Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m shooting a thumb release currently but I struggle with target panic what is the best release to help with that while continuing to be easy enough to shoot so I can work on form.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,378 Posts
There isn't any one release that rids target panic. Even a hinge can lead to target panic. A hinge is a learn procedure and can a be a long one. I turned into a wreck switching to a hinge and had to start all over.

What thumb release?

Wondering if it's set up correctly. The trigger should be set heavy enough to get a good feel of the barrel and not fire. There should be no creep. It should break like glass. Thumb barrel position should be set to give equal pressure on the fingers. At anchor the fingers should lay flat, let relaxed, but stay "J" hooked.

Draw length can be the problem. Too short is better than too long which most seem to be. Either can give problems. I want well anchored first and then work on the bow arm for draw length. I can live with 1/8" too short, but don't like 1/8" too long. Pulling into the wall can lead to the shakes - okay, stress. Too long you can't stay on the wall without change to form or anchor or stretching the bow - change to grip.

Working on form, getting on target can be the problem. So practice getting on target using good form and not fire. Hold there so long and let down. Do it a 100 times over, more if necessary.

Allow 15 to 17 seconds between let downs and even shots. This bit a of rest can allow strength to return to 100%.

·
Registered
50,712 Posts
Target panic above all is a mind game that shows up in the release. Drop the traditional target bullseye, blank bale shoot from a very short distance. Concentrate on form and follow thru. Reset the mind.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,378 Posts
Dale has some good points, but blank baling requires you do things right, not ingrain faults all the more.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I sometimes do the recurve thing with the compound, but not only no tgt face, no sight. Concentrate on form only.

·
Registered
50,712 Posts
I sometimes do the recurve thing with the compound, but not only no tgt face, no sight. Concentrate on form only.
In my opinion recurve and compound shooting are totally two different disciplines. I would never suggest crossing the two styles. Especially attempting to correct what the OP is attempting to do.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Like stated tp is 100% mental but there are things that can help beat it. I've had as bad of tp as anyone...at 10yds I couldn't even hit target. Switching to a thumb helped but was still a trigger puncher. About a month ago I decided it was truly time to get rid of it. I got a Stan PerfeX resistance that I feel really did it for me. Little shaky to get used to but it basically retrained my brain that it's ok to hold on target. Levi Morgan has 3 series YouTube video "how to break target panic". I shot the resistance release for about a month and was getting really comfortable so decided to mix in my thumb release. I set it up like this video and use the shot process described. Shooting is fun again and I'm shooting the best I ever have. If I get a little sloppy with the thumb I go back to the resistance for a bit. Good luck.
https://youtu.be/ouOJhzOFJb0

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
In my opinion recurve and compound shooting are totally two different disciplines. I would never suggest crossing the two styles. Especially attempting to correct what the OP is attempting to do.
I Lean the other way. Coming from several years layoff from compounds, and alot of self learning with the recurves for those years, of course much of it involving Rod Jenkins ( which is where the blank bales came from ) now back into my compounds , many good learned form techniques carried over and greatly improved my compound shooting.

Today i shoot both. And i lived his compound target panic bad, so bad i missed the same deer 3x , in 10 minutes.
I called the shop from the woods, and ordered a xbow. I knew for now my compound days were over. Sold everything.
Then came 5 tough years of learning the recurves. Bought 2 customs, and a 74 Kodiak Hunter.

It was 2011 February, when all that went down. Today, i have 2 compounds, i shoot a thumb release because it allows me to use the same 3 fingers as the recurve shooting.
I do not struggle with the panic any more. I still mix & shoot both recurve & compound.

MY Number 1 Tip to the OP— Put the bows away for some time, a month minimum.
Get involved in another activity or hobby. Don’t cheat. I would suggest kayaking, scout new spots, whatever. When you do go back, bring 1 arrow. Not a quiver full.
Go early in the morning. Alone. Absolutely no one with you to “ try this “. Shoot with both eyes Wide Open. Shoot close. Easy shots. Only shoot a few arrows and put it up. Go do something else.

You are shooting too much. It is Psychological, feeding on itself. ( like the Rompola bashing did )

·
Registered
7 Posts
To echo what Rhino8124 said above, I think a resistance (or tension) activated release can really help with target panic. It forces you to pull through the shot and usually results in a surprise shot as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shooting a hinge really helped me with target panick. Like alot. I use the truball goat in Hinge mode currently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Target panic is not exclusive to the hunter/backyard shooter. Do a video search and you will discover that the "Pros" are plagued by it too.
I think it is definitely a mental thing, you have to learn how to manage you shot process and execute each step systematically. the panic happens when your bow wont stay still, and you panic as your sight pin approaches the bullseye and you go straight to "PULL THE TRIGGER !!!".

I have learned form self analyzing my shot process, that often, my peep/sight ring alignment if off center ever so slightly, or my grip is torquing the bow. or I'm just tired.
some of my worst shooting happens when I pick my bow up for the first shots outside on a nice winter day. its horrible. I would suggest not shooting a lot of arrows, just quality shots. maybe a dozen tops if it falls apart stop shooting and put it away for the day.

work on core and back and shoulder exercises; Pushups are amazing for that. 20 slow methodical pushups help with the archery muscle groups.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,167 Posts
I would find a reputable coach. It's kinda hard to say "this release will work for you" as all our brains are wired different and we have different shooting styles.

I've gone from wrist strap to thumb back to wrist strap to hinge. I shoot the wrist strap (2nd iteration) using back tension, and I'm still learning the hinge and trying different styles to activate it.

As said above, a hinge is a commitment. My X count increased, but so has my 4 count (on an NFAA 5 spot). You usually shoot a hinge worse until you develop a consistent shot execution method. There's a few different ways to shoot a hinge (relaxing the index finger, pulling/back tension, manipulating the rotation, etc.) which is what makes it so difficult, not to mention finding the right anchor position for the moon/sear to click/disengage.

Also as said above, work on the core muscles... I find slow wide-arm and diamond pushups to work the necessary muscle groups the best.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One thing everyone's brain has in common it the desire to get better. As soon as you try to hard it all fall's apart. Stop trying so hard and go back to having fun.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,378 Posts
Around archery long enough you'll see things that are beyond. I advocate getting on target. You can't stay on target you're bound to rush the shot or do the Drive-by shooting thing which aggravates the first problem.

Okay, working at a archery shop with Indoor range. So a few came in just to practice. I was watching and here is this kid slamming his index trigger. I looked closer and his index finger was a good 1 to 1 1/2" from the trigger when he slammed the trigger. The thing is, he was hammering the target like no tomorrow. Okay, not target grade shooting, but hitting very well. What I noticed was his intent of looking at the target and looking right through the shot - Okay, follow through. His bow was still pointing at the target after the arrow hit.

Unlike some noted above, I've never lifted weights, done pushups and whatever. Busted up, surgery 5 times, and what exercise I did was in therapy. Twice I had to build myself back up, but through shooting. Hand overhauled (artificial wrist/thumb joint - 14 weeks in a cast) I started with a kids 12 pound compound bow. Release side shoulder overhauled (rotor cuff, separated shoulder, detached bicep and scapula) and just therapy. Releases by the Therapist at 14 weeks and then released by Surgeon at 16 weeks, I began with a 50 pound compound bow, but 2 and maybe 3 shots per session and then built upon it.

The hinge is a learned procedure and the tension release has to be learned also. The tension release has to be held just so for each and every shot or it will fire before you want to or you have to add more and more tension to get it to fire.....And then switching from a index to either there is learning a new anchor, making adjustments to the bow (peep height and perhaps draw length).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Target panic is a mental problem. Not an equipment problem.

I suggest you look up Joel Turner at Shot IQ (formerly Ironmind Hunting). He has been on the Gritty Bowmen podcast twice, and on The Push podcast à handful of times.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'd look for someone who has been thru all of the above advice, worked thru all that, one who has been in the arena, fought the panic fight, and prevailed. Do what he/she says. This individual likely has been shooting since the 1980's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Add a little movement as levi morgan says. Watch bowmar archery video on turning a thumb button into hinge. I have been doing that for about a month and as long as your using your ring and pinky fingers to drive the thumb button into your thumb you should be getting that surprise release that your looking for

1 - 18 of 18 Posts