Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would make for an interesting experiment if a large group of us bowhunters
went out for a season dressed in the old red flannel and blue jeans or work bibs while another group wore hi tech cammo only.

I wonder what the tally would be for the two groups as far as number of deer kills in total?

Do you think there would be a large disparity in numbers of kills between the two groups?

Discuss!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I dont know what the difference would be but your question made me laugh about an evening I hunted last fall. I had driven all the way to my hunting site (1hr and 15 minutes one way) and had everything to hunt with except my camo. Well I tooK my coat and wore it inside out ( it had a plaid flannel lining) with blue jeans and a baseball hat. I did have some face paint on and the wind in my face but I saw 10-15 deer that night at 20 yards or less.

P.S. I didnt tell my wife or i would have bought my last piece of camo :wink:

It will be interesting to hear what others say

·
Registered
198 Posts
everything else being equal, I don't think you'd see a big difference. If you can still when you need to it doesn't matter a whole lot what you're wearing, but if you can't sit still it doesn't matter how good your camo is either.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about buying a nice 360 shooting view blind.
I was also thinking about some of that neet dream season scent lock stuff.

I was trying to figure out if I could save the money by not purchasing the cammo.

I will probably hunt from my summit stand alot too so I am hoping to get away with not buying any expensive cammo. I wont need the cammo when in the blind, but might need it from my stand.

Help me decide.
Lets discuss!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
Blue is one of the colors that deer can see.

i hunt from the ground so camo is a necessity
I know that deer can see blue but the first deer I shot (in 1949) was with a red/black plaid shirt and blue jeans and from a ground blind. I'm not even sure if camo was available (other than from an army/navy surplus store).

I also know that I wouldn't go out now without it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like most of the guys here, have all the latest and greatest. Predator, Sky Line apparition, Mossy Oak, and Deception HD. I think it definately helps, but must say that back when I started hunting, about 30 years ago, I hunted in blue jeans, khaki wool, red and black plaid and whatever I was able to buy. Also, lets face it every year at deer check stations we see guys dressed in just about everything under the sun. The camo does help, but scent and movement are the real keys. Control those two and everything else will fall into place. In NY, especially during gun season, if camo was all that critical, only a few guys would ever shoot any deer. Did you ever see some of the full blaze orange coveralls? My God, How can a deer not see that?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've had deer walk up to me when I was wearing blue jeans. Sitting still and upwind, they had a hard time figuring out if I was a threat or not. One doe in particular came up to within 5 yards and did the neck craning thing for a few minutes, then, convinced I wasn't a threat, just continued on her way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I always use camo so I cant comment about jeans and flannel, but the key to the camo is not so much color but the breaking up your outline. The human outline is what you are trying to hide, so I would think that solid colors like blue jeans or those blaze orange overalls would accentuate your outline. I also have heard that your eyes will give you away. Deer are looking for predators, and all predators have bifocal eyes (on the front of the face) so they can judge distance better, while deer and other "prey" animals have their eyes on the sides of their heads for better periferal vision. When a deer spots me I always avert my eyes and watch them from the corner of my eye until they look away.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
CityBoy2 said:
It would make for an interesting experiment if a large group of us bowhunters
went out for a season dressed in the old red flannel and blue jeans or work bibs while another group wore hi tech cammo only.

I wonder what the tally would be for the two groups as far as number of deer kills in total?

Do you think there would be a large disparity in numbers of kills between the two groups?

Discuss!
People still do it all the time....

they are called red necks....

just kidding,however I once arrowed a bull elk wearing a red long sleeve tee shirt...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My hunting buddies and I are firmly convinced that deer and elk see uv reflected light. There are certain fabrics and materials that glow. You can test your camo by going into a dark room and turning on a black light, you can see some things glow, some camo companies are on to this and don't use fabrics that glow, others light up like crazy. You can even check some of your flannels and blue jeans, if they don't glow, they will just look grey. You can get that UF killer spray but it isn't practical. So I always check any new camo I buy to make sure it doesn't glow.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've bow killed three deer wearing old jeans and a camo shirt. I think you look more like a tree if you wear a solid colored trunk 'the jeans' and leaves on your branches 'the camo shirt'.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
CityBoy2 said:
I was thinking about buying a nice 360 shooting view blind.
I was also thinking about some of that neet dream season scent lock stuff.

I was trying to figure out if I could save the money by not purchasing the cammo.

I will probably hunt from my summit stand alot too so I am hoping to get away with not buying any expensive cammo. I wont need the cammo when in the blind, but might need it from my stand.

Help me decide.
Lets discuss!

The clothes I buy I buy for function not looks. I've never bought anything hunting related because it came in a cool pattern. I don't think the deer care. When I buy something, I buy what makes sense for the weather conditions I plan to hunt. In early season I'm perfectly happy with military surplus camo. It's cheap and works just fine. From there I plan around what will probobly be the normal coldest temperatures and conditions. If I can't stay warm, I can't stay put, and then it doesn't matter what I smell or look like cause I won't be in the woods. If you plan on hunting cold weather, i would suggest buying some good quality cold weather clothing first and then worying about the scentlock stuff.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
City, do a search here as we had a thread about homemade camo........cheap, easy and effective!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the hunters were of equal skill, I don't think the numbers would really be that much different. As long as you hunt the wind, breakup your outline behind you, keep your scent down and be still, I think you could just as easily kill a deer with a tux! I have killed serveral deer wearing jeans and a jacket, but prefer the cool look of the "High tech" camo! HardwoodsgreenHD to be exact!! :wink: :D :thumbs_up

Just my thoughts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.