawing that bow an actual 26" your'e probably only pulling 59# On the other hand, 29" draw, your'e closer to 68# Are you looking for speed? Heavy wt for superior penetration for hunting? What type of string are using? Dacron? FF? 450? From my experience, you can make several shaft sizes work. But without knowledge there is no way I could recommend a specific arrow shaft. I can tell you a 2117 is a pretty good shaft for heavier draw wts, but for some reason I haven't been able to get them to fly well from any of my bows which are closer to mid 50#. I can shoot 2219's out of my 54# recurve, but testing was required to find the best length to cut the arrow with my desired tip wt. I can also shoot 400 spine Gold tips well. There are so many variables. Give us some specs to allow us to make a recommendation.
The weight or spine on a recurve is not as critical as a camed bow. The 2219 is the heaviest arrow in archery and do not see a need of that arrow in less you want a super heavy arrow.

· Registered
641 Posts
Yes the 2219 was setup for my 08 elk hunt. It tipped the scales near 600 gr. Although I opted for another bow and arrow setup to eventually take my P&Y bull, that bow and arrow combo was perfect. When I shot competitively with the recurve I could use several different arrow shaft/spine sizes. By playing with tip wt, playing with arrow length, sometimes even wt the nock. I could usually attain perfect arrow flight. It just depends on what you want. Speed or massive penetration, or a compromise.
And I totally disagree with you about spine not being critical on a recurve bow. There are some of us who take pride in being able to hit what we want with near pinpoint accuracy with the simple bow. It is extremely critical to get the best arrow flight possible, especially when using fixed blade cut on contact broadheads that I use. I have been bowhunting and target shooting for far too many yrs to buy that line friend.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im not sure on the string its the one that comes factory from hoyt.....but when i shoot compound i shoot 30" draw...i dont know what that would put me at on a recurve.....lookin to shootin point weights of 100-125

· Registered
265 Posts
Stroked is correct! Arrow spine is very important when shooting a traditional bow. There are alot of factors that come into play. I bare shaft tune first and that seems to work well for me. Blackwidow makes a good video demenstrating it if your not fimiliar with how to do it. If you have a 30" draw with a compound you will probably be around 28" with a recurve and in the low 60's lb range. I think a 2018 would be a good place to start. I would only buy 3 or 4 to experiment with first. I always try to pick an arrow that will finish out as close to 10 grains per lb of draw weight as I can get it. If you go to OL Adcock Custom Bows website he has a good page on tuning recurves and longbows. 125 gr points, you will need the weight. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.