Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume this has already been covered infinite times, but I am about to get a bow, after not shooting since I was 10-11, and I was wondering what I should get, and any specific models. I am leaning towards a compound, but I think Im just doing that because they have lots of features. I have heard all about: Recurve bows give you better skills, Compounds are quicker to shoot well with...
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do in archery. If you have Olympic aspirations, you should get a recurve. If there is a club you will be joining, you will probably want to get the type of bow that is predominant at that club.

Both types of bows can be a lot of fun and you can always add the other type of bow later. There is not need to restrict yourself to one or the other.

Good luck,
Allen

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll share with you a very personal experience, so you'll have to take it for what its worth.
I had been playing around with a Samick Sage for a year or two and really enjoyed just shooting.
It got me on an itch to try hunting with a bow.
I was going to try hunting with a recurve - go up in draw weight and double down on practice and all that.
But I talked myself out of it, thinking I'd really need a compound for the distance, accuracy and ethical kill.
So I went for a compound, and had a good experience buying off of here at AT.
Unfortunately like a fool within my first few days of trying compound I dry fired the bow.
And now I see the dark side of compounds - they are complex.
The parts have taken weeks and weeks to get, and I still don't have them all, and when I get everything back together I face hours and hours of tuning.
All of which has got me thinking that recurves are simple and troublefree in comparison - in all ways except feathers instead of vanes.
Part of me is now wishing I had doubled down on hunting recurve instead of trying for compound.
I'd pick up a new recurve/longbow to continue my journey beyond the Samick Sage, but I have three kids, so I can't just be buying this stuff willy nilly. Otherwise I'd put in an order at bamabows tomorrow.
YMMV!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm transitioning to a compound but am a trad guy at heart. For me, it's the allure of the craftsmanship of the gear; I like the looks of the gear (bows, arrows, tackle) more; I much prefer the drawing cycle and holding weight; The gear itself is much simpler, less stuff to break or go out of tune and worry about; I like that my bow's mass weight is well under 2lbs (I have one that weighs under 1lb!), whereas a bare compound is generally in the 3-4lb range; and let's be honest, there is a small amount of romanticism in shooting the trad gear.

When you say features I assume you mean all the little gadgets that people put on their bows like sights, rests, stabilizers. All these little gadgets can be had for either platform honestly, just depends on how YOU want to shoot. Compounds are generally easier to shoot for a novice due to the lighter holding weight and the fact that they are built to be used with sights. Most trad bows are not built to accept sights, however there are some available, especially if you look into target models, that will take sights.

Are you planning on using this for hunting? Target? Have you shot either type of bow recently? Go get a couple of bows in your hands, touch them, feel them, shoot them at your local shop or sporting goods store and you'll quickly know which camp you belong to.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,970 Posts
Do like I did.... Get some of each. :wink:

I really am a compound shooter but I do enjoy taking my recurves out from time to time. I just shoot them for fun.

·
Registered
210 Posts
tough call, nobody can give you that answer, nobody can even tell you what recurve or what compound, I think there is quite a few people that shoot both, but I don't think a person will ever find their max performance with a stick bow while bouncing back and forth. longbows/recurve require a lot of dedication, where as I have seen people walk into a pro shop and a couple hours later be shooting pretty darn good at 20yds. that doesn't mean a person shouldn't own both. you should at least give both a try.

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
I strated when there were no compounds (1956) & used recurves for nearly 20 years & was pretty proficient with them. Won some major State Archery Tournaments & 1 5 state sectional with fingers & managed to shoot 38 Big game animals. Mid 70s went to compounds like most & have enjoyed lots of everything with them but I always had an old recurve I would back yard shoot every once in awhile to keep up a little on it. I "just" ordered a 68" 50# Longbow to see if I've retained any of my old skills.
BOTH are fun but the compound & it's advantages will make "most" a better shooter. In a recurve, you do have to put in some time practicing compared to a compound.
As far as hunting, if you put in your time, the recurve is just as deadly & those who have never taken the time to learn have misconceptions on their ability to kill at ranges over 20-30 yds... Good luck in your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I shoot both what I like about each is greatly different. With the compound I like the challange of hitting the X each and every time or the 12 ring of a 3D target. In essence the extreme accuracy of a tuned bow and good form so I can hit a very small portion of a target. With a recurve I love the simplicity of the system. I am not by any means as accurate with a recurve as I am with a compound but the skills do cross over. Being consistant with form, draw and release will allow you to at least hit the whole target. A 4 inch group with a recurve is just as rewarding as a dime size group with a compound at 20 yds. As far as enjoyment I like the recurve better because My expectations are not as high as with my compound bow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everyone!
I think I might go to a shop and try a few of each, but I'll probably get a recurve, for the simplicity.
Thanks again :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Everyone!
I think I might go to a shop and try a few of each, but I'll probably get a recurve, for the simplicity.
Thanks again :wink:
I see you're based in England, most archery clubs over here run courses of lessons for beginners where they will provide the equipment, most clubs use recurve bows for the lessons but some will have compound bows to try. You can find the contact details for local clubs on the Archery GB website, here's a link http://www.archerygb.org/ they are the governing body for target archery in the UK, there are other archery associations you can try.

Cheers, Jim.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,644 Posts
Its a tough call. I started out with a recurve and never got too passionate about it. After compounds became popular I really started enjoying archery. I have since shot both and while I admire the craftsmanship and beauty of the Trad gear my heart is still with the compounds. Unlike most people that shoot them however I like a very simple more primitive compound setup........not all the high tech gadgets........just ruins it for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts