Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (NFAA) have an agenda item that will be on the table this Febuary to combine these two styles, this I am sorry to say is needed for survival. There has been a lot of discussion at major shoots pertaining to this and the best way for us to grow is by combining. When you look at our best turnout, Vegas is always the top and there we all shoot together. Talk to your state Directors and let them know your feelings on this issue.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Known this is coming for some time.

My 2-cents. (I know this will piss some people off but frankly I don’t care. Put on your adult panties and join in) :wink:

The two WILL be combined no matter what is done at the local/state/national level so...
If the barebow shooter gives up the clicker, I, as a bowhunter, will give up the limitation for single string contact point on the string (string walking). As well as the limitation of stabilizer length.
Thus the two classes are combined and we can go forward.

With the bowhunter class being more restricted, there is nothing we have to give up in order to bring parity between the two.
With the elimination of the clicker that WILL be the single most effective way to equalize these classes.

Let the discussion begin. :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Oh... I forgot the new name for the combined classes, BareBowhunter.

Known this is coming for some time.

My 2-cents. (I know this will piss some people off but frankly I don’t care. Put on your adult panties and join in) :wink:

The two WILL be combined no matter what is done at the local/state/national level so...
If the barebow shooter gives up the clicker, I, as a bowhunter, will give up the limitation for single string contact point on the string (string walking). As well as the limitation of stabilizer length.
Thus the two classes are combined and we can go forward.

With the bowhunter class being more restricted, there is nothing we have to give up in order to bring parity between the two.
With the elimination of the clicker that WILL be the single most effective way to equalize these classes.

Let the discussion begin. :)

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a good start, Boyd don't forget to talk to your Director about what you would like to see
Vegas???

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Scrap both, along with FSL. Finger shooting compounds won't survive once the current competitors stop shooting it. None of the younger generation are interested.

Introduce Recurve Barebow with the exact same rules as World Archery to replace Trad.

-Grant

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grant that may be where this ends up when it's all said and done, but I think it may be a few years away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes the writing has been on the wall for a long time with finger shooting in general. I just started shooting again and I am shooting compound barebow. I love this style. my family and friends all shoot fingers 6 of us. I wish I could say that its going to change but I know different bows are made for release shooters now. I thank the nfaa for hanging on to the finger classes for this long. I hope that putting these classes together will help us keep this going for a few more years.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Grant that may be where this ends up when it's all said and done, but I think it may be a few years away.
Bob, It doesn't have to be years away. There is no need to slowly get to the end result. I've thought about this a lot and I'm in agreement with Grant that we need to get the styles of shooting in line with the World Archery association and the sooner the better.If that is not possible, I think Boyds recommendation of getting rid of the clicker and combining the classes is the best idea I have heard.

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ben, I don't care either way, but as you know you guys and gals need to talk with the Dirrectors and let them know how you would like them to vote or what to put on a 15 signature item as an alternative measure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As health and participation go, Harmony beats Dissonance. Alignment with the rest of the Archery shooting Earth, makes total sense. If half are happy and half are disgruntled in the end, I'd offer that's a strong indicator or fair decision making.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe that we should get on the same boat as the other archery associations. Trying to remember what is legal and what to practice just take some of the fun out of it.

Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got out of archery some twenty years ago because I did not like the reliance on technology which was taking over the sport. I dropped out of the California Bowman Hunters and NFAA for that reason. I have no right to address the issue of classes, as I am not in organized archery. However, the reason I am not, is that organized archery does not offer me anything now that I want to rejoin. I shot 50% let off with fingers, not well, but had a great time doing it with good friends. Now, I am not wanted by archery. Or so it would seem. Is this the work of the archery industry, or our modern world's need to find the path of least resistance? I just want to shoot and have fun. But competition, even if I did not win, was great. I guess I will die out with the old breed, perhaps before I even get restarted. I leave with this thought from Aldo Leopold, edited to apply to target archery, as it was originally more about hunting. "Our tools...improve faster than we do, and sportsmanship is the voluntary limitation in the use of those armaments."

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RCW please elaborate on what it would take to get you back in the NFAA and competition

·
Registered
150 Posts
rcw, could not said it better myself. I live close to st. louis and at one time target archery was pretty good around here and with that we had a good group of finger shooters\barebow. My pastor told me 25 years ago that finger shooting would become a thing of the past because of the release aid another thing he was right about.
If i had a vote i would join barebow\bowhunter together but i would also look into the recurve barebow class and like was mentioned earlier develop the same rules as fita. at leagues i am working with a young man shooting barebow i hope as always that he would stick with it but i am no longer a dreamer. i Will shoot barebow even if there is no longer a class for me i all ways got my back yard!

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two finger, we need folks just like you and RCW to help with the transformation if there is one and to regrow the finger class? I have been at this for over 37 years and refuse to give up, it is a uphill battle at times but I will not stop trying.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bob,
My thoughts exactly, i know i live in the past alot but years ago there where 4 of us that shot bare bow in st. louis and there where 4 guys in kansas city that shot bowhunter at the state shoot one year we would shoot bowhunter and the next they would shoot barebow we did that for a few years it was fun. i am hopeing to be able to join the nfaa next year finances just won't alow it right now. i am always the voice at the archery shop begging people to sign up for a target league. i will contact the state rep and voice my opinions. i'm with boyd for the sake of non sight in general lets get this done and keep this style alive. And again thanks to the nfaa in keeping finger classes open.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bob,
To your question: I would get back into archery if there was an active field course in my area, and if shooting a compound bow with fingers was not thought of as quaint. My local archery stores offer me what to my eye look like vertical crossbows and maybe one or two recurves. Nothing against the stores, or their friendly staff, they have to sell what the manufactures make, and the public asks for. I want to shoot a bow before buying it, and my only option of ordering a used bow off the internet gives me pause. So having "finger" bows at archery stores would help me, if not the owners. I started archery when the compound was but a gleam in Mr. Allen's eye, so I am a cornucopia of opinion, if not an accredited spokesperson. If you think it would help, I would be happy to communicate with you off-line, sparing the general public my tirades. I hope for the better, but, like Mr. Fezziwig, "I'll have to be loyal to the old ways, and die out with them if needs must."

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Bob,
I agree with Boyd here, ditch the clicker and put the two classes together. However, I am absolutely for the BB recurve class, get rid of the TRAD and Longbow classes and add BB recurve. I'll talk to you later (Vegas) about some other issues I am having in regards to the NFAA. Why get rid of Longbow? At the recent Outdoor Nat's of the male classes I was the only one (seniors) that had another competitor even though several LB shooters vowed to go. AT the Indoor Nat's there were 2 in adult and 2 in senior? If by next year this has not changed it should go away.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts