Archery Talk Forum banner

Recurve Starter for 7 Year Old

1292 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  skybowman
I'm looking for takedown recurve recommendations for a petite 7 year old girl. She's just over 4ft tall, but will probably grow a few inches in the next year or so. The PSE Buckeye Jr her sister has is just too big at this poiint.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22,132 Posts
Andy -

My basic rule of thumb with kids, is if they are under 5' tall and/or have a draw length under 24", go with a Mathews Genesis and not a stickbow. Lighter draw weights and more oomph down range. It's also a bow ANYONE can use. Also at age 7, you have to assess is it playtime or "shooting".

Viper1 out.

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a Genesis for my other daughter. My little one isn't strong enough to hold it yet. Methinks I'll have to take her to the gym first.....

· Registered
1,460 Posts
If you can find one, try PSE Cupid/Samick 46" (I can't recall the name of the Samick right now - it's the same bow under a different label) It's a light, plastic-handled TD recurve that I use with my 8-9 year olds and a few 6/7 I get in my camp program.
They are out of production, but I've seen some around. They come in 15# - of course, she'd be drawing less than that.
There are a number of 48" wood recurve takedowns tapped for sight, button ands stabilizer as those are needed. Chiron, Ragim, K&K and others make them and they are fairly light in the hand but are "real bows".
We start our smallest kids at 15# or so.
I don't know if the mini-genesis would draw well - I think the brace height might be more than half her draw length and the metal handle might be heavy for her - but I'm a recurve guy, so others can comment on that.

· Registered
435 Posts
My twin boys turn 5 next month and they love their 15# 46" PSE Deputy Heritage recurves. The riser is a shoot-through design and the bow is quite durable. I believe I paid about $75 each new. They come in 15# or 20# versions. The sight is very very simple, which in my opinion is good for that age. If you're not ready for a larger take down but don't want a fiberglass stick bow, I think this bow is a great option.

http://www.pse-archery.com/cat.php?k=135539

· Registered
124 Posts
The mini Genesis would be a great choice, We have had some very small children shoot our annual Genesis shoot (which by the way can be very humbling even for the seasoned pros) and the smaller ones can handle the mini very easily, it is considerably lighter than the original Genesis and with max draw weight (If my memory serves me correctly) of 10 lbs it still moves a arrow down the range with plenty of energy to stick in the majority of targets easily,Good Luck:)
SC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.