Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, got noticing the other day that all of my target arrows are in need of some new vanes. I havent really started hunting with my bow yet, its been impossible for me to take the stupid bow hunters ed class. But eventually this winter I want to try taking a coyote with the bow and possibly a spring turkey, so its time to get them refletched.

What is everyones oppinions, should i pony up and buy a jig? Should I just take them to the nearest bow shop and let them do it (Cabelas), or should I give those heat shrink vanes?

Im shooting a compound with carbon arrows and blazer vanes. Rest is a Whisker buisquit. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Yeah I'd shot that one...
1,759 Posts
First I need to say :
Cabelas is not a pro shop.

For the shooting you do, I suggest get the heatshrink veins. Cheap and easy. You can't really do them wrong and you will have a couple left over in case you neeed some later. They are the ticket in my opinion for the shooting you do.

CG

·
Registered
287 Posts
I only shoot target, and I have to fletch at least one arrow a week. So having my own jig is the only way to go. When I had larger arrows with Blazer vanes I used a Bohning Helix Jig it is easy to use, you can get different plates for either helical and straight. But for my target arrows(smaller shafts & vanes) I use a Bitzenburger jig. A lot more expensive. To me there is nothing better than doing your own fletches. If you decide to have a go yourself, make sure the shafts and vanes are cleaned (acetone). Now the glue debate starts.
Good Luck buddy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I know Cabelas isnt a pro shop but they are the nearest place to me that has at least half a clue about what they are doing.

Well heres my issue I am almost due for a new field point target. College doesnt allow for much so I am either looking at buying a jig and refletching my own and hoping I dont start seeing pass throughs and hurting my fletchings or getting the shrink wrap vanes and getting a new target. I dont want to say no fletching jig ever I just cant decide which I would benefit from more. I dont shoot much while in school but I heard there is a local 3d range that I want to go too this winter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just started fletching myself, and im so glad I did.

Check out the Arizona EZ Fletch. Im using the EZ Fletch Mini with blazer vanes and 30-06 fletch weld.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the Arizona EZ Fletch, I noticed that it put a little bit of a cant on the vanes so I wasnt sure how well that would work with a whisker biscuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts