Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my release is holding me back in indoor archery. I don't have a problem lining up my shot and holding but sometimes my release ruins an otherwise good shot. I try to release straight back but sometimes I don't and get a little twitchy. Any tips to work on?

Also I sometimes have a problem with high arrows which I think is caused by my anchor may be dropping a hair OR inconsistent pressure on the grip.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have some good shots that go where I'm pointin' and then the next one will be way off target. Typically to the left. Since I'm a right handed shooter, I'm fairly certain is this is me pulling the string away

I'm looking at this right now. So I'll be trying this out next chance I get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7N3gJePX4I

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
You can work on getting all of the tension out of your string hand before starting the execution.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
red -

You realize that you're basically asking "how do I shoot", right?

You have little if any control of the release. If you try to control it, you'll ultimately screw it up.

Based on your post:
1. Anchor variability isn't an option. If you can't get it in the same place every time, nothing else is going to matter. Kinda like shooting a rifle with a loose rear sight.
2. Follow-through is a function of alignment and back tension (pulling through the shot). If your hand comes straight back sometimes, and not others, it means you are collapsing on the "others".

Without seeing you in person, the following are generic suggestions:

1. Set up a shot sequence. Focus on the things you typically have trouble with.

2. Pick an anchor and don't change it. If it's even slightly off, STOP and start over.

3. See if you can do it "right" under controlled conditions. Unfortunately, that means blank bale shooting, specifically thinking about the follow-through. When that feels right, transfer over to a safe target. Safe meaning 5 yards or so and see if you can still do it.

4. As it starts to feel easy, move back to more realistic distances.

That assumes that you know how to grip the string, etc.

Yes, there are devices or more specific drills that might help, but you have to start somewhere and I would do the above before trying more synthetic means.

Unless you're a professional, there are always going to be "ouch" shots, and some will be out of your control. The trick is to stack the deck in your favor and abort the ones that you know ain't right.

Viper1 out.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I felt foolish asking the question since I've been shooting since 1955 and I don't seem to have this trouble outdoors in 3-D, stumping or hunting. Last Sunday my first 6 rounds on the top were a little erratic with a couple in the 20s and then into the teens fo rthe balance. The last 6 on the bottom was much better with all 6 in the 20s. I felt much more relaxed and in control on the last 6 rounds than the first 6. Before last year I never devoted much time to indoor shooting and am finding it's harder than it looks.

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
Great suggestions from Viper. I'd add that the "release" is not a step in the shot sequence; it just happens during the hold/expansion phase. IF you are thinking about "release" then you are going to ""make" it happen rather than letting it happen.

Arne

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No reason to feel foolish asking your question at all. Good question, and good answers. My weakest link before I had to stop shooting was my release, butthe good news was I started seeing what was happening, and was able to catch it and fix it for the most part. I don't think enough is said about how to get to the point of letting a release happen. It seems like it would be a daunting task to teach someone to be in a state to let it happen, and also be able to abort the shot. When I get to shoot again, I hope I don't have to relearn everything over again, lol!!! Lunger

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
red -

I know how long you've been shooting ;) .
Besides just bustin' yer shoes, is it possible you just had a bad day???

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
A whole list of things could be happening, make a list and eliminate each one.

For me it's usually, too much finger pressure due to poor placement, lack of bone on bone anchor (which messes with BT and gives inconsistent release) or anticipating the release. It's amazing how often we have to keep check on these small details, at 20y if it's out the spot 95% of the time I know exactly what I did wrong and how not to do it next time, doesn't mean I wont do it again but at least I know lol

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You look a little shaky at times. Are you comfortable with the bows draw weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've never posted a video of myself shooting but to answer your question, no, the draw weight is only 26# due to two shoulder impingements this year so weight is not a factor. In fact it may be too low now. Usually shoot 36# indoor.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be in indoor shooting I'm point on and probably am focusing on the point moving around on the spot and not the release. My release was much better on the second half so that's what I'll have to do. Be more relaxed and focus on the release instead of the moving point.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Sorry to hear about the shoulder issues. Ouch!

I find that my release gets very touchy in the 20's draw weights. It is quite a challenge - really requires a very clean smooth release.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
This is kind of what Moebow said, but in a different way.

You don't have a bad release, you have a bad 'set up' for your release. Release and follow through are reactions to actions of your - 'set up'. If the first part of your sequence is good your release and follow through will be good.

Just ask you coach.

Bowmania

1 - 14 of 14 Posts