Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting my S4 with a Carter MiniEvo + for about 3 months consistently now with a total of about 1,500 without shooting a different release. The release feels great and the shot feels perfect if i execute each muscle motion correctly.

Today I received my Insatiable2 in the mail and shot the S4 with it. One thing I can say is wow. The groups, regardless of distance, became much much MUCH tighter than with the Evo.

Question: With the evo my bow arm is much more shakier than with the insatiable. Would dropping the poundage on the bow by about 3 lbs be beneficial to have a steadier shot with the evo and potentially improve the shot with the insatiable?

Shooting at 18, I noticed that if i do two practice ends with the evo I will group at the 10 ring on a vegas face where as shooting the insatiable after warming up I can group nearly all in the X using really thin arrows.

Lastly, sight settings are different with the two releases. I shot 2 groups of 4 arrows each with the two different releases and the group with the evo is consistently lower and to the left of the group with the insatiable. does that say something about my arrows or more about my release procedure/form?

For those who shoot both BT and trigger releases, do you just use your BT for training and form and the trigger for scoring rounds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes I use my Scott Longhorn for training and shoot my Carter target master pinky for tourys. Helps me stay in control of my shots.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
What you're experiencing isn't out of the norm on either front: holding steadier with the Insatiable and different impact points with the two releases.

Regarding the holding steadier, couple possible reasons for that. First, you could have your Evo set up hard and therefore causing you to hold longer to get the shot to go off compared to the Insatiable. Second, could have the Evo set up harder and hence having to work the back muscles more to get the shot to go off, or possibly using the wrong set of muscles (i.e. shoulder/arm) to get the shot to go off. Or possibly with the Evo you have a little bit of apprehension or anticipation on when the release is going to go off and are tensing up as you pull through the shot....anticipating the shot will go off too quickly or take too long. Funny thing, I've shot a thumb trigger for years and I have just the opposite effect when I pick up a hinge or Evo. I hold much steadier with either of those style of releases.....just can't get them to go off consistently (not enough time spent using them) enough.

As far as the point of impact being different. That could possibly be just due to design differences in the two releases. The way the release hooks up on the d-loop, direction the gate opens, type of hook on the release, etc., can all contribute to different groups for different releases. And then again, you could also be pulling into the wall harder or be using slightly different form when shooting the two different releases as well which could be contributing to the poi differences. Not unusual however to have different releases impact differently downrange.

Few thoughts....................:)

>>-------->

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
The insatiable has 4 fingers. That could be one reason. The other is you are probably commanding the shot vice pulling until it goes off. I notice going the other way that when I use my Sensation release I feel as if I am not holding as well but the results have been better for me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Evo and Just-Cuz........

Personally I can go from my Evolution to my Just-Cuz with out changing anything. Impact point for me is exactly the same. I've even switched back and forth during league and tournaments.

The Sensation by Carter has been designed to shoot to the same point as the Evolution. When they bring out a Mini-Sensation to compliment the Mini-Evolution they will have all the bases covered.:wink:

SLash

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Personally I can go from my Evolution to my Just-Cuz with out changing anything. Impact point for me is exactly the same. I've even switched back and forth during league and tournaments.

The Sensation by Carter has been designed to shoot to the same point as the Evolution. When they bring out a Mini-Sensation to compliment the Mini-Evolution they will have all the bases covered.:wink:

SLash
I think the Evolution and the Just-Cuz would be very comparable. It is extremely hard to get most releases shooting together. I am certainly not a great shot. I however, have much better luck in general with a thumb release. I have some back tension release which I use for practice, but I always go back to my Carter Just-Be-Cuz before a contest.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Primarily for Training

I switched from fingers to a release a couple of months ago after almost 40 years of competitive shooting and bowhunting. I never had a problem pulling through the shot when finger shooting and switched for different reasons (elbow pain and some soreness in my string hand that led to inconsistent shooting).

When I first started shooting a release, I began with a Spot Hogg Friday Night Delight (a great, very comfortable, open-jaw thumb release that I WILL use for hunting). I then began shooting a Carter Ember II. After seeing some improvement in my 600 round scores, I started trying to shoot too controlled and too fine a shot and began [what I call] "cheating"; my pin would settle in the X ring and I'd punch the release, not wanting the dot to move or float at all. My follow-through became almost non-existent, like shooting a rifle and my scores started to plummet.

I was shooting on a Wednesday evening with a couple of pros in my club and one of them handed me an Evolution saying, "You REALLY need to start practicing with one of these." I had EXTREME difficulty shooting his Evolution; it had the heaviest trigger and it was cranked down quite a bit, so I had to pull like crazy to get it to fire - but what a follow through! I shot it for about an hour and a half that evening and improved considerably, shooting 1 1/2 to 2-inch groups in the middle of a single spot.

I ordered one immediately, it came in on Friday, and I shot it A LOT for three days. The next Monday, at our 600 league, I switched back to my Ember II and shot it really well for two games; cheated on a couple of shots on the third (150) game, causing my score to drop quite a bit; and came back up the third game (after shooting several shots with my Evolution).

I've only had the Evolution for a week, but I'm sold. In that short period of time, my form - and my scores - have improved considerably and I'm enjoying shooting again. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it for any indoor leagues, 3-D, or field shoots, but I'll practice with it religiously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts