Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a red light or blue light in a flash light spook deer verses white light?

Is there an expert that can answer this question?

:confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
It is my understanding that deer see parts if not all of the blue and yellow spectrum of light but only see red as a form of gray. There was a very interesting post on another site about this very subject. Those guys were taking photos of their camo in black and white to see which was the best then someone brought up the blue/yellow issue and now looking at getting some filters to go on their camera.

Darkside

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
While far from an expert, I do go fox hunting and use a red light. I see many deer and they don't spook. This past opening morning going into my stand I was using my fox light and walked right up(20 yds) from a bedded buck on the powerline.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Aircraft use red lights in cockpit lighting to reduce the temporary harm to night vision which results from white light.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I have had deer bed under my stand in the AM, before first light. While they sit there and chew their cud, I have shined my mini mag flashlight right at them, probably had the opportunity to do this 15 or 20 times, and I have yet to have one spook. Seems like they can't even see the light, even if I move it around alot. This was with a regular double A mini mag, and the deer were 20 feet to 20 yards away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts