Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm shopping for material for my first custom endless loop strings for olympic recurve. After testing some of my friend's srings, I have decided to try BCY mercury.

I am not sure about the end loop serving though. I was thinking going for Angel Majesty for both center and loop serving because I've heard many good things about it but I don't know much about the thread diameter I should choose.

Should the end seriving be on the tick side? I've heard that AM starts to be fragile at 0.015 and some people have said they serve their end loops with 0.021 or thicker. On the other hand, some seem to serve their loops with much thinner material (Brownell duragrip for ex.) close to 0.007.

What gives the best result for recurve loops, thick or thin material? Is there any difference in the end result or is it just preference based?

Thanks in advance and have a great day

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
I can't comment on AM as a serving, I have not used it.

from a diameter perspective, too thin makes for a very "hard" loop that can pinch and cut hands if you brace using the push-pull method (and many oly recurvers do, because adjusting brace height with a stringer is a pain). a little padding makes things more comfortable. for the end serving, you don't want it too fat, or you can end up with string slap - heard a bow once with a bad string that sounded like a rifle going off.

.018" to .021" seems to be a good compromise. .015" would not hurt at all if that's what your material of choice comes in.

I'm sure you can use smaller material without issue if you prefer though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you for your help!

I have 2 sets of nocks and I will most likely need 0.021 and 0.018 anyway so I'll try to do my loops with those and then go from there.

Do you mind sharing what serving you are using for your strings?

Best

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
With 24 strands of Mercury, I use 90% 3D - .016 - or Halo in .017 or .019.
Don't like going thicker than the .019 as it becomes more difficult to get the smooth transition from end serving to string when closing the loops

·
September is go time!!
1,005 Posts
I use 3D serving as well on most recurves. 100% on the newer recurves. I use to use thicker serving material but the 3D just looks better overall. I think honestly it's more looks than any performance or durability thing. I could be wrong on that but I have yet to see anything indicating premature failure due to using 3D serving. Just my .02 which isn't worth that after taxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts