Archery Talk Forum banner

Red dot scopes

752 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Padgett
As I am suffering from an age induced eyesight malfunction, I've found using a pin scope a little tricky.
I have read some very favourable articles on red dot holographic scopes on bows. This has the advantage of getting rid of the peep sight on the string. If anyone has ever had the bit of rubber tube that aligns the peep snap and smack you between the eyes you'll know what I mean.
I have a red dot sight with a x3 magnification lens built in however, no means to attach it to my bow and allow for enough elevation adjustment as it is primarily a rifle scope. Now I know you lucky people over in the USA are a lot further down the technology path than us Brits. Any suggestions?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
I got a cheap red dot scope and it was mounted on a movable sight rail and I kind of liked shooting with it but I could not get it to hold a sight setting. I had to sight it in all the stinking time and it just wouldn't work. Maybe if you had a expensive one it could work but the 30 dollar one was a fail.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
For sights like the Red Dot or the EOtech holographic you can try to find a used HHA OL setup or do a little fabricating to make one work. EOTech used to use them with their Holographic bow sight and even HHA marketed one for a time.

If you want to try making one work I can try to explain it a bit. You use an HHA mounting bracket for starters. Where the scope mounts to the front of the slider bracket there are about 6 vertical holes. You need a piece of 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" aluminum angle about 1" wide. Drill two holes in the angle to match up with any two on the sight bracket. To this you attach a Weaver scope mounting base. The HHA bracket has the usual two holes for attaching to the bow---one of them has to be slotted to allow tilting the whole thing so it's "looking" right back at your eye at full draw.

Whether you use a Holographic sight like the EOTech or a red dot you will still need to use a peep sight for best results unless you have an anchor that is rock solid.

I'll see if I can track something down. U used to have the HHA/EOtech version back about 2002.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
OK. Use the "search" function and type in eotech. There are several old threads with pix dating back to 2008. Oh, and the HHA bracket is called an Optimizer Lite Plus.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
If this age related eye problem is an astigmatism you need to try one before you buy it. I cannot use the red dot scopes. It's like seeing an ink blot instead of a dot. The holographic reflex sights are better, but it depend on the reticle in it for me. The circle and dot are OK, single large dot is still problematic.

· Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sights like the Red Dot or the EOtech holographic you can try to find a used HHA OL setup or do a little fabricating to make one work. EOTech used to use them with their Holographic bow sight and even HHA marketed one for a time.

If you want to try making one work I can try to explain it a bit. You use an HHA mounting bracket for starters. Where the scope mounts to the front of the slider bracket there are about 6 vertical holes. You need a piece of 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" aluminum angle about 1" wide. Drill two holes in the angle to match up with any two on the sight bracket. To this you attach a Weaver scope mounting base. The HHA bracket has the usual two holes for attaching to the bow---one of them has to be slotted to allow tilting the whole thing so it's "looking" right back at your eye at full draw.

Whether you use a Holographic sight like the EOTech or a red dot you will still need to use a peep sight for best results unless you have an anchor that is rock solid.

I'll see if I can track something down. U used to have the HHA/EOtech version back about 2002.
Thanks mate, very helpful. I tried the same required on a forum here in the UK, got a very mixed bag reaction. Although there doesn't seem to be anything in competition rules about these sights, some people were decidedly frosty about the idea?

· Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is my left eye is fixed focal length of about 20 feet while my right eye is fixed at around 5 miles!
Iust admit holding the scope at arms length, a red dot is more of a blot but switching to a green dot it's fine. Something to do with the wave length I think.

· Back Yard Champion
35,986 Posts
Shooter friend of mine had a red dot scope for a bow, factory built. He could never keep it sighted in and a real pain sighting it in.

There other sight options, Perry's No Peep, Compound Rife Sight and a few others that remove the need of a peep in the string.

As you didn't note power of lens or type of peep, many can use 2X, 3X and 4X lens without a clarifier. The Super peep comes in two types (37 and 45 degree) and three sizes (standard, 1/4" and 5/16"). Each having several different orifices to choose from. The right amount of light (opening of the orifice) is one key to seeing well.

Rubber tubing aligner peeps. Properly set up and maintained there isn't a thing wrong with them. The tubing should only be short enough to pull the peep straight. This takes stress off the tubing and prolongs tubing life. Even the best of tubing wears, cracks and ages (some quicker than others). Have doubt of the tubing, change it.

The rule I know is for projected dots, laser type sight. They are not legal in competition (might depend on the organization) or hunting....

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
If you are wanting to do this on a target type bow then just get a 4x lens and get a speciality archery hooded pro peep along with a number one clarifier and a 5 piece aperature kit. This will give you a nice set of peep holes and a clarifier to try and see which one gives you the best look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.