Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a new headlamp but have a question about the different colors of there light output. Do deer have a hard time seeing the red, green, or blue colored headlamps. Is there an advantage of one color over the other?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Red and Green aren't supposed to spook deer and the blue is used for spotting blood in the dark when it is hard to tell if it is blood or just red coloring on a leaf

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there any information available on whether the Green light works better over Red light? If they work the same I think the green actually projects out more light while your walking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Light colors

It is all about the different wavelengths of the light waves emitted - red is shortest, the last time I checked:

Anyway, I use a white LED and just purchased some covers for them, they are made by Quake Industries(The Claw). I just pop the over the lamp and can flip open when I need the bright light

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
i like the idea of the blue light for tracking but the red and green dont give enough light for me. my headlamp has a main bulb that projects out for walking in the dark...it also has 3 LED's for looking at things close up (while getting situated in treestand).

Cyclops is the name i think.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
:thumbs_doSorry to tell you guys but deer have a form of night vision much like a coon or cat! they see as well at nite as a human sees on a cloudy day sorry all a bright light of any color dose is momentarily blind the deer much like a camera flash bulb dose us so color just dosnt matter.Try not walking through fields they feed in while comeing and going from your stands It "blows" but that is just deer biology 101 sorry !Remember these facts and the light is for your vision only! Their's is just fine thanks anyway LOL .most hunter and people try to put a human value on animals abilities but that is so far off base like their nose can smell so well we cant even begin to understand. It would be like smelling your wifes perfume at a mile in almost no wind simply unfathumable for us to compute!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Deer see the ultra violet and blues easer then we do.
Blue is supposed to help with tracking from what i've read.
I did some research on the gerber tracking light and would not recommened it
with all the bad reviews I've read.
As far as led lights I hate them for deer hunting I'd stay with xenon bulbs and a filtered lens if you want more light.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
:thumbs_doSorry to tell you guys but deer have a form of night vision much like a coon or cat! they see as well at nite as a human sees on a cloudy day sorry all a bright light of any color dose is momentarily blind the deer much like a camera flash bulb dose us so color just dosnt matter.Try not walking through fields they feed in while comeing and going from your stands It "blows" but that is just deer biology 101 sorry !Remember these facts and the light is for your vision only! Their's is just fine thanks anyway LOL .most hunter and people try to put a human value on animals abilities but that is so far off base like their nose can smell so well we cant even begin to understand. It would be like smelling your wifes perfume at a mile in almost no wind simply unfathumable for us to compute!
More like being able to smell you wifes scent at a mile in a crowded shopping centre.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Red and green lights don't washout the human eyes cones (or is it the rods) like a white light does. That means you will still have some night vision capability after you turn off a green or red flashlight and you will be back up to full night vision sooner.

I prefer green light, myself.

:cocktail:

·
Registered
688 Posts
LED hat

have you guys seen the hats put out by our latest AT sponser? www.bigbuckdown.com This is the best bowhunting product to hit since the blazer vane! a ultra brigh light that is built right into the hat. It is not any heavier than a normal hat and the LED's are aimed perfectly in front of you. You can get them at Lancaster Archery Supply these things rock! they have white light and white and green. They also have a blaze orange that has white and red LED's

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like the green lights, myself. I rarely use a light when walking to my stands, though. I have a small clip light that I attach to my hat when I climb up to my stand.

I hunted on state ground one year. A buddy and me were walking into our stands one morning and got to the edge of the timber. He had a red light (big 2-D cell) and I had a small green Streamlight. We could both see better with my green light than his red one. We ran across some reflective tacks that someone had set out. The green would make them shine like nothing else... but the red wouldn't hardly even pick them up.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I guess the consensus it that there is no advantage of one color of light over another when I am walking to my stand, as far as the deers perspective goes, but green and red will not ruin my night vision as bad as the white light. Starting to re-think buying the browning headlamp with all three colors. You guys might have saved me $45.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use a green LED head lamp. It doesn't mess up your night vision, and I have seen for myself that it does not bother deer. You know those times when it gets dark and there are still deer all around your tree. I have tried using the light to spook them, but they don't even acknowledge its presence.

I am sure red won't spook deer, but then again it won't help you see either so what is the point?

I tried a blue lamp for tracking, and that is such a crock! A white light is 10X better than a blue light for seeing blood. I would like to try that Primos red and green tracking light though. It looks like the real deal. I can't wait for a headlamp version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TLDR, red light doesn't damage your nightvision. That's why tail lights are red, fighter jet cockpits have red backlights on the instrumentation, etc.
Blue light goes the furthest (aka "is the brightest"), but is the most damaging to night vision. Think of those xeon headlights - the guy with them loves them because he can see really far, everyone else hates him because they blind everyone else.
I have no idea why they put green lights on the headlamps.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I used red for a couple years but disliked not being able to see past my feet walking to and from the stand in the dark. Switched to aheadlamp with a green setting on it this year, and am happy i can atleast see 5ft in front of me, and i can see limbs or sticks on the ground so i dont step on em and they snap.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Fenix makes a headlamp that is absolutely awesome when it comes to brightness. They are expensive but it completely drowns out my 300 lumen black diamond. Somehow the flood is great but it shines long distance too. 10x better for tracking than any headlamp I've seen. Heck better than the handheld lamps I've seen too

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
3%er
3,579 Posts
I try not to use lights. I can use the LED on my phone if I drop something, or to trail blood after dark. I have a trail that I make going to my stands. Making sure nothing hangs down to get your eyes. I clear leaf litter and get down to dirt. You have to kinda memorize the trees you go by. I will also lay down large dead limbs to guide me as I walk. Not totally a solid trail to my stand but enough you can pick it out in the dark. After your eyes adjust to the darkness, you can pick out the off color shade of the dirt from the ground clutter or litter. Sometimes I have noticed deer have begun to use these trails as I see tracks in the damp dirt sometimes. This also makes for a very quiet entry to your stand.

·
Registered
216 Posts
From my experience, red and green do not spook deer, coons, possums, etc like white light does. I can't run them off with red or green like white lights. May also be because the white is also a lot more lumens than the other colors bulbs usually. When I walk out, deer don't blow and run off near as much as the white after dark. I have climbed out of my stand more than once with red light and deer look curiously and ease of. Turn on the white and they turn inside out.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
And people think they are sneaking in walking in in the dark.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts