Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what some of your shooting or aiming styles are and what is your yardage comfort zone on say a whitetail?
There is an on going debate at the local 3-d club concerning traditional stake yardages which is the reason for this thread. We are a hunting club and like the shooting lanes trashy, but yardages are sometimes a rub! Any comments are welcome!!
I shoot instinctive and three under. I'm extremely confident with shots out to 20 yards but my groups suffer greatly any farther out. I basically let stuff go outside of 21 or 22 yards. What about ya'll?

Happy shooting
Hasbro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hasbro
I see you're from Sapulpa. I grew up there and live in Berryhill now. What club do you belong to and how do I get into it? Haven't belonged to an archery club in about 10 years but am interested now. Have a few friends who are also getting into traditional archery who would be interested as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I will shoot up to 35 yards, I am comftorable out to 35 yards and wouldn't have any doubts about making a good clean kill at that range on a whitetail. I shoot three under also.

·
Registered
417 Posts
English or Mediterranean release, high anchor, small game, 20 yards, large, 40, more or less. There are other factors to consider such as the angle of penetration but I shouldn't muddy the waters I think.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seymour, just going out on a limb here but with a mediteranian release and a high anchor, wouldn't the arrow be in you're line of sight...LOL!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Release vs Range:

Hasbro, you've brought up an interesting point about shooting three under vs split finger. The advantages of shooting three under are that you never pinch the arrow and that in using the three under style you are bringing the arrow up to your eye level so that you can sight down the barrel. Also, I suspect that, at close range anyway, you can shoot accurately very very quickly and consistently. Same thing works for guns without sights - for the same reason (reference trap and skeet shooting where the barrel of the shotgun is also the sight plane).

The problem with using the three under style is that in order to hit the targets at ranges much greater than about 20 to 25 yards you wind up having to elevate the bow to the point where barrel sighting is no longer possible. Result is that at longer ranges you are effectively back to square one. In other words, barrel shooting is fine - for the close in shots; it just doesn't work for the longer shots. Three fingers under works fine at any time but it temps you to always barrel shoot.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Kitsap, aren't you forgetting about all the string/face walkers that are pure deadly at Field/Hunter Rounds up to 80yrds with recurves and barebow compounds? They're all 3 Under.

·
Registered
417 Posts
barbwire44: High anchor to me means mouth high not eye level. Low anchor is chin or chest high. There's an old Turkish anchor you might call forehead high but we probably shouldn't go into that since it involves some contortions that are probably unfamiliar to Western archers and could cause them to injure themselves, especially on horseback. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're correct, Kitsap. This is why it's also often called the Apache release. The Apaches were deadly at short range, especially on jackrabbits, but they also boasted they could kill Mexicans with rocks, which were probably effective over the same ranges as the Apache release was.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but it's important to understand a technique's limitations as well as advantages.

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
Re: Release vs Range:

kitsap -

Kitsap said:
Hasbro, you've brought up an interesting point about shooting three under vs split finger. The advantages of shooting three under are that you never pinch the arrow and that in using the three under style you are bringing the arrow up to your eye level so that you can sight down the barrel.

The problem with using the three under style is that in order to hit the targets at ranges much greater than about 20 to 25 yards you wind up having to elevate the bow to the point where barrel sighting is no longer possible
The other slight problem is if/when an arrow nock breaks.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've been taken to task more than once for asserting that three-under and string walking are the same thing, at least in principle. Now Jack does it with impunity. What's up with that? :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Brian,
For traditional shooting the Okmulgee Bow Hunters assoc is the best IMO. I also belong to the Tulsa Co. Bow Hunters Off of w. 41st and Coyote Trail rd. in Sandsprings, They have a good setup.
Tulsa Co. has a shoot Sept 6th. PM me and I'll give you directions. Okmulgee has one coming up but I don't know the exact date!

All the trad shoots around here require one finger to touch the nock so string walking isn't done. I personally don't care, if someone wants to string walk then let em!
Kitsap- I don't conscientously gunbarrel. I concentrate on the spot and loose the arrow. I got upset a couple of years ago at my poor shooting and went three under and tried gapping. I never could gap because I tended to concentrate on the arrow and bad things happened. almost like target panic shooting wheelies.:D

Hasbro

·
Registered
380 Posts
i shoot out to twenty yards with confidence. anything after that i won't shoot. where i hunt it's pretty thick with brush so twenty yards is all i'll get any way.
don

·
Registered
710 Posts
Selfbows / Split finger / middle finger in corner of mouth - Feel that's a good, fast acting draw for the close range hunting archer.

Max shot distance depends on many things (degree of recent practice, confidence, temperature, amount of clothing, animal awareness and pace, etc...) I've taken shots to 35 yd or so, yet have passed on shots as close as 10. It all depends, and the decision can't really be made until the moment arrives.

Generalities might include; early season (lots of practice, warm weather, limber muscles, physically fresh) - shots out to 20-35 yds / late season (minimal practice, sub-freezing temps, stiff muscles, mind numbing shivering) - shots out to 10-20 yds.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
"String Walking" is using a 3-under grip, but moving your fingers up and down the string, i.e. not necessarily touching the arrow nock, to create different trajectories for different distances. It is usually combined with "Face Walking" which is anchoring at differing places on your face, i.e. cheekbone, corner of mouth, under chin. A truly proficient string/face walker will have a different location on the string/face for each incremental distance. In its perfected form it can be extremely deadly. For this reason many archery venues outlaw either form and require that a single anchor point be used and one finger must always touch the nock. The Europeans are especially adept at the practice, particularly in IFAA Field which requires shooting up to 80yrds. Because of the recent association formed with the IFAA, the IBO now allows it in the Recurve Unaided Class, but still outlaws it in Hunter Recurve and Traditional Classes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A string walker is someone who draws 3-fingers under but puts his drawing hand at different locations under the nock for different yardages. For example, at 20 yards they might put their fingers an inch below the nock/arrow and at 40 they might put them 2 inches under. They anchor at the same spot and normally put the tip of their arrow on the target, by walking the string they can hit at the different distances. I saw one once at the park and he has damn accurate.
A face walker is kinda like a string walker except instead of going down the string he changes his anchor along his face. A higher anchor for close shots and a low anchor for long shots.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hold the bow vertical and the front sight is the tip of the arrow.

What # of bow did you decide on? Can you hold it at full draw & at anchor comfortably and how long, about, are you holding before you loose?

Happy shooting

Hasbro

1 - 20 of 36 Posts