Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the follow through with an index style release as pronounced as it is with a back tension or thumb release? I try to focus on it, but at the same time I don't want to force/exaggerate the follow through. Fairly new to archery so please be kind lol thank in advance!

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,133 Posts
Don't focus on follow through unless you are at a 5yd or so target. Focus on shot process and see where your follow through ends up.

All things being equal, it should be at least as far back as your shoulder but forcing it back there consciously won't help you at all.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The follow through is a reaction to the unloading of back tension during the shot.

while I'm pulling through, Im concentrating on pulling my elbow back and squeezing my shoulder blades. when the shot breaks my release hand ends up over the top of my release hand shoulder.

anything more is just exaggeration IMO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Keep in mind everyone's "follow through" is different depending on how they "load up" their shot. (Basically their push pull or the amount of pressure applied to their forward bow and how much they pull through their shot with their back half)
For instance someone who has a more static shot process will most likely have a different looking follow through then someone who is very dynamic and pulls hard through their shot.
I would encourage you to not focus on your follow through and just allow it to happen naturally I say this because your follow through plays a critical role in helping you evaluate each shot. For instance a weak follow through in my shot process usually indicates that my shot broke down this usually comes from over holding causing my bow arm to become fatigued therefore causing me to loose that necessary pressure pushing forward.
Sorry for the long winded answer to a simple question, hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It has always been harder for me to get a surprise release with an index trigger as compared to a thumb. When I anticipate, my follow through reflects it. Whichever release you use, consistency is key. Try to do it the same way every time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
You would need a stiff trigger index, to have a real follow through and a back tension shot. I shoot a Carter "like Mike" and you can accomplish this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts