· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup:

82nd Airborne at 68#
28" draw
28 3/4" Axis ST 340
Total arrow weight is 420 grain using 100 gr tip

I plan to reduce my draw weight to 60-62# for turkey hunting. If I change the tip weight to 125 grains, will I still be overspined with that arrow? Any thoughts are appreciated? If anyone's willing to run it through software it would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks,
IBT

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
You can crunch all the numbers you want through a computer. I'd recommend setting up your arrows and shooting the bow to see what they do.

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
personally i wouldnt lower the poundage...punch the arrow through the bird..even though at the weight you wanna put the bow at its still going to pass through.

I hear ya. The only reason I was going to lower it is that I've had several moments turkey hunting where I need to hold at full draw longer than I'd like. That 68# on the Airborne takes a little concentration. If I creep much, I'm losing it. Worth it for deer IMO but not so sure about turks. Reducing to around 60 or a tad above makes a huge difference on this bow.

· Registered
7,899 Posts
I hear ya. The only reason I was going to lower it is that I've had several moments turkey hunting where I need to hold at full draw longer than I'd like. That 68# on the Airborne takes a little concentration. If I creep much, I'm losing it. Worth it for deer IMO but not so sure about turks. Reducing to around 60 or a tad above makes a huge difference on this bow.

I here ya, just lower poundage and shoot it with your arrows and see how it is but I think you will be fine:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,612 Posts
For turkey hunting I shoot Easton Flatlines in 400 spine 27 inch arrow with Rage 100gr 2 blade broadheads...The arrow weighs 327gr...

Bow is set at 62lbs...

· The Godfather
7,310 Posts
You can crunch all the numbers you want through a computer. I'd recommend setting up your arrows and shooting the bow to see what they do.

Perfect idea

I use the largest expandable and 125 gr, 60 lbs and heavy arrow. I know it's hard but I like to try and not blow through the bird....easier to find arrow that way lol

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you shoot a turkey with a 82nd i doubt you will ever see that arrow again....:tongue:
Ok, I think I have it all ciphered out now. Turn bow down to 60, use heavier tip to bump up weight to about 450 gr. Large cutting diameter expandable (already do that) and Tracer nocks. Hunt turkeys by day, hunt arrows by night. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.