Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! everybody;

Anyone have or had one of Chad Weavers custom bows? They look like nice bows from the web site that I visited. I was wondering if they were Quiet,smooth, and had any hand shock or stacking, and pinching? How accurate are the Hunter II series? I was hopiing they'ed be a good starter bow especially for the price. Do they carry any type of warranty.

Just Interested !

Holler Critter

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm going to assume that Chad will chime in with the details but I will give you my impression.

I have owned a Chek-Mate for about 15 years now and can say I will not sell it. They are well worth the money in my opinion and cost much less than bows of equal fit and finish from other name brands.

I have only shot the Hunter 2, but found it to be a very smooth and stable shooter. No stack (at 28"), and definately no hand shock even with lighter arrows.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Owner

I have had a total of 4 td hunters all different weights as we grow older the weights go down of course but I still own a checkmate, these where fine shooting , also these where all made in canada , hope they still are.... good invesment.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I know Chad personally and can say he will do EVERYTHING he can to help you. He let me come to his home a couple times and try a lot of bows he had in stock. He kept telling me ( you don't have to buy a bow.) After trying several bows I bought a Falcon. It seemed to fit me best. I would surely deal with Chad anytime. I have another friend that owns a trad archery shop and I try out a lot of bows. I have found my Falcon to shoot as good as bows costing hundreds more. Whatever you decide try to shoot one first. A lot depends on personal preference insted of quality.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Thanks for the good word men!

First, I can't take credit for building the bows. Marc Moriez is the bowyer, and they are still made in Abbotsford, BC where Chek-Mate has been located the past 34 or so years. I'm just a dealer (CM doesn't sell direct--only 4 people at the shop, one bowyer, so they don't have time to take care of customer service), but I do make the strings for the bows I sell.

Properly tuned, they are very quiet and have very little hand shock. Some say "none", but to me any bow will have a little. Get a bow that fits you, and there will be no stack. 'Course if you draw 32" and try to shoot the 52" Raven, it's going to stack, but if you draw 28" you can shoot it just fine. If you do draw 32", there's a few models that will work for you also.

Accuracy is in the shooter--if you mean how forgiving are they, it depends on the model. All are forgiving in some aspects if you get the right bow for you. For example, if you have a habit or torquing, I wouldn't go with the Longhorn, because with it's reflexed riser it's more sensitive to torque. The Attila isn't going to be as forgiving in arrow spine as the Hunter II because the shelf on the Attila is cut to center, but the Hunter II is cut past center.

In my opinion, they are excellent bows for both beginner and seasoned archer. My best friend has taken more animals with a bow than anyone I know personally, plus several trophies when he shot tournaments, and he shoots the Falcon (he has 3 or 4 with another on order).

The "official" warranty is 2 years against defects in material or workmanship. Full warranty, not pro-rated. After that, it is at the descretion of Chek-Mate. I know they have taken care of a lot of bow that were well beyond the warranty.

Hope that helps--if you have any questions feel free to e-mail or call. Both are on my web site.

Chad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
proper way to check draw length without a bow for reference?

Thanks for all the good advice about chekmate bows and the time and effort. I hope i can put it to good use soon.

I was wondering if some of you nice folks could send me some pointers in checking draw length. I shoot insticntively off the shelf. I have an old bear recurve, but the limbs are twisted and I'm not sure I could measure it by drawing an arrow? I here that some folks use a yard stick center chest arms stretched out in front hands applied to sides of yard stick will get a rough estimate of draw length? Is this true or can I do in a more accurate way.

Thank yaw!

Holler Critter

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
There is no "trick" to finding out what your draw length is, other than drawing a bow, and even then it can vary a little depending on the draw weight and grip style. The yardstick etc. methods will work for some folks, but everyone is different--broad shoulders tend to draw longer than narrow, where you anchor can make a big difference (I changed anchor points and went from 32" to 30.5" on my longbow), how you stand (straight up, hunkered down, or in-between), if you use back tension, etc. etc.

Sorry--I don't know of any accurate shortcuts here.

Chad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello Gentlemen.

I just revisited Chek-Mate's web site. "Look-a-nice."

I have had the opportunity of comparing two well-made 66" longbows, one 52" recurve and a Chek-Mate Falcon that was purchased in 2004. I don't know how they do it up there is Canada, but the Falcon pulls super smooth and is noticeably faster than the other three bows that are +/- 1 pound of the Falcon. Here's the funny part it "feels" five pounds lighter!!

Also Chad is an outstanding fellow to work with for sure.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
longbowman,

Take a look at the title of the thread. You've done a fine job of hijacking it.

Bill

·
Registered
651 Posts
I really don't think you could consider that hijacking a thread. He just gave another source for buying Checkmate bows. I've bought from recurves.com, G & M, and Archery by Mail. All three have great customer service.....But Chad Weaver offers the best accessories to these fine bows. His come with a bowsock and a fine flemish twist bowstring. Checkmate bows cannot be ordered directly from the company, you must buy from a dealer....kind of like Mathews or Hoyt.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Thanks again for the good word. I have to say though, we don't have bow socks anymore--the fellow I was getting them from quit making them some time back, and I had to cut back to stay competitive.

FWIW, I try to stock bows, just can't get them fast enough.

Abel is correct that you can't order them direct. There's only 4 people at the shop (1 bowyer, his helper, and the two owners) and they just don't have time to talk to customers and get the work done. Great people to deal with though.

Chad

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Abel said:
I really don't think you could consider that hijacking a thread. He just gave another source for buying Checkmate bows. I've bought from recurves.com, G & M, and Archery by Mail. All three have great customer service.....But Chad Weaver offers the best accessories to these fine bows. His come with a bowsock and a fine flemish twist bowstring. Checkmate bows cannot be ordered directly from the company, you must buy from a dealer....kind of like Mathews or Hoyt.
Abel,

What you say is true. However, the question posed was about Chek-Mate bows sold by Chad at recurves.com.

Bill

·
Registered
651 Posts
Bill, right. And those bows sold by Chad are the same great bows sold by every Checkmate dealer. If someone asked me about a local Mathews dealer who sold Switchbacks for 799, and I knew of another fella down the street that sold'em for 749, I'd tell that person about both. Just a common courtesy, that's all. The one sellin' for 749 might not be givin' away free Mathews hats and keychains and bumper stickers. Who knows. I do know that I liked the string supplied by www.recurves.com better than the other two dealers dacron endless loop deals. But, sometimes Chad doesn't have a particular weight in a particular model and its great to have other options. Anyway, I see your point Bill and I hope you can see mine.

·
Registered
Black Hawk Yellow Jacket.
185 Posts
I can say that Chad Weaver is "the Best" dealer I've ever had dealings with.

My son and I have a Longhorn, and a Hunter 56 recurve. We love them both.

I also have a custom Crusader takedown ordered.

My Hunter 56 has very little handshock. (I have a sensitive elbow from an accident, so I'm not too partial to handshock). Although I do have some limbsavers on the limbs at the fadeouts. It's super quiet with homemade wool puffs.
From what I've heard the Hunter 2 is far superior to my Hunter 56. If so, I don't know why a person would want anything more in a recurve. Because I like my Hunter 56 very well.

My opinion is with Chek-Mate, you're getting a top dollar bow, for half price!

And I can't imagine getting better service from a dealer, or bowyer for that matter, than the service you'll get from Chad Weaver. His strings are top notch too!

hnh

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Again, I really appreciate the good word.

Abel is right, with an exception. The bows I sell are the same models made by the same bowyer, but I do have some riser woods and limb veneers that are exclusive to me.

I completely understand wanting to help a fellow archer out, and I know my inventory is not as good as some. Honestly I don't know how in the world they keep so many on hand--I can't get them fast enough.

Regardless of where you got it, if anyone has a questions or needs help with a CM bow, you are always welcome to contact me about it and I'll help if I can.

Chad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hunter II

I have a Hunter II 50# @ 28" 58" limbs. I've been shooting it for about a year and just started hunting it last weekend. All I can say is, it's smooth. Fast enuff and the workmanship is great. I'm very pleased with mine. For the money, you can't go wrong. I stear all my friends that have an interest in traditional archery towards considering a Chek-Mate and dealing with Chad. It's worth the waite.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts