Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a finger shooter who has never used a release aid, I was wondering if a release aid would enable an archer with a 30-31" draw length shoot a bow with a maximum draw length of 28". Does this make sense?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I am no expert But

There is no way I know of to make up 2 to 3 inches of draw length using a release. You need to change cams and/or String and cables. i am sure that I am right about this but I am sire you will get many more opinions

·
Registered
760 Posts
What HV said. There are various rules of thumb out there, but so much of it depends on the release. All of my various releases result in different DL settings on a bow.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You may be able with a release and a D-loop be able to use the bow. Most archers get bows that are to long a draw. Do a search under draw length and you will find the new way to measure your own draw by holding your arms out like making a cross and measure from fingertip to finger tip and then there is a conversion table. Checkout storm archery as they have the table on there site as well.......

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
using the cross measurement from fingertip to finger tip if the measurement is:

71 inch 28 inch draw
72 28.5
73 29
74 29.5
75 30
76 30.5
77 31

I found this to be the right way to measure, for years every bow I got was 31 inch, now I am drawing 28.5 with a caliber winn type release and the bow fits just great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use to be a finger shooter too. I then went to a caliper. Then to a Back Tension release. I also shot a 31" draw. So, my experience may be helpful to you.
1. Use the wingspan chart, it is an excellent
method in terms of a starting point, as
a rule of thumb, but remember, it may not
be the final answer for your form.
2. I subtracted from the chart the length of
my D-loop, if you shoot one. I would
advise that you do, even with a caliper
so you can have the string touch the tip
of your nose.
3. Then, decide which release you want to use,
as that will change you anchor.
4. Then, shoot. Then, shoot some more at
longer and shorter settings, until you find
your magic spot.

I went from 31" to 28" DL!! You may experience some frustration, but stick with a program of shooting in front of a target with no sight for as long as it takes. The advantage of going down in DL is that it gives you better back tension and for me it put my bow arm shoulder in a relaxed position. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good luck. I should stress that you need to experiment with these changes until you find what works for you. This process is frustrating and takes time...
It helped me to copy pictures of top archers to give me some starting points. Someone once said on Archery Talk, however, that a person cannot copy what another does and expect the exact same results. This really makes sense since most body types are different. But, the general form methods of some of the top archers is a good place to start. And, get the camera out!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Draw Length

You can change the length of your D Loop if you use one. Not 2-3" but maybe a half inch or so. I've been playing with that lately as a bow I have is a hair short. If you put your nose on the string does it make much difference though? I suppose it could get your elbow more in line if it was too out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Q2XL
I like your scope and target pic...great stuff. I have been working with my D-loop too, it gives me the option of changing my elbow postion while leaving my front half - string on tip of the nose - in front of the shot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pic

I got that off the MSAA web site that hammer does here in Minnesota. I had to shrink it in Adobe. I see another person has copied it Feel free to do that if you like. And if Hammer reads this, thanks for the cool pic Hammer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts