Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was shooting a martin hatfield takedown recurve and slapping my wrist every shot. i believe the string is incorrect. nothing on the bow indicates the proper string length. any suggestions?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Try posting this one over in the Traditional Archery forum. I'm sure that there's tons of knowledge about this over there. Strings probably too long>brace height is to small>wrist slap...then again, I dunno much about traditional.

Oh yeah...Welcome to AT. Spend some time looking around. You'll love this place.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,775 Posts
To solve your problem, increase your braceheight...

Dwayne

·
(aka lug nut)
48,329 Posts
verminator said:
i was shooting a martin hatfield takedown recurve and slapping my wrist every shot. i believe the string is incorrect. nothing on the bow indicates the proper string length. any suggestions?
Measure your brace height.

It is the distance between the pivot point and the string.

Yes, the picture is a compound bow,
but Item No. 8 is the brace height.

If you bow is a 62-inch bow,
then I would suggest adding twists to the end loop
to "shorten" the bowstring until you get a brace height measurement
of 8.25 inches.

If you have a 66-inch or 68-inch bow,
then you could aim for a 8.50-inch brace height.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,775 Posts
You can go above the manufacturers Brace Height recommendation if you want. It will not hurt your bow one bit.

Increase the BH, until it stops slapping you.

Dwayne

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
Guys -

Lets see. so far:

5 people have welcomed Verminator to AT,

1 guy, suggested he try posting on the Traditional forum :confused: ,

and two suggested raising the brace height (sorry Dwayne)

Sure, a low brace height can cause a wrist slap, but so can over rotating the palm on the grip (putting too much meat on it, so to speak). So can a severely mismatched arrow, or in some cases nocks that are too tight.

The newer models have a suggested bradce height of 7.25 - 7.75" (I was going to guess 7.5", but thought I'd check first :rolleyes: ).

Verminator, certainly check your brace height, but a little more info might help.

BTW - Welcome aboard, and don't mind me, just enjoy rassing these guys every now and then ... :darkbeer:

Viper1 out.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,775 Posts
and two suggested raising the brace height (sorry Dwayne)
Uhmph... you just mad because I was the one that ran off with Vermonsters bow and left you behind picking up the pieces...<g>.

Dwayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts