Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using an old trigger release with my friends old Browning bow. I am looking into buying a new bow, but I'm not sure when this will be. In the mean time, I thought upgrading my release would be a good idea as I am going to want a new one anyway. I am looking to get a thumb release aid to get a more solid anchor point and try to better my form. My current release aid is pretty old and uses velcro to fasten, which means I don't necessarily get the same fastening point everytime I put it on. I have only shot with a friends thumb release once and was not a fan. His did not fully lock/enclose the d-loop, a feature I would be looking for. I am currently between the Nock 2 it, the Stan Perf X, and the Cobra Harvester. Does anyone have any opinions on the matter? How about other recommendations? I think I would prefer a 2-finger release or at least the option.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,787 Posts
Stan is tops. I love my Shootoff..........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey man, Im not sure if you're dead set on thumb release but if you are I have a Tru Fire Hardcore 4 Finger Revolution thumb release. I think it's pretty decent and is running on sale on amazon for 128.99 rn. If you're open to any kind of release, I just recently bought the Spot Hogg Wise guy BOA edition and I am a HUGE fan of it. Crisp, clean, and quick release. Boa makes it nice for tightening it but can be kinda loud. Also you can fold the release back so it is out of the way while still attached. Check them out man!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Stan , Carter and Truball are the most popular brands.I think the Stans have the best adjust ability for fit.
Three finger thumb releases are the most popular followed by four finger , and two finger respectively.
High quality used releases are in good supply in the classified section and can be bought and sold with little effort until you find a release that works for you.
To use the classified section requires 20 new user post.

·
NOOBY
923 Posts
Stan, they are awesome. Won't use anything else. But Carter or any big name will be good, all have great quality. I just think Stan is the best....so worth the price

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I just recently started shooting with a Stan SX3 after years of shooting a wrist strap index trigger. Highly recommend the SX3 as it has tons of adjustability and also has the training lock pin so you can experiment with different settings without punching yourself in the face or having misfires. I did upgrade the thumb barrel to a 3/4” Ex-Okie which greatly improved the overall feel of the release for me.

·
NOOBY
923 Posts
I just recently started shooting with a Stan SX3 after years of shooting a wrist strap index trigger. Highly recommend the SX3 as it has tons of adjustability and also has the training lock pin so you can experiment with different settings without punching yourself in the face or having misfires. I did upgrade the thumb barrel to a 3/4” Ex-Okie which greatly improved the overall feel of the release for me.
I have the same set up, only I have the heavy version. I can't recommend the Ex-okie add on enough, such a great piece!!

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Being new & not knowing what you want in a thumb as far as 2,3, or 4 finger I would look at TRU Ball Abyess as it comes with the ability to change it to
any of the 3 style thumb releases & you can also move the hook so it is right in front of your finger or off to the side. Probably the most adjustable thumb
releases available. Watch the classifieds as some times can get a good deal on one.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,479 Posts
The guy does not even have a bow of his own and you guys are telling him to buy a $250 release? That's silly
If he had $250 he could buy a pretty decent bow.

when I first went to a thumb release I went with a Hot Shot Vapor, bought it off of here real cheap. It was betwen it and the Rave 3 After I got use to a thumb release I then upgraded

to the OP, I would not get a 2 finger thumb release,for starting, maybe the Tru Ball Rave 3 sometimes they come up for sale on here but you have to be quick as they usually do not last a day, if priced right...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started with an inexpensive trigger release and then wanted to try a thumb release without spending a bunch of money and bout a 3 Finger BlackOut from Cabela's for $80. I really liked it but planned on replacing it with a more expensive release because it sounded like the thing to do. But it has worked so well, now with over 3000 arrows through it it I just don't have a reason to replace it. It's adjustable, very smooth and reliable. A great place to start with a thumb release.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,804 Posts
when i first used a thumb i tried to selling it two days after i started using it because i couldnt figure it out. i decided to dedicate myself to learning to shoot it and now i cant go back to an index release. once you learn to execute a surprise shot with back tension (or some kind of hand manipulation if you prefer) i can guarantee your shooting will tighten up. it just might be one of those things where it gets worse before it gets better. i use a scott pursuit and i really like it. if you wanna stick with an index release i would definitely get a buckle so you get the same tightness on it time after time, i never understood the velcro or the new "boa" system like on the wiseguy. seems like it would be inconsistent

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
OP you mentioned a Stan Perfex. I have had mine for a year and a half now. It was ridiculously expensive, but I love it and will never need another. Buy once, cry once. After I got on to it, which was reasonably fast, I found that the draw and anchor feel way more natural than my wrist release ever did. I used a wrist release for years. My draw length lengthened with the thumb style. My form and accuracy has improved. Very few, if any, "punching" issues now.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Carter all the way no doubt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2.

The TRU Ball GOAT and the Spot-Hogg Wiseguy.

I liked the WiseGuy until I purchased the GOAT, the difference is night and day. I use it on hinge mode and it feels so much more consistent for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of your recommendations so far. The main thing I am looking for is adjustability and a full enclosure on the D-loop. I'd like to make the purchase once and stick with it, so I'd like some options on the adjustability so I can try things out and make it my own. For example, trying 2, 3, and 4 finger modes to see which I like best. I've found that there are a lot out there with the adjustability, but not a whole lot that I've found with a full enclosure. Has anyone found a really nice release like this? I'm really considering the Stan PerfeX long neck, as it has a full enclosure. The only problem is that I was looking forward to increasing the draw length a little with the shorter version and keeping the string closer to my hand as I think this would feel more natural to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My brother uses Tru Ball releases and is using that model. I tried it and it is very nice. I like my Stans better probably because I am used to them more than anything else. They seem more ergonomic to me I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts