Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new bow and was trying out some releases. I have always used a glove style with a trigger. tried using a back tension release and didnt care for it to much. Started to try a different style of shooting and im not sure how I like it. Tryed using my release similar to a back tension instead of squeezing the trigger. How do you guys and gals use your release? A back tension, regular style and squeeze the trigger, or regular style and try to use it like a back tension (by squeezing your back muscles)? Have you had better accuracy?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
back tension the right way plain and simple. . . after a lot of practice you can transition to a thumb and use it as back tension but you will still need reinforcement!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I use both a thumb trigger and a wrist style release and shoot them using back tension. For the thumb trigger, you shoot it just like a hinge style but instead of the hinge rotating, the release rotates the trigger into the thumb and sets it of. For the wrist style, I place good pressure on the trigger with my middle finger then push my back muscles together which rotate my arm and pull the finger into the release.

Shooting back tension style is definitely more accurate for me. It won't be for most people at first and definitely takes some practice, but it is well worth it in the end.

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
2,267 Posts
Thumb as back tension

I am using a thumb release and using like a back tension. It still gives me the "surprise" when it goes off yet if I need to time a shot (ie moving target) I still have the flexibilty of a thumb.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Back tension

Back tension done the proper way!!! AnYeas, accuracy like I never imagined! But You can't "try" back tension. You have to learn it and it takes DISCIPLINE!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Punch

I am using a thumb release and using like a back tension. It still gives me the "surprise" when it goes off yet if I need to time a shot (ie moving target) I still have the flexibilty of a thumb.
You can still "control" a hinge release if You need to. There is no need for a trigger, EVER, in my opinion!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
You can definitely "punch" or command a hinge release. Just because it is a hinge does not mean that you'll shoot it using proper back tension.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Im a puncher and proud of it!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
set your trigger stiff and make your finger a hook and work on using your back to fire the release. this will take a long time to master but you will be a better shooter if you work on it

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
release

I use back tension with all aspects of archery: trad. shooting, also compounds with all styles of release aids. I personally am a more accurate shooter this way. :yo:

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
2,267 Posts
This is where I am coming from

I agree you can "cheat" a back tension and get it to go off. But my point is that you still don't know the exact time of release, like you would with a trigger style release. I personally used a Carter Solution 2.75, which had the safety, and that release because of the safety feature you could have it go off in no consistant place so it was completely unpredictable and hard to cheat and "time" a shot. On the other hand my Truball Ultra gold that was more predictable, but was still hard for me to time. Maybe I am way off base but I am not saying you can't command a back tension, but you can't (or at least I could never) command it when I wanted it to go off. Man I am starting to sound like a politician. Please shoot me now before it gets worse!!!:angel:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Would you recommend a back tension release to a newbie

I agree you can "cheat" a back tension and get it to go off. But my point is that you still don't know the exact time of release, like you would with a trigger style release. I personally used a Carter Solution 2.75, which had the safety, and that release because of the safety feature you could have it go off in no consistant place so it was completely unpredictable and hard to cheat and "time" a shot. On the other hand my Truball Ultra gold that was more predictable, but was still hard for me to time. Maybe I am way off base but I am not saying you can't command a back tension, but you can't (or at least I could never) command it when I wanted it to go off. Man I am starting to sound like a politician. Please shoot me now before it gets worse!!!:angel:
or would it just confuse them more. I'm not getting a mental picture of this whole operation. It sound like when you have the right tension it just fires. Is that right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts