Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some popular thoughts about RedLines around here? I just outfitted my Tribute with a dozen brand new RedLine 420's.....just waiting for the wraps and fletchings to arrive and off we go. Any thoughts or suggestions???

Thanks in advance!!
--Brian :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
The shop I deal with swears by the redlines for hunting. Im going to use 410s out of my allegiance this yr. Some of the guys at the shop use 520s,didnt want that lite of an arrow. They have NO problem shooting through deer and caribou, even with expandings.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I shot them for a while. They shot great.....I shot some of my best 3D scores with them and they shot great for field. That being said I would hesitate to use them for hunting....One thing they are very light....second of all they aren't the toughest shaft out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thanks guys! While I have your attention, please tell me......the higher the number the heavier or lighter the shaft? I am set up with Redline 520s for my 60# BowTech Tribute @ 26-inches. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
---Brian

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Pine Buck said:
Cool. Thanks guys! While I have your attention, please tell me......the higher the number the heavier or lighter the shaft? I am set up with Redline 520s for my 60# BowTech Tribute @ 26-inches. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
---Brian

Is your drawlength 26" or is that your arrow length? Are these for hunting or target? You may have to go with a little less poundage and play with tip weight to get them to really perform there best. But you should beable to get them to work. If your draw is 26" then you will be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, LOL, sorry about that. Yes, my draw length is 26 inches and the arrows are cut to 25-inches even. I am installing Blazer wraps and Blazer 2-inch vanes as well as usuing 85-grain Montecs. When all added up, my overall arrow weight is about 295 each.

Does that sound right?

Thanks again,
--Brian

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Yep that sounds about right. Mine were about 295-300 grains at 26 1/8" with no insert and 100 grain points. My vanes were lighter than the Blazers are. They should work great for you. But I would want something heavier hunting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brown Hornet,
Thanks for your advice! I told a friend about what you said and he offered me his pile-O-Redlines!!! He just went over to some new types...don't remember the name...but they're fast, too. Anyway, went to pick them up and he hands me a stack of them...all 410s and there are 20 of them!! Wooohooo, X-mas came early for me, LOL.

You think those are better for hunting with than 520s???

Thanks!!
--Brian

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Brian,

Personally I would rather shoot the 420s for hunting. Your broad heads will fly a little better with a slightly stiffer shaft, plus you can go up in poundage if you want or need to. The main reason is that the arrow is just a tad heavier. There is no real need to shoot that light of an arrow for hunting (300 grains at 60lbs).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brown Hornet,
Thanks for your advice. What, in your opinion, is the optimal arrow weight for hunting whitetails here in NJ? They average about 175 pounds on the hoof (pre-gutting). Some bruisers are over 200 pounds, but rarely here in the pines, and please remember that the weights are with entrails......gutted bucks and big does here go around 90-110 pounds or so. Anyway, just curious as to your thoughts....thanks!

--Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts