Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble not punching/jerking the trigger on my caliper release and would like some advice on any other type release( i have seen some good things on t handle style releases such as T.R.U ball pro diamond ) i might try. I have never shot anything other than wrist strap release and i have been wondering if a thumb trigger release might help with the target panic some. Any advice on this matter would be awesome. I will be using the release for hunting only. Thanks everyone and good luck this season and be careful!

Jason

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I use a pro diamond, and I can still get target panic, although I do love the release. I just like it for other reasons. It's worth a shot, if you want to try it. It will take some adjustment. Most guys don't like my release the first time they try it, but the ones that use if for a few shots will actually shoot better than with their own release. I say try it, just don't expect it to cure your trigger punching. What I find helps me with that is to shoot real close at a blank target. That way you don't concentrate on aiming. Just concentrate on squeezing the trigger real smooth til it goes off. Do that a bunch then move back and shoot normally.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
JTM80 said:
I'm having trouble not punching/jerking the trigger on my caliper release and would like some advice on any other type release( i have seen some good things on t handle style releases such as T.R.U ball pro diamond ) i might try. I have never shot anything other than wrist strap release and i have been wondering if a thumb trigger release might help with the target panic some. Any advice on this matter would be awesome. I will be using the release for hunting only. Thanks everyone and good luck this season and be careful!

Jason
Jason,

I can't say that one style of release is better than another because different shooters like different release types for different reasons. But I can tell you that if you presently are using an index-finger trigger and you pick up a thumb trigger version you won't punch it or freeze up -- because using it is a suddenly different pre-conscious experience and doing something different is one way to overcome an onset of target panic.

I prefer to shoot with a thumb trigger release. But when a target panic episode begins I switch to an index finger version, or I switch bows, or I change distance and target faces. That short-circuits the programmed mindset that causes anticipative jerking or freezing. When the TP episode subsides I return to my preference.

If you want a clue as to what type of release the pro shooters prefer, check out the Straight Talk From The Pros video in which you'll see that only one out of a dozen of the top pros uses an index-finger release.

If you'd rather not buy another release, one good way to overcome a target panic episode is blank-baling. Just stand about 10 feet from a blank backstop (no target face) and shoot without aiming at anything in particular. Just concentrate on your release. About fifty shots should get you over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and i think i will give a thumb triggered release a try. I have never shot anything other than index finger triggered releases. Keep the advice coming if anyone else has in info. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've got to tell you this story!

My friend, Jeremy, had target panic for four years and considered giving up archery even though he made his living in a archery shop.

As of this date, Jeremy has shot a Indoor 300 with 60xs, a 300 Vegas with a high 20xs, and shot a 544 Field round this year at the outdoor shoot.

Jeremy tells me he finally conquered his target panic with a very heavy trigger index finger release. He also shoots a thumb release with the same scores, but favors the index release.

Jeremy installs the heaviest spring he can in his releases and says that is the way he quit struggling with target panic.

Jeremy said he just aims and pulls with back tension, but aiming is the most important.

Works for Jeremy, but doesn't work for me, but I can tell you the Carter Quickie is what Jermey uses.

I bought and tried one and it just worn me out in a hurry, but it is something you might try if someone has one you can try!

Good Luck!:wink:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You need to find a release that has no felt trigger travel. A true back tention release(a release that has no calipers), there are many thumb fired releases that have excellent triggers, or if you want to stay with a wrist strap release, Carter makes several with no felt trigger travel. I personally have the 2 Shot from Carter and I can tell you there is ablolutely no felt travel. They also offer the Quikie series that I have heard good things about, but have no experience with.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
just my thoughts

I agree with the heavy trigger setting and the fact that you can punch a beautiful thumb triggered release, watch guys do it in my leagues all the time, kind of funny, they spend $150 on a release then they molest it everytime they touch it:pukey: Anyways, set your hunting release tougher, it should be set so that you can put your finger on the trigger without it going off, this way you cant time things, once your finger is on and you want to execute the shot you start the push pull and bam it goes off as a surprise. But like I said, just my thoughts and it could save you a bunch of money:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Keep pulling through with back tension

Jason: I had the same problem. Try raising your string arm higher, and continue to pull through the shot. It seems nearly imposible to punch the release while pulling through the shot.

Don

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
r302 said:
My friend, Jeremy, had target panic for four years and considered giving up archery even though he made his living in a archery shop.

As of this date, Jeremy has shot a Indoor 300 with 60xs, a 300 Vegas with a high 20xs, and shot a 544 Field round this year at the outdoor shoot.

Jeremy tells me he finally conquered his target panic with a very heavy trigger index finger release. He also shoots a thumb release with the same scores, but favors the index release.

Jeremy installs the heaviest spring he can in his releases and says that is the way he quit struggling with target panic.

Jeremy said he just aims and pulls with back tension, but aiming is the most important.

Works for Jeremy, but doesn't work for me, but I can tell you the Carter Quickie is what Jermey uses.

I bought and tried one and it just worn me out in a hurry, but it is something you might try if someone has one you can try!

Good Luck!:wink:
Good job JEREMY

·
Registered
960 Posts
I used to use the Stan/Copper John Eagle Trio middle finger release. It has a wrist strap which is a benefit when hunting and using higher poundage bows, and the middle finger trigger can be adjusted for travel and stiffness. You can fire it by either squeezing your hand to make a fist, or by pulling with back tension with your middle finger on the trigger. I sold mine to get a Scott Longhorn III because the Eagle was the release I learned on and I was still punching it - needed something different.

http://www.stanislawski.com/index.php?pName=eagle

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great advice. Thanks for the help. I have good days and bad days with the TP. If i shoot at night with very little light i seem to have a lot less trouble punching the trigger and freezing up while putting the the pin on the target. It is a daily struggle and hope i get it under control soon. I shoot a cheap Trufire caliper release. Do you think that this could be some of my trouble. When i do squeeze the trigger it feels like it has a mile of trigger travel.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
The carter 2 shot helped my shooting tremendously. You need to learn to preload the trigger then pull through the shot and your pin just sits there after you get used to it. Shot explodes by surprise. I am not great but I went from a b class 3d shooter to a AAA shooter and place in the top 5 every time now in my local tournaments in a years time

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you're feelin' all that travel it is deffinitely affecting your shot and intensifying your target panic. If you have a local pro shop, go there and ask to try a back tension release. You will be amazed at how you are able to aim again now that you aren't thinking about that trigger. I had TP so bad I could'nt even come close to a McKenzie or a spot without jamming the trigger, a back tension release cured me and I was slowly able to go back to a wrist strap release, but you've got to have one with no felt travel. You can buy a lower model Stanislosky back tension release for around 50 - 60 bucks, it is the answer if you want a cure, at least it was for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about HHA back tension releases. Anyone ever try one? Do you use back tension for hunting or just for practice? Thanks for all the help everyone i sure do need it.:wink:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
JTM80 said:
What about HHA back tension releases. Anyone ever try one? Do you use back tension for hunting or just for practice? Thanks for all the help everyone i sure do need it.:wink:
I have had a can't punch release and I have a loesche. I think the loesche which is basically the same as the hha is easier to learn but I know a guy who shot the can't punch lights out, I never gave it much of a chance I liked the 2 shot better.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I have been shooting a TruFire Judge for over a year and I shoot very well with it. As others have said, setting the trigger's spring tension higher and reducing the travel as much as possible has helped a lot. I do shoot better like that. It's also quite easy to use backtension with it. A few weeks ago I bought a Copper John/Stan Eagle 2 finger. One of these, but with a leather buckle strap.

It feels familiar with the strap, but the middle finger trigger is even easier to shoot with back tension than an index trigger (for me anyway) and the travel is short with plenty of tension with a crisp, quick release. It's heavy enough to promote a slow "squeeze" instead of a quick jerk if backtension is not your preferred method of trigger actuation.

Like mentioned, though, a release alone is not enough to stop "punching" because you'll just learn the new release. Often punching seems to be caused by an erratic hold on target and trying to time the release on the "drive by". Making a few small changes in your setup can help you hold steadier and thereby help eliminate punching.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts